Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Cloudy but not cold. Maybe a slight risk of a shower later but should be nothing major

Cloudy but not cold. Maybe a slight risk of a shower later but should be nothing major

Sounds about right, the cloud should die back later too so hopefully a good night for a walk with MrsC's dog. All I want now is some proper heat but the outlook isn't showing that much of promise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Nice evening. Not posted in here in a while due to non-descript weather. Been fairly wet until the last 2/3 days.

Nothing to say really... We await the arrival of summer.

I had to lay very low for the first few days of the week after getting cremated down in Gloucestershire.

I've come to the sad realisation that I'm working 1-7 all summer and will miss most nice summer days excluding the weekends.

Life sucks ;)

Nice evening. Not posted in here in a while due to non-descript weather. Been fairly wet until the last 2/3 days.

Nothing to say really... We await the arrival of summer.

I had to lay very low for the first few days of the week after getting cremated down in Gloucestershire.

I've come to the sad realisation that I'm working 1-7 all summer and will miss most nice summer days excluding the weekends.

Life sucks ;)

You'll be fine if it's a cracking summer, I regularly work 10-7 shifts and if it's decent weather then the best of the day is often in the early morning & evening. You should stay out the worst of the sun even in this country :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I like Catch's picture from earlier - composition, green-ness and the way the lines of trees and the river intertwine. And a strong focus in the bridge, and the wee fluffies. :good: (Erm, also sorry I forgot your Yorkshire connection :oops: )

I've been stood outside on the phone (yes, Vodafone signal just about reaches here but only just) and I'm absolutely frozen.  I had to finish the call in the end due to chattering teeth!

No spring and a crap summer forecast?

Birch are finally coming into leaf here. How far behind other folk are we up here?

• Like 3

Posted

Birch are finally coming into leaf here. How far behind other folk are we up here?

Still have Daffs in bloom up here, some trees still bare just and Japanese maple normally has a lot more on it than at present, but things are picking up slowly.

Not a bad day here, lots of cloud but warmish when the sun did show itself.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

I like Catch's picture from earlier - composition, green-ness and the way the lines of trees and the river intertwine. And a strong focus in the bridge, and the wee fluffies. :good: (Erm, also sorry I forgot your Yorkshire connection :oops: )

I've been stood outside on the phone (yes, Vodafone signal just about reaches here but only just) and I'm absolutely frozen.  I had to finish the call in the end due to chattering teeth!

Oak,Ash & Beach trees all only just coming into leaf here HC.

No be that long tae the longest day eh!

Big Innes

• Like 1

Posted

Grass and crops very slow to take off. We really have only had about 6 nights this spring so far when growth would have continued all night. You know its slow when your agronomist turns up without having to phone him!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

The trees here have only really started to come into leaf in the last week or two, and most of them aren't really that advanced. Even the seeds I put in the greenhouse a few weeks back have been very slow to germinate and grow. I'm desperate to start sowing stuff out too but I can't see much point given the forecast through to next weekend for here (highs topping out around 10 or 11C with lows of around 4 or 5C).

• Like 1

Posted

Poor growing start all round then.  C'mon, you big yellow heat machine, pump it out!

Cracking sunny day here, but still chilly if you're in the shade.

Posted

Cold and cloudy here, max just 10c.

Posted

Cold  1c with a ground frost and  sunny start here this morning at 6.00am.

Took a walk down the clear fell next to the burn last night masses of deciduous trees have been felled by the all the high winds over this last  winter and spring as they were exposed once the conifers were cut.They have all ended  up in the water and there are mini dams every few hundred metres.

Question for Hairy Celt.           Will all this rotting wood have an effect on the fish life in the burn?    There would be about two miles of this.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Same here, trees only just starting to turn green now, and hubby says the grass isn't really growing yet.

Same here, trees only just starting to turn green now, and hubby says the grass isn't really growing yet.

Different world down here in Kelso. Grass needs cut yet again, trees out, blossom past its best. The rain in the last couple of weeks has brought everything on, and it has been fairly warm down here at times too, although quite frosty at times (air frost last night).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Another grass frost evident in the back garden this morning, not bad for mid May. Sunny though so alternating between feeling cool with the air temp at around 8C at 8am and warm when in the direct sun. Pleasant enough though for me to wish I wasn't going to have to sit in the office all day.

• Like 1

Posted

The cloud is on the increase quickly now. Rain not too far away. Yesterday was lovely though (eventually) Don't think next week's looking too clever

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Yesterday was a day of so much gorgeousness....crystal clear blue skies, sunshiney and warm, it's hard to believe that was just a day ago! Horizontal rain, howling gale and freezing! Aye, welcome tae a Skye Summer! 

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 1

Posted

Cold  1c with a ground frost and  sunny start here this morning at 6.00am.

Took a walk down the clear fell next to the burn last night masses of deciduous trees have been felled by the all the high winds over this last  winter and spring as they were exposed once the conifers were cut.They have all ended  up in the water and there are mini dams every few hundred metres.

Question for Hairy Celt.           Will all this rotting wood have an effect on the fish life in the burn?    There would be about two miles of this.

The wood will decay in the water and release nutrients as it does so.  The amount of nutrients released depends mainly on surface area of woody debris, water pH and temperature, so it's hard to say without seeing it. Significant increases in nutrients would mean greater productivity, so potentially more food for fish; I would be surprised however if just fallen trees changed the river chemistry enough to make a noticeable impact on fish stocks.  If you're concerned, you could contact SEPA - they should respond to such a query pretty quickly.

Posted

Back to the land of green and plenty now...  Heavy showers belting through this morning on a really gusty wind. 

Anyone else noticed how quite intelligent, ordinary people become suddenly thick when on holiday?  I won't bore you with a Highland car-driving commuter's rant, but well, are they this inconsiderate when at home?

• Like 1

Back to the land of green and plenty now...  Heavy showers belting through this morning on a really gusty wind. 

Anyone else noticed how quite intelligent, ordinary people become suddenly thick when on holiday?  I won't bore you with a Highland car-driving commuter's rant, but well, are they this inconsiderate when at home?

Are you ranting about non-Highlander furriners or non-UK furriners? We may need a whole new thread HC :D I've noticed at work that the Dutch make for the nicest non-local customers by a long way, we get loads of them round here, more than any other countries combined.

It's dry down here, but with a fairly gusty breeze (that may simply be the hot air coming out my mouth?). It doesn't look as if it's going to be a May to remember weather-wise.

Posted

Are you ranting about non-Highlander furriners or non-UK furriners? We may need a whole new thread HC :D I've noticed at work that the Dutch make for the nicest non-local customers by a long way, we get loads of them round here, more than any other countries combined.

It's dry down here, but with a fairly gusty breeze (that may simply be the hot air coming out my mouth?). It doesn't look as if it's going to be a May to remember weather-wise.

If you're asking about the colour of my xenophobia :diablo: , in this case it's vehicles with non-Scottish UK plates.  So the occupants could be anyone really, although if the vehicles are motorbikes, they're more likely to be ridden by the owner rather than on hire.  But the rant is more about not forgetting the Highway Code (just in case you have bothered to look at it in the last 35 years) when on holiday. And perhaps motorhome letting companies should put a copy on the driver's seat (except if the hirer's on holiday, their IQ is prolly so low, they'll be illiterate... where am I going with this...??? 

Gosh, chaps, don't impeded following vehicles on single track roads cos it might be someone who's been working away for days or weeks and would like to see his family again.  Anyone here know a fitter who could rig up a roof-mounting for a bazooka?

And what is it with dawdling bikers these days?  Are bikes now just for the middle class decrepit bachelors to tootle around on at 55mph, showing off their shiny metal luggage and gawdy plastic body armour?

and... breath.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

The wood will decay in the water and release nutrients as it does so.  The amount of nutrients released depends mainly on surface area of woody debris, water pH and temperature, so it's hard to say without seeing it. Significant increases in nutrients would mean greater productivity, so potentially more food for fish; I would be surprised however if just fallen trees changed the river chemistry enough to make a noticeable impact on fish stocks.  If you're concerned, you could contact SEPA - they should respond to such a query pretty quickly.

Thanks for the reply.  Purely from a visual perspective as Mrs Northernlights says it like armageddon.

Cool and showery here with sunny spells Currently 6c

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

HC.....I want rocket launchers and surface to air missiles on my car to blow the eejits tae b*ggery! Especially camper van drivers!! Basically, no tourist should be out on the road when I am. It's safer for them and stops my blood pressure from taking off. Not a lot to ask for is it? 

Anyhoo, today I am inside a washing machine....at least that's what it sounds like outside. At work just now, but not seen too many Bonglies ( AKA Touroids ) today. And lo! the wind doth blow....and blow and blow!!

Posted

HC.....I want rocket launchers and surface to air missiles on my car to blow the eejits tae b*ggery! Especially camper van drivers!! Basically, no tourist should be out on the road when I am. It's safer for them and stops my blood pressure from taking off. Not a lot to ask for is it? 

Anyhoo, today I am inside a washing machine....at least that's what it sounds like outside. At work just now, but not seen too many Bonglies ( AKA Touroids ) today. And lo! the wind doth blow....and blow and blow!!

I'll do you a deal on a used rocket launcher if you stop launching these rockets:

http://rcdn.nwstatic.co.uk/tiles/3f28f926d357536907a44e25ad3a6903/20150516/1420/uk/1420/2/7/31/19.png

edit.. that hasn't quite worked as I hoped but please stop blowing those showers over - Ms HC is trying to split wood outside and she keeps coming inside to shake like a dog!

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

OOOOO wee highland wifies sawing logs then HC and Mistyqueen after rocket launchers - this is better than Die Hard. Wait till I get some popcorn..

• Like 2