Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Well that shower has cleared (pretty dark back side to it) and it has tried to brighten up however - still more than enough cloud about & airport does reports CBs in the vicinity. Various shades of grey presently!

• Like 1

Posted

Well that shower has cleared (pretty dark back side to it) and it has tried to brighten up however - still more than enough cloud about & airport does reports CBs in the vicinity. Various shades of grey presently!

LOL, at more or less the time you posted that I said to my wife, "if the sky was a book it would be Fifty Shades of Grey" :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Short but sharp localised showers here at 15.8C. Currently sunny but threatening clouds to the NW.

Posted

Rain off and on this afternoon after a dry humid morning cooler now at 12c but otherwise a good growing day with no wind. Just noticed one of the old apple trees has a branch with a bit of blossom just opening more signs of  the earlier cool weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Now back north, worse luck. It is my last week here before a HOLIDAY SOMEWHERE HOT though.

8C, cloudbase at treetop height, no wind (so midgy) and moderate fine rain. What a midsummer day.

I've looked through the GFS and ECM this morning, plus at the ECM-GFS-CMC 10 Day 500Mb Mean charts and there's nothing at all which says summer to me:

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/CMCNA_0z/hgtcomp.html

High pressure over Europe, lower pressure to the north and us stuck in limbo. Bleh. Europe set to bake in a Spanish plume by day ten according to the GFS, 850 temps of 20-24ºC across vast parts of the continent. Imagine if that was us...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I've looked through the GFS and ECM this morning, plus at the ECM-GFS-CMC 10 Day 500Mb Mean charts and there's nothing at all which says summer to me:

Well stepping outside the door this morning said 'late winter' to me. 10C under grey skies and persistent drizzle / light rain. Truly awful day for the local primary schools 'rugby festival' day (which I highly suspect will be cancelled). Next few days forecast isn't looking much better, yet again.

As for the weekend just gone. Saturday was OK as the weather goes, especially this year. Hit a high of around 18C but cloudy so no real sun but also pretty calm. Sunday started off dry(ish) and I managed to spend an hour or so in the garden finishing off jobs from the day before. Now wait for this...the sun also managed to break through the clouds and it felt hot...for all of about 10mins before the cloud rolled in again and the showers started. By early afternoon it was almost constant rain, by which point I'd already retreated indoors.

NL, the only thing that seems to be growing in my garden at the moment are the slugs & snails. Caught a monster snail last night after two of my lettuce seedlings literally 'vanished', disposed of him along with half a dozen shell-less mates of his!

Posted

By this point in summer, I'm normally out in the garden late every evening getting shot of snails and slugs. This year so far slugs and snails have been pretty sparse - it's been too cold for them to be properly active.  Cabbages are growing ok and potatoes are not bad but everything else is very slow still.

:doh:  that was supposed to be a reply to Rav's post above :doh:

8C, dull, drizzly and a stiff breeze on the north coast this morning.  Stuck record.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Another grim one here too must be bad if I am in doing paperwork.Still a north wind, cattle outside looking miserable(just fed them some of last years excess hay,knew there was a reason we had such a plentiful summer last year ,its this summer) drizzle off and on  and currently  9.5c.

Ravelin not a huge problem with snails here but up to yesterday morning ground was very dry.Like HC tatties and cabbages doing well but transplanted runner beans now in suspended animation.Still only cutting domestic grasses once a fortnight. Spring barleys uneven, main tillers forging ahead but secondary ones seem to be falling behind, plants probably think they cannot fill  all of them so sacrifycing some.

Something else of interest  one  of the apple trees has about 5  new sets of blossom coming into flower,post-2744-0-94894600-1434975242_thumb.jp not seen this before

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

I have to sympathise with some of you in the far north, particularly NE.

Whenever I see a forecast it looks 12c as a max with cloud, usually some rain in the mix too.

Anyway, not much better here recently.

A decent start to the day, reaching 15.4c quite quickly with some strong sunshine. Forecast was for a high of 18c, however, cloud has rolled in unexpectedly early with a breeze blowing too.

Temp down to a measly 13.8c, absolute rubbish.

Been fairly dry recently, that's the only positive I can muster.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/CMCNA_0z/hgtcomp.html

High pressure over Europe, lower pressure to the north and us stuck in limbo. Bleh. Europe set to bake in a Spanish plume by day ten according to the GFS, 850 temps of 20-24ºC across vast parts of the continent. Imagine if that was us...

Eh Catch, that will probably include the South fkn East of Engurlund.

They have already been doing pretty damn well doon there as per usual!

Big Desperately Seeking Summer Innes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Eh Catch, that will probably include the South fkn East of Engurlund.

They have already been doing pretty damn well doon there as per usual!

Big Desperately Seeking Summer Innes

Yep, Big Innes,the meridional folk have creamed the nice summer weather again. ! However,you will be pleased to learn of wet and gloomy conditions prevail today in Sussex. The cold morass that is your summer so far will welcome some relief , hopefully in the not too far distant future.

Yep, Big Innes,the meridional folk have creamed the nice summer weather again. ! However,you will be pleased to learn of wet and gloomy conditions prevail today in Sussex. The cold morass that is your summer so far will welcome some relief , hopefully in the not too far distant future.

I doubt anyone's pleased for anyone else to be having doom and gloom in summer  :)   We're jealous of the quasi-continental weather which the SE of the UK enjoys in summer time. Everyone's got different favourites for weather in other seasons, but I don't know anyone who wants anything other than some heat, some sun and perhaps some thunderstorms in summer.

Been fairly dry recently, that's the only positive I can muster.

We managed a spell of rain earlier today amid the doom and gloom of the Novemberesque morning. It hasn't amounted to much, probably not enough to water the grass let alone anything else. It has seemed very dry recently, but I'm still acclimatising to the relative dryness down here in the SE of our country.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I don't know anyone who wants anything other than some heat, some sun and perhaps some thunderstorms in summer.

At this moment in time I'd settle for any one of the three!

NL, to be fair, my slug/snail 'problem' only really started yesterday, brought out by the rain no doubt. Before that it was probably too dry (and cold?) for them. HC, one seedling 'vanished' overnight into Sunday but for the life of me I couldn't find the culprit. Late last night when throwing the dog out for a 'last pee' on a spur of the moment I took a torch out for a look at the veg patches. I really hope none of the neighbors saw me 'checking my veg' in the midsummer twilight or they'll think I'm going a bit doolally!

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Am I the first to say it:" The nights are fair drawin in".

Can't wait for October...this summer stuff in Scotland is just boring! :D

Posted

Another grim one here too must be bad if I am in doing paperwork.Still a north wind, cattle outside looking miserable(just fed them some of last years excess hay,knew there was a reason we had such a plentiful summer last year ,its this summer) drizzle off and on  and currently  9.5c.

It's actually worse here if it helps, just passed 7mm and 8.9C most of the afternoon with gusty northerly touching 38mph.

Interesting point about leftover hay as we are the same.

Some reports of silage baling done suggest crops are light due to cold and dryness but must say our first cut in clamp last week is similar to last year.

Posted

It's actually worse here if it helps, just passed 7mm and 8.9C most of the afternoon with gusty northerly touching 38mph.

Interesting point about leftover hay as we are the same.

Some reports of silage baling done suggest crops are light due to cold and dryness but must say our first cut in clamp last week is similar to last year.

Sounds ridiculously poor to me...

Currently 16.1c, fairly sunny but breezy and feeling cool

Sounds ridiculously poor to me...

Currently 16.1c, fairly sunny but breezy and feeling cool

You keep your tropical nonsense to yourself SWS. 12ºC, cloudy and breezy here.

Posted

It's a bid for Dumfries-shire secession... and reunification with England!

Posted

It's a bid for Dumfries-shire secession... and reunification with England!

Not sure they'd have us with such an elderly population. Could do with our land though, sparsely populated much like yourself HC!

Posted

Haha, hardly great. 1.4c below average (that was max, today was mainly <15.5c)

You'll bench further below average I'd presume, do you know the average maxes nearby?

Tomorrow looks decent, maybe a bit up on today. Although today failed to make the 18c that the met forecasted yesterday for here so I'm taking it with a pinch of salt...

Posted

Still a very dull  dark evening  and cool. Noticed today a vast number of birds at the garden feeder mostly newly fledged siskens,bullfinches,  blackbirds  greenfinches  sparrows and one particularly flffy blue tit.  Usually the feeder is almost ignored at this time of the year but I am filling it every second day and the mean old farmer had to buy a new  big bag of feed last week normally something I usually do in October which  then usually lasts to  late spring. Currently 9c

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

It's only a wee rant C!

I long for hot sunny summer days and not to have to use the central heating at the longest day of the year.

Looking in on th MT everyone seems to keep talking about the continuation of the dreaded SE/NW split which could drive a sun loving Scot to tears.

Big feart tae look in the MT Innes