Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Very blustery and wet for a time yesterday evening, very un-June-like. This morning it's partially cloudy, sunny but yet again with a noticeable wind. When are we supposed to be bathed in high pressure again? Even if it doesn't bring high temperatures I'd welcome it if it just made it less windy for a change!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Utterly miserable day. 7C, constant heavy showers, blustery wind. Wrong job for this climate.

Cold and dreich this evening. Birch trees on the north coast (ie most trees) still with rather thin foliage, and some grassy areas not really coming away still.  I heard reports earlier of farmers in very poor spirits with unusually high losses of lambs - a combination of cold and rain, and some drowned in spating rivers.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Pavements all a mess today and passed a few trees with small branches off but passed a Horse Chestnut with a major branch snapped off.. Tree wasn't the best of health anyway.. Been dry so far today but looking about trees lack colour and possibly will have the same as appearance as they did after the May storm in 2011 which damaged and brought down trees due to them been in full leaf.

Pavements all a mess today and passed a few trees with small branches off but passed a Horse Chestnut with a major branch snapped off.. Tree wasn't the best of health anyway.. Been dry so far today but looking about trees lack colour and possibly will have the same as appearance as they did after the May storm in 2011 which damaged and brought down trees due to them been in full leaf.

I remember that one, it badly damaged a lot of the exposed trees in the west, it was quite something to see but not in a good way. Autumn in late spring and the trees never recovered until the next year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Mornin' Could Kilties! I have returned from my sojourn up north and I return to winter! I've still got the central heating on and the fire in the evening too. So where's this heatwave we're supposed to be getting then? To be honest anything above 12c would be classed as summer so long as it isn't raining and blawin' a hoolie along with it! Currently 11c and the sun has come out. I live in hope!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Summary of last few days:

Baltic. Wet. Windy. Some sun at times.

Today is forecast to hit the dizzy heights of 15c but it was meant to be sunny by now... It's cloudy.

It has been fairly sunny in recent weeks, certainly average in that regard. This is the only positive thing I can say. So so cold, I've had better temperatures in March, horrendous.

A real lack of humidity and mild temperatures. Consistently cold nights (not just 'cool'). Crap.

Not happy.

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted

Where are you then? Highlands covers quite an area!

Aviemore - still plenty of snow up on the mountains. Quick snap from the Leisure centre car park yesterday!

post-2-0-25333500-1433329784_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

One or 2 showers around today but compared to yesterday and monday it's much better (although not perfect by any stretch of the imagination)

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Aviemore - still plenty of snow up on the mountains. Quick snap from the Leisure centre car park yesterday!

attachicon.gif2015-06-03.jpg

Nice Paul, Hopefully i'll be back up there one day.. Although im not grumbling where i am now  :D

• Like 1

Summary of last few days:

Baltic. Wet. Windy. Some sun at times.

Today is forecast to hit the dizzy heights of 15c but it was meant to be sunny by now... It's cloudy.

It has been fairly sunny in recent weeks, certainly average in that regard. This is the only positive thing I can say. So so cold, I've had better temperatures in March, horrendous.

A real lack of humidity and mild temperatures. Consistently cold nights (not just 'cool'). Crap.

Not happy.

It's not bad at all down here today, but the house is sheltered from the worst of the wind so maybe I'm getting seduced by it all again? A wee bit of sun and I'm happy. I'm about to put the third load of washing out today, the other two have dried in the breeze very quickly.

You've got to remember I'm from west of Glasgow, so this kind of weather seems very good to me. I'm looking forward to seeing how wrong I was about May, going to bake a big humble pie especially for the occasion :D :D

ECM building some nice high pressure later in the runs now so fingers crossed (again) for something far more seasonal for everyone else too :)

attachicon.gif2015-06-03.jpg

Have you moved permanently or just visiting? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Been ok for my daughter in Gala, but def not ok for me up here at just under 1000ft. That cold wind is driving me mad.

Posted

It's not bad at all down here today, but the house is sheltered from the worst of the wind so maybe I'm getting seduced by it all again? A wee bit of sun and I'm happy. I'm about to put the third load of washing out today, the other two have dried in the breeze very quickly.

You've got to remember I'm from west of Glasgow, so this kind of weather seems very good to me. I'm looking forward to seeing how wrong I was about May, going to bake a big humble pie especially for the occasion :D :D

ECM building some nice high pressure later in the runs now so fingers crossed (again) for something far more seasonal for everyone else too :)

I too am very sheltered hence the very warm temperatures I record In summer and very cold in winter (greater divergence from the town centre).

Today did turn out to be nice. Warmer than recently at a high of 17.6c

I suppose you are used to far worse weather. I have higher expectations, I like a warm summer and the UK frequently fails to deliver that but I still live in hope. 2007 and 2012 provide some realism but 2013 and 2014 provide the optimism so we shall see what this summer brings.

I'm not looking for miracles but for us to still be at 12-14c in May is rubbish. No days when I could wear a t-shirt or go for a picnic or whatever. Couldn't sun bath on any day. Etc etc.

Yeah, predictions look good. Should see some respectable temperatures (if rather unremarkable) and nice sunshine when approaching the longest day, something I like to see.

Posted

Can report silage finally being cut in the area (appears very short but thick enough to me) and we are sowing turnips,grass very slow to grow feeding hay and straw with high energy blocks to cattle.

Ground is dry enough to feed cattle outside  here but I see in   Orkney it is different where a special June sale is being organised to get cattle off the island after months of  cold  rain and with no grass  and no feed supplies left selling cattle is the only option. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-32988569

A better day here  with long sunny periods and maximum of 11c with wintry showers over Ben  Wyvis. Dusty ground again sowing turnips

Posted

Forecast for tomorrow for the north coast is not much wind, no rain till teatime and some early sunshine... Sounds better than it's done for weeks: shorts at the ready!

Posted

I'm glad you've had a better May than me Catch as yourself, Hawesy and Ravelin look like having a rather mediocre spell next week. Whereas, I by contrast, look like having far better conditions ;)

hehehehehehe.

That is all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I'm glad you've had a better May than me Catch as yourself, Hawesy and Ravelin look like having a rather mediocre spell next week. Whereas, I by contrast, look like having far better conditions ;)

hehehehehehe.

That is all.

I wouldn't laugh too much, we're all coming to stay for the week!

Yesterday it actually got above 15C in Dyce, which didn't feel too bad with lighter winds than of late. This morning wasn't too bad to start with but we now seems to have a sheet of thin cloud and the breeze is picking up again, aaarrghh!!!

Is there an official term for wind phobia cos I think I'm developing it?

Edit: Well blow me down (pun entirely intended) it appears that there is....

Ancraophobia, also known as anemophobia, is an extreme fear of wind or drafts. It is rather uncommon, and can be treated.

No one is born with a fear of the wind.This mental disorder is most commonly the result of psychological trauma caused by a negative experience with wind in the afflicted person's past. The experience may be remembered, or it may be "imprinted" on the subconscious mind of the traumatized person. People who suffer from this phobia tend to be frightened by changes in the weather, such as storms. They are likely to believe that the wind has the potential to kill and destroy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancraophobia

I don't know about 'kill and destroy' but the wind certainly has the ability to severely p me off.

Edited by Ravelin

Posted

Moved here :)

Enjoying the traditional Highland broadband speeds yet?

Yesterday it actually got above 15C in Dyce, which didn't feel too bad with lighter winds than of late. This morning wasn't too bad to start with but we now seems to have a sheet of thin cloud and the breeze is picking up again, aaarrghh!!!

Flatuphobia?

Posted

Blissful morning   here no "beep" "beep" wind sun was out for a bit and got warm now clouded over and cooler.

Posted

Edit: Well blow me down (pun entirely intended) it appears that there is....

Ancraophobia, also known as anemophobia, is an extreme fear of wind or drafts. It is rather uncommon, and can be treated.

No one is born with a fear of the wind.This mental disorder is most commonly the result of psychological trauma caused by a negative experience with wind in the afflicted person's past. The experience may be remembered, or it may be "imprinted" on the subconscious mind of the traumatized person. People who suffer from this phobia tend to be frightened by changes in the weather, such as storms. They are likely to believe that the wind has the potential to kill and destroy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancraophobia

I don't know about 'kill and destroy' but the wind certainly has the ability to severely p me off.

There is a name for irrational fears of everything haha.

Yeah, currently 15.5c and starting to cloud over, felt very pleasant in the sun but then again I did have a coat on haha so hardly that warm.

Next week should be low twenties and sunny, light winds etc. Will feel like the Costa del Sol when compared to recently

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted

It's pretty good here, and fibre broadband on the way this summer too apparently!

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Flatuphobia?

Aye HC!

Apparently the main cause is something called Heinzsyndrome which has bean around for years!

Big Innes

Posted

It's pretty good here, and fibre broadband on the way this summer too apparently!

Ha ha. They've been promising fibre on the Black Isle for the last 2 years! Good luck.

Posted

Fibre if it does become available to you lot up there really is a thing to behold. I've had it in for 2 years. Compared to the old ADSL...............Wow! (I can download at 5.2MB roughly)

Weather not that brilliant here today. Cloudy but at least it's stopped raining and it not all that cold

Posted

Aye HC!

Apparently the main cause is something called Heinzsyndrome which has bean around for years!

Big Innes

Fear of Farting by Erica Pong.

:whistling: