Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Wtf? Cloudy now and definitely not a t-onions  day any more!

It's clouded over here now, not before we've all enjoyed a day out and picnic by the river at Peebles. Lovely day out and a nice way to start my tan off finally :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Yesterday maxed at 18.4c and today has been far more sunny. A max of 20.7c today, which felt comfortable and the length of the day and height of the sun is made evident by the clear weather :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

Freezing out there today in those too frequent showers.  Felt more like March than almost June.  When will it warm up??

Freezing out there today in those too frequent showers.  Felt more like March than almost June.  When will it warm up??

Definitely a strong NW/SE split, it's been not bad at all down here recently. Nothing remarkable but certainly not chilly. I wouldn't be surprised if we're comfortably above average here in the SE for May overall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I'm higher up and more exposed Catch, and yesterday was close to unbearable in that wind. We eejits were out back planting turnips and I had a big woolly duffle coat on and was still frozen. Totally sick of it!

Posted

What a lovely day it is. A few clouds but nothing major. Been mostly sunny so far

Posted

I'm higher up and more exposed Catch, and yesterday was close to unbearable in that wind. We eejits were out back planting turnips and I had a big woolly duffle coat on and was still frozen. Totally sick of it!

About to start sowing turnips in the field this week as feel nights are getting a bit warmer and frost risk lessening.Picked stones off field yesterday in a cool west wind and scattered showers fine day for the job.  Cool , breezy and dull again today with light showers currently 8.5c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 2

The GFS is spitting out some proper summer charts into FI (June), ECM settles at the end of the run at +240hrs out. Interestingly this ties in with the Met-O thinking of a high pressure dominated June, so fingers crossed for everyone.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you Scottish weather experts could point me in the right direction.

I'm interested in buying a house in Aberfeldy, and it's right on the edge of the SEPA flood warning area. The current owner assures me it's not flooded in the last 20 years, which would include the last big flood in the area in 1996.

However, I'm still a wee bit nervous about going ahead with the purchase, and was wondering if there was anywhere that would likely have historical details for Aberfeldy flooding going back a lot longer than 20 years. Maybe some local amateur weather-person, or the local newspaper, or council offices, etc

Any pointers would be much appreciated, as I'm keen on the house, but obviously only if it's going to be "safe" from flooding for the next 40 years !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you Scottish weather experts could point me in the right direction.

I'm interested in buying a house in Aberfeldy, and it's right on the edge of the SEPA flood warning area. The current owner assures me it's not flooded in the last 20 years, which would include the last big flood in the area in 1996.

However, I'm still a wee bit nervous about going ahead with the purchase, and was wondering if there was anywhere that would likely have historical details for Aberfeldy flooding going back a lot longer than 20 years. Maybe some local amateur weather-person, or the local newspaper, or council offices, etc

Any pointers would be much appreciated, as I'm keen on the house, but obviously only if it's going to be "safe" from flooding for the next 40 years !

I have a house in Aberfeldy and was brought up there. Where is this one located? I have a pretty good idea of where would be completely safe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Hi Norrance, about 30 yards past the end of Home Street, just opposite the football pitch

Down by the laundry. I have never seen the water get across the football pitch. Don't think it got that high even in January 1993,the biggest flood that I can remember. That was when Perth flooded the following day. Houses by the burn were in more danger as it backed up.

Posted

Definitely a strong NW/SE split, it's been not bad at all down here recently. Nothing remarkable but certainly not chilly. I wouldn't be surprised if we're comfortably above average here in the SE for May overall.

'Comfortably above average'... No chance haha. I just can't see that.

I of course don't live where you do but I find that claim to be strange in comparison to the weather I have experienced (and the even colder weather reported further north) thus far in May.

Warmer day again today, 17.6c

These recent warmer maxes will help to reduce the cold anomaly for the month

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Back north now... Max of 10C, persistent showers the morning, just grey later. A strong breeze too.

Back at home, brassicas are just starting to grow a bit more but legumes mostly really slow.  Got plenty of rhubarb so mustn't grouch on too hard.

Posted

Back north now... Max of 10C, persistent showers the morning, just grey later. A strong breeze too.

Back at home, brassicas are just starting to grow a bit more but legumes mostly really slow.  Got plenty of rhubarb so mustn't grouch on too hard.

Yes clovers in fields took off in the April warm spell for a few days but are completely static now .Started reintroducing red clover in swards about 8 years ago to reduce reliance on  expensive artificial nitrogen but always have to wait for real warmth to get them going usually second cuts later in summer are better than firsts especilly after the cool springs we seem to be getting now. Currently dull breezy and 8.5c

Edited by Northernlights

'Comfortably above average'... No chance haha. I just can't see that.

I of course don't live where you do but I find that claim to be strange in comparison to the weather I have experienced (and the even colder weather reported further north) thus far in May.

Warmer day again today, 17.6c

These recent warmer maxes will help to reduce the cold anomaly for the month

I'm only going on what I've experienced down here SWS, the May average maximum at Gala is 13.7ºC, at Charterhall it's 14.2ºC. That's not a big target to beat given how warm it's been in the last week or two. Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic. I do appreciate that most areas haven't had a good month though.

Posted

I'm only going on what I've experienced down here SWS, the May average maximum at Gala is 13.7ºC, at Charterhall it's 14.2ºC. That's not a big target to beat given how warm it's been in the last week or two. Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic. I do appreciate that most areas haven't had a good month though.

The CET zone is running broadly at average, with maxes being 0.5 above and mins around 0.5c below. So yes, your average max maybe pushing 15c let's say.

I suppose 13.7c is a pretty low target. I still don't think you'll be 'comfortably' above average (overall) but may nudge above depending on the next week, maxes will be above average.

The East has faired better it must be said than the West. Average max here is 15.3c, I usually record higher in summer (lower in winter) than the long-term average for the town.

So it's highly unlikely I've averaged 15.5c or so as an average max but 13.7 in the more sheltered east is more than possible.

Still can't see you being more than 2c above the rolling average overall (unless unforeseen heatwave)

Edited by SW Saltire

The CET zone is running broadly at average, with maxes being 0.5 above and mins around 0.5c below. So yes, your average max maybe pushing 15c let's say.

I suppose 13.7c is a pretty low target. I still don't think you'll be 'comfortably' above average (overall) but may nudge above depending on the next week, maxes will be above average.

The East has faired better it must be said than the West. Average max here is 15.3c, I usually record higher in summer (lower in winter) than the long-term average for the town.

So it's highly unlikely I've averaged 15.5c or so as an average max but 13.7 in the more sheltered east is more than possible.

Still can't see you being more than 2c above the rolling average overall (unless unforeseen heatwave)

Good point about the min temps, if anything scuppers my wild claims it'll be that. We'll find out soon enough, but I'll have to stick with my original claim of May being comfortably above average.....d'oh!!! Although I will say that my idea of "comfortably" above average doesn't involve 2ºC, but we'd be splitting hairs on that.

I have noticed when I've been compiling my forecast for my Facebook page that I'm regularly forecasting max temps in the west which are 3ºC lower than those in the east. Anyways...

Still looking scorchio for next week :)

Posted

Good point about the min temps, if anything scuppers my wild claims it'll be that. We'll find out soon enough, but I'll have to stick with my original claim of May being comfortably above average.....d'oh!!! Although I will say that my idea of "comfortably" above average doesn't involve 2ºC, but we'd be splitting hairs on that.

I have noticed when I've been compiling my forecast for my Facebook page that I'm regularly forecasting max temps in the west which are 3ºC lower than those in the east. Anyways...

Still looking scorchio for next week :)

It depends on one's idea of 'comfortably' above average. I'd argue, that woul be at least 1c above average, maybe more. This is difficult though, warmer than average may well occur.

The main problem, with the whole spring really, is days like today are unusual. We are at 14.7c currently and if we don't see too much sun I any see us beating 16c today. The 'feel' of today whether 10am or 10pm will be fairly mild as it'll be 12-15c most of today. Max wise mediocre.

Most days this aping have been persistently cool most of the day but still recording respectable maxes for a brief period in early afternoon.

A lack of real humid, cloudy, mild SWly conditions has IMO made this spring feel cooler than stats would suggest.

Hopefully the better weather in FI comes to fruition

Down by the laundry. I have never seen the water get across the football pitch. Don't think it got that high even in January 1993,the biggest flood that I can remember. That was when Perth flooded the following day. Houses by the burn were in more danger as it backed up.

Many thanks Norrance, appreciate the feedback, and it's given me a bit more comfort !

Posted

Many thanks Norrance, appreciate the feedback, and it's given me a bit more comfort !

No worries.

It may still be worth having a talk with someone who lives down near the football pitch, say Tayside Crescent, as they could perhaps say if the water has ever got up to there. Though I still have ties in Aberfedly I have worked away in Dundee and Aberdeen for many years so you never know I might have missed something.

Meanwhile here today it is very blustery but feels pretty mild in the sun. 15.9C currently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Sun is warm but that bloody wind just won't go away and it isn't warm at all.

Posted

Sun is warm but that bloody wind just won't go away and it isn't warm at all.

Totally agree with  you another very disagreeable day with a strong wind reached a maximum of 14c currently 7.5c.

A tale for all nature lovers on netweather today I met a local gamekeeper who showed   me a picture on his phone of a bird.. Said bird was just inches from his face in full attack mode!  However he had a toughened windscreen  between him and said bird and the photo is a really fabulous one on his phone. I am talking about a cock capercaillie in full spring plumage near his leck ( an area of ground which he defends with vigour where he performs to impress the hen birds) standing on the 4x4 bonnet attacking his image on the windsreen. Wonderful!!!

Another thing he was telling me that we now have a resident herd of Red Deer in the area inhabiting a heavily wooded area.  They seem to be coming down from the open moors to much more low ground than in the past. 

I had heard also that the spring runs of salmon were much better than in previous years and he also confirmed this

• Like 1

Posted

Interesting conversation about the feel of this month. Here it started very cool and wet but the second half of the month has been much better. In terms of mean temps most Scottish stations are running a degree or so below average for May: http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/CURR.html No surprise that the coolest anomalies are in the northwest.

Last five days have been good here though, we've reached 17c (at Leuchars) on 4 of the 5 days. 17.3c max today which is well above most of the other readings across Scotland. http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/pmextremes.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Max of 11C today with lots of heavy cloud, prolonged mizzly showers and a horrible wind. Fkn rank weather.

However before I get too despondent, it's only 3 years since we had a June when I was still wearing a hat and gloves right up till midsummer.

Time for bed, said Zebedee.