Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Now summer has sort of arrived here (briefly for now, but hopefully more to come!), have started to wonder about midges! Just wondering how bad they are in the Aviemore area, worst nearest the loch I assume, but in general am I going to need to get some repellent in?

Any help / info much appreciated :D

Hi Paul, yes get yourself some strong insect repellent and for inside your home Citrenella candles which will ward off those blasted midges and Mosquitos! :)

Posted

Fog has now rolled in but we reached 21c here today Fabulous day  with blue skies and growth just bombing along ,currently 13c.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Now summer has sort of arrived here (briefly for now, but hopefully more to come!), have started to wonder about midges! Just wondering how bad they are in the Aviemore area, worst nearest the loch I assume, but in general am I going to need to get some repellent in?

Any help / info much appreciated :D

Avon Skin So Soft, most swear on it including me!

Case in point I didn't put any on and got eaten alive tonight down near the canal!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

17.1c currently, warm and sunny once again

Posted

21.8c so significantly up on yesterday... Very warm. Should breach 25c today

Posted

22.1'C here with wall to wall sunshine, it's all change in 2 hours though!

Posted

+13C here... in June... despite the sun... what's gaun on?????  :cold:

We have a NE wind off the sea today and although its sunny its 14c instead of 21c as yesterday.Have a look at these sea temperatures http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=sst;sess=and you"ll see why we are cool today .Going to be a problem all summer unless the sea warms up a bit

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Similar here. Yesterday at this time sunny at 21.5C with a light SW breeze. Today sunny at 12.2C with an Easterly breeze.

Posted

The cloud has pushed in here too now. Cooled it down quite considerably

Posted

25.3c (looks like the max) but a little more cloudy. Could have reached higher had it been totally sunny.

Quite humid, more so than recent days making it feel very warm.

Posted

Quite a dramatic bank of cloud and sea fog rolling in from the north across the Firth.        Getting cooler too as the NE wind gets stronger.

Posted

Quite a dramatic bank of cloud and sea fog rolling in from the north across the Firth.        Getting cooler too as the NE wind gets stronger.

Hasn't reached here yet, very soon though!

Posted

Pity it did cloud over this afternoon wi some tiny spots of rain. Went from warm to feeling muggy. Seen a horizon with the sunset tonight looks like clear skies for Argyll this evening and even though cloudy here still a decent evening.. Sadly no constant clear glow overnight since it's cloudy.

Even though it's been a warm week it's only been a tad above average for June and only felt warm or her warm due compared to last Saturday...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

Thanks Ian :)

Buy Smidge - it is scientifically proven and it also works.  No need for Avon ladies either.

• Like 2

Posted

After 2 days of 23c and 22c maxes at Leuchars all change in NE Fife today. Easterly breeze brought temps down to 11 or 12c from mid morning onwards and haar rolled in periodically in St Andrews. In Crail the sea breeze has been present all week, suppressing max temps to the low teens despite the sunshine.

Posted

I used to go to St Andrews when I was younger often (as I have family there). However during any warm or good spell of weather I avoid at all costs due as most of the time you get Easterly's bringing in the mist and haar. Yet go by Cupar and it's a different story and gradually it gets sunnier and warmer.. Yet many times the weather was better in September than most of Scotland..

Can remember one time all of Scotland had a persistant rain band over it yes everywhere it was raining.. Tay FM weather said the evening would be wet but mainly dry for coastal areas.. Yes I had a laugh at that.. Dairsie it was raining yet got to Gaurdbridge and it was completly dry and same went for St Andrews which had no rain the whole day.. Can be a strange place at times avoiding lots of wet weather..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Holy Moley! Where the heck is summer? I swear it was warmer in March. Had a nice enough day yesterday, sun nearly came out and it was warmish too. Back to winter today and I'm wishing I'd put my thermals on! So, when is it going to warm up over our way, could do with a blast of sunshine!

Posted

I used to go to St Andrews when I was younger often (as I have family there). However during any warm or good spell of weather I avoid at all costs due as most of the time you get Easterly's bringing in the mist and haar. Yet go by Cupar and it's a different story and gradually it gets sunnier and warmer.. Yet many times the weather was better in September than most of Scotland..

Can remember one time all of Scotland had a persistant rain band over it yes everywhere it was raining.. Tay FM weather said the evening would be wet but mainly dry for coastal areas.. Yes I had a laugh at that.. Dairsie it was raining yet got to Gaurdbridge and it was completly dry and same went for St Andrews which had no rain the whole day.. Can be a strange place at times avoiding lots of wet weather..

Yes, it's an interesting micro-climate. Most annual sunshine in Scotland but as you say in settled high pressure weather the risk of haar is never far away. The best set up (warm as well as sunny) here comes from high pressure to the south with a light SWly flow. That prevents onshore breezes - Leuchars recorded 30c a couple of summers back. Crail, where I live, is typically much cooler than St Andrews or Leuchars in the summer due to being stuck right out in the North Sea/ Forth estuary. This week when Leuchars was recording 22c and 23c it was only 14c or so in Crail. And of course regulars on here know all about how snowless it is in winter!

Great place to live despite the cool summers and mild winters!

That said it's miserable this morning for the Food Festival. Cool and cloudy with rain not far away.

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Brrrrrr...after a couple of good days (Wed & Thu) then a decent one (Fri) it's back to cool, grey and drizzle. It was only about 9C mid morning when I was out, warmed up a bit now, sitting around 12C, but feels anything but warm. Been trying to find 'house' jobs to keep me busy when I'd rather be doing 'garden' jobs (or something outdoors that isn't a 'job')..

Posted

Considering this was meant to be a cool day, can't complain really. Cloudy but bright, fairly humid and comfortable at 18.7c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Considering this was meant to be a cool day, can't complain really. Cloudy but bright, fairly humid and comfortable at 18.7c

Well I'm complaining!   only got half what you've got.   Sitting at 9.3 and a cool NE breeze.  Had to put the heating back on!

post-1989-0-07486200-1434209312.txt

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2

Posted

Sounds like your thermometer may be reading a bit high there SWS, highest temperature on official stations in Scotland is 15c so far today, and 18.7c would put you up there with the warmest temps down in southern England. 

Wet and cold up here, totally different to yesterday, although I was amazed how quickly it changed - one minute still sunny and warm then suddenly the wind came up, the clouds rolled in and that was that!

• Like 1