Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Just had a quick look through the models and, although I'm no expert, it all looks rather uninspiring. In fact, to my eyes it looks like the kind of setup (particularly the GFS), with a 'blocking' ridge of high pressure in the Atlantic, that would have the MOD thread all over excited if it'd been winter.

Yes agree there Ravelin, As you say would be a perfect Winter set-up.

npsh500.png

On this day 1329 the great man himself King Robert the Bruce died.

11391700_972981669387224_408701895939933

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted

Another cool showery day here especially the afternoon, silage operations suspended in the area again.Currently 10c. Sub zero on the top of Cairngorm. Cut grass in gardens last night after a fortnights growth very thin and very little to cart off normally growth is much greater at this time of the year. Normally a once a week operation at this time of the year.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Yesterday wasn't as bad as expected. Absolute storm on the coast but here, it was nothing to write home about.

Not that wet until a few very heavy showers in the afternoon.

Today - mainly sunny and dry. A bit of a breeze still and rather cool at 16.1c max. Not great for June but I would say sunshine levels have been at least average if not above. Shame about the temperatures though.

Posted

Frosty looking sunset  with clear skies and no wind.    Temperature has steadily fallen all evening and is currently 5c, will not be surprised if we have a ground frost about 4.00am in the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Anyone doing the Moonwalk Scotland this Saturday night or just lives near enough to see thousands of ladies in their bras go by?

After the midweek warmth, back to coolness for the weekend http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=6639;sess=

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

No weather complaints here today so far I see. I'll get the ball rolling: still not warm, very little sun, and not enough of a breeze to deter the midges when you're in the trees.  June continues to fail.

• Like 1

Posted

I agree, it isn't warm enough yet. More like May.

Max 17.6c, mainly sunny today.

Only complaint is the temperature, apart from that it is fine

Posted

And it's flipping raining again now too :wallbash:  not that you'd know it if you only watched the BBC forecasts.

Posted

I agree, it isn't warm enough yet. More like May.

Max 17.6c, mainly sunny today.

Only complaint is the temperature, apart from that it is fine

17.6? We got 11. And that was before the rain, feels more like 7C now.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

A bit warmer today in the sun but if a breeze got up it was cold. Grazing fields just not keeping up with cattle everything is needing sustained heat. Turnips just germinating after 5 days .Were through the ground in 5 days last year at the end of May. Garden veg still very slow .Will have to get the dutch hoe out even the weeds are slow. Currently dull and 8c

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

17.6? We got 11. And that was before the rain, feels more like 7C now.

Not great up there then...

This week may see something of a north/south split (within Scotland) judging by forecasts.

Tomorrow should make 17/18 with Wed and Thursday looking like closer to 20.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning.   Finally, a lovely morning at 15.c.   Looks as if the next few days are going to be pretty decent with plenty of sunshine, warm temps and NO wind.

post-1989-0-57403700-1433834391.txt

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Mornin' all! Well, slap ma face.....I actually saw the sun yesterday! Whoop Whoop! It was a lovely sunrise and we headed off to Snecky for the day. Still no warm though and we did have the occasional shower. This morning started well with another stonking sunrise but cloud has moved in again. Still a bit on the nippy side but I have now switched off the heating and hope not to switch it back on until autumn!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Morning.   Finally, a lovely morning at 15.c.   Looks as if the next few days are going to be pretty decent with plenty of sunshine, warm temps and NO wind.

Probably still a couple of degrees below that here at the moment but it actually feels warm in the sun, aided, as you said, by the lack of wind! Honestly, it's the first time in weeks I can say that the flags at work are hanging limp, shock, gasp, wheeze.

Long may it continue, although the forecast suggests we'll be back to a cold, showery NErly for the weekend, boo hiss.

Not great up there then...

This week may see something of a north/south split (within Scotland) judging by forecasts.

Tomorrow should make 17/18 with Wed and Thursday looking like closer to 20.

BURP!! I'm stuffed after that big humble pie, I've had a look at the May stats from the Met-O....ooops.

Posted

BURP!! I'm stuffed after that big humble pie, I've had a look at the May stats from the Met-O....ooops.

Link please?

I'm surprised that you personally didn't reach 13.7c or whatever average is for a nearby station.

As firstly, the East (mainly SE) faired better than the West (Mainly NW).

Secondly, my average is 15.1c (off the top of my head, maybe higher) so I knew I was quite a bit below average.

A little cloud has popped up, 12.4c so still a bit chilly

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

OK, explain this to me...It's June, we've only got a relatively light, mainly southerly breeze, pretty sunny with only some intermittent cloud, and so far the temperature seems to have topped out at just over 13C. I'd have expected the mid to upper teens at worst given the time of year and setup.

• Like 1

Posted

OK, explain this to me...It's June, we've only got a relatively light, mainly southerly breeze, pretty sunny with only some intermittent cloud, and so far the temperature seems to have topped out at just over 13C. I'd have expected the mid to upper teens at worst given the time of year and setup.

You are more or less surrounded by the sea and I saw an animation of the last few weeks sea surface temperatures in the N Atlantic on this site somewhere (I think it was one of Knockers posts)  last night which showed the cold area in the N Atlantic expanding across the top of the UK and moving down the North Sea. Thats why you are still cool.

Very little wind here,sunny and 17c  absolute bliss cattle all  lying flat out in the fields. Dutch hoed the garden this morning. A NE wind here would make us cool too but we have land on three sides.

Posted

Topped out at 21.2c

Not too shabby

Nice sunny end to the day and finally I can still walk about without a jumper upon returning home from work, front door can be left open, windows open etc.

Posted

You are more or less surrounded by the sea and I saw an animation of the last few weeks sea surface temperatures in the N Atlantic on this site somewhere (I think it was one of Knockers posts)  last night which showed the cold area in the N Atlantic expanding across the top of the UK and moving down the North Sea. Thats why you are still cool.

Very little wind here,sunny and 17c  absolute bliss cattle all  lying flat out in the fields. Dutch hoed the garden this morning. A NE wind here would make us cool too but we have land on three sides.

Seems like AGW has a lot to answer for already, and crap summer temps wasn't one I saw coming.

Drove down Strathnaver in the middle of the day, lambs flat out (like tiny fluffy cows) in the sun - didn't know what had hit them at 15C!

The garden at home reached 18C and boy did it feel good, relieved some of the awfulness of a family bereavement. A bit.

Posted

Cooled down quite a bit now but what a super day it turned out. Yesterday wasn't the best with the sporadic showers through the day (even if they we're light) today much better

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

18.7C here is my warmest yet. 

20 C possibly tomorrow maybe? Might be a shock to the system. 8)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Sorry for your loss HC.

13.2c this morning with clear blue sky and yet again NO wind.

Forced myself to put the heating off on Monday but it really does feel cool in the house late evenings.

Achieved 19.1c yesterday so we will see what today brings.

post-1989-0-91561700-1433918907.txt

Link please?

I'm surprised that you personally didn't reach 13.7c or whatever average is for a nearby station.

As firstly, the East (mainly SE) faired better than the West (Mainly NW).

Secondly, my average is 15.1c (off the top of my head, maybe higher) so I knew I was quite a bit below average.

A little cloud has popped up, 12.4c so still a bit chilly

Sorry SWS, I was forgetting my manners being so stuffed with that pie :D

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/anomacts

The only shred of defence I can offer is that when you look at the mean daily max temp for May I live in one of the warmest areas of Scotland...either that or I'm just Mr Optimistic. OK, so I can't see any of that standing up in court, I was plain wrong and that's that :fool:

Posted

Sorry SWS, I was forgetting my manners being so stuffed with that pie :D

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/anomacts

The only shred of defence I can offer is that when you look at the mean daily max temp for May I live in one of the warmest areas of Scotland...either that or I'm just Mr Optimistic. OK, so I can't see any of that standing up in court, I was plain wrong and that's that :fool:

Nothing wrong with optimism... But May was **** ;)

Nice start today again, currently 12.6c. Should be a warm one, could hit 22/23+ if the sun shines all day. Perfect