Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

Breaking news a strong Elnino is forecast this year disrupting weather patterns all over the world floods violent storms record heat droughts (EXCEPT IN SCOTLAND) where it will just be PISH.Nice morning after a cool start 2.6C min last night

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

It's only a wee rant C!

I long for hot sunny summer days and not to have to use the central heating at the longest day of the year.

Looking in on th MT everyone seems to keep talking about the continuation of the dreaded SE/NW split which could drive a sun loving Scot to tears.

Big feart tae look in the MT Innes

Good man. I am sure the gods will deliver at some time with a few hot summer days. Looks crap again for you in the forecast but should be a bit warmer. Having to pay for central heating costs on Mid Summer would sending me packing back to Austrian Alps at a far lick of pace. Looks like hoting up for a few days here on the Sussex coast. Can almost see France from here and I think the continued heat is just going to be a mirage for most but tantalisingly close to be very jealous of our Gallic friends / Any consolation for you lot in the northern part of Great Britain, our Swedish friends are suffering the same fate. My daughter has had heating on for 8 months !!

C

• Like 1

Posted

Breaking news a strong Elnino is forecast this year disrupting weather patterns all over the world floods violent storms record heat droughts (EXCEPT IN SCOTLAND) where it will just be PISH.Nice morning after a cool start 2.6C min last night

EL NINO only means one thing for Scotland, crap summer, soon to be followed into the freezer before Hogmanay. You have been warned !

C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

EL NINO only means one thing for Scotland, crap summer, soon to be followed into the freezer before Hogmanay. You have been warned !

C

Well if we are going to have to suffer without a summer we might as well hope for an early start to the Scottish ski season.

Usual cold, grey muck again here this morning. Currently 10C in Dyce with a light wind (coming from pretty much a northerly direction) and occasional light showers.Yesterday's high reached the dizzy heights of 11.9C, with a whole 5-6mins of sunshine. Beat that!

Posted

Well if we are going to have to suffer without a summer we might as well hope for an early start to the Scottish ski season.

Usual cold, grey muck again here this morning. Currently 10C in Dyce with a light wind (coming from pretty much a northerly direction) and occasional light showers.Yesterday's high reached the dizzy heights of 11.9C, with a whole 5-6mins of sunshine. Beat that!

Hell Ravelin,looking at those temps you might having ski-ing 365 days this year with ice blocks forming in the sea by Hogmanay !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Warmish and sunny. 14.2c.

It was mentioned "somewhere in the SW may reach 20c tomorrow" last night on reporting Scotland so here's hoping.

Certainly feeling nice with such strong sunshine despite uninspiring temperatures.

Farmers are all very busy, hayfever is very high today unfortunately

Posted

Morning all,

Just back from a sunny and warm few days in Toronto. Between that and being in France earlier in the month I've been lucky enough to miss much of this forgettable June back home.

Cool and cloudy at 12c here in Crail, looking at the satellite images I don't fancy our chances of seeing too much sunshine.

Posted

Reached 20.8c, feels pretty warm out there now. Nice and sunny :)

Now 20.3c with more cloud

Edited by SW Saltire

Reached 20.8c, feels pretty warm out there now. Nice and sunny :)

Now 20.3c with more cloud

Hi SWS, you're defo in the sub-tropics of Scotland!!

The weather station at Charterhall (about a mile away) is claiming it's only 12ºC at the moment, it doesn't feel like it's only 12ºC though.

I haven't set up my weather station yet so I can't find out what the back garden effect is like here :)

From what I can find on the internet the average max for June is around 17.5ºC at Charterhall, but I can only find limited data.

Posted

Made the sub tropical heights of 12c here dull and misty most of the day no hope of making hay here for the foreseeable.Was congratulated  todayby my local feed rep for getting  right the spring forecast I gave him which was mostly cool .He has had a good time with extra feed sales this spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

10C and dull as ditchwater on the north coast. The only saving grace is that there's enough of a breeze to keep the fkrs down. The breeze means that in these temps, most folk have their coats on. And look, it's going to rain tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

That's just what I used to feel like...Inverness's environs are renowned for coolness?? Now I can't stop sweating! :D

Posted

The weather station at Charterhall (about a mile away) is claiming it's only 12ºC at the moment, it doesn't feel like it's only 12ºC though.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

I haven't set up my weather station yet so I can't find out what the back garden effect is like here :)

From what I can find on the internet the average max for June is around 17.5ºC at Charterhall, but I can only find limited data.

Yeah, I knew judging by the forecast I'd be by at the warmest.

Tomorrow i should avoid most of the rain until 3pm or so again will be reporting a better day.

Today does look the best day of the week unfortunately.

Same average max as me then :)

July is 19.5 and August 19.1

I haven't found one place in Scotland which beats that on the met office site.

Better than a fair few places in England, Taunton for example as well as parts of Northern England (warmer year round too, not great as I like snow)

London is ridiculous though. Not even sure of this station is as warm as heathrow but it's 181-2010 average is 23.7c for July.

I'd love to have that, perfect weather for consistent outside activity, on warmer days waist have a BBQ even after 6pm.

I'd need a few million to by a respectable house in nearby Sussex or Kent where I could actually see green fields though. So I'll stick with here....

Unfortunately, the midges are becoming an increasing problem, particularly after about 3pm until Dusk. Tiny little things are EVERYWHERE!

Edit: try this Catch

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate

Then go on averages table once you pick a station. Gives the averages 1981-2010 of all months. Quite a few stations on there :)

Edit Edit:

Type in 'Charterhall' in the search bar and it comes up with long-term data.

June - 16.9c

Considerably down on me, perhaps due to lag effect of the sea

July - 19.5c

Snap

August - 19.4c

Up 0.3 on me.

Edited by SW Saltire

Yeah, I knew judging by the forecast I'd be by at the warmest.

Tomorrow i should avoid most of the rain until 3pm or so again will be reporting a better day.

Today does look the best day of the week unfortunately.

Same average max as me then :)

July is 19.5 and August 19.1

I haven't found one place in Scotland which beats that on the met office site.

Better than a fair few places in England, Taunton for example as well as parts of Northern England (warmer year round too, not great as I like snow)

London is ridiculous though. Not even sure of this station is as warm as heathrow but it's 181-2010 average is 23.7c for July.

I'd love to have that, perfect weather for consistent outside activity, on warmer days waist have a BBQ even after 6pm.

I'd need a few million to by a respectable house in nearby Sussex or Kent where I could actually see green fields though. So I'll stick with here....

Unfortunately, the midges are becoming an increasing problem, particularly after about 3pm until Dusk. Tiny little things are EVERYWHERE!

Edit: try this Catch

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate

Then go on averages table once you pick a station. Gives the averages 1981-2010 of all months. Quite a few stations on there :)

Thanks SWS, I've used that page before but not recently so thanks for the reminder. Charterhall is on there with an average of 16.9ºC for June, so I must have looked at warm years on the other website I found.

The average maxes for July & August are 19.5ºC and 19.4ºC at Charterhall, I'd love to see some stats for somewhere down in the lower Tweed valley though as I think that could break the 20ºC barrier for both months.

Edit: If you follow that link you've posted and look at the "Averages Maps" on the page there are small areas in the Tweed valley which are mapped as having average maximum temps in July and August of between 20º-21ºC. You'll either need good eyesight or use the zoom on your web browser. There are a few areas which have average maximum temps of above 20ºC in these months, assuming the mapping is accurate :)  

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

That's just what I used to feel like...Inverness's environs are renowned for coolness?? Now I can't stop sweating! :D

Are they? We're often dry and / or sunny when much of the Highlands is wet. In saying that I vaguely remember you living at Clachnaharry or similar which might explain your experience?

A friend of mine lives down the Merkinch and when it's warm we always have notions of sitting out on the balcony (changed days down there!) but it's akways a bit chilly and breezy compared to the inland parts of the city except from on the nicest of days.

Posted

Try Highland weather, it shows loads of weather stations throughout the Highlands, Scotland, the UK and Europe.

http://www.highlandweather.info/Scotland/temp/

Posted

Thanks SWS, I've used that page before but not recently so thanks for the reminder. Charterhall is on there with an average of 16.9ºC for June, so I must have looked at warm years on the other website I found.

The average maxes for July & August are 19.5ºC and 19.4ºC at Charterhall, I'd love to see some stats for somewhere down in the lower Tweed valley though as I think that could break the 20ºC barrier for both months.

Edit: If you follow that link you've posted and look at the "Averages Maps" on the page there are small areas in the Tweed valley which are mapped as having average maximum temps in July and August of between 20º-21ºC. You'll either need good eyesight or use the zoom on your web browser. There are a few areas which have average maximum temps of above 20ºC in these months, assuming the mapping is accurate :)

Yeah, could well be. Hard to say on the map really. The scale goes to 21c so somewhere must surely have that as a max? On my side it's 20.5c a the highest on the scale. Surely a reason or that as a max, given the discrepancy. They'd have just put the scale to 20c is it was all maxes below this...

Map is hard to say, as it shows deep red colours over me and to my SSW. The coast is cooler than here yet on the map no difference as it can't be lower than 18.5 obviously. Still, interesting nonetheless.

You have a cooler first half of the year than me I notice (North Sea influence I would say) meaning your average annual is 12.2 compared with 12.6 over here. Hardly a difference you'd notice I wouldn't think, slightly more chance of snow though especially from an easterly!

Posted

Was home at half 12 last night and there was that constant daylight glow north of Glasgow and all the hills Campsies, Kilpatrick, hills behind Dunoon and Ben Lomond were all clearly noticeable.. Temp was falling.. Thinking after 2 dry days the grass would be ok to cut it was a struggle very wet so it was and today had heat aswell.. Shows night time temps didn't help matters with that grass.

Cloudy, dull. Less El Nino, mare El Pisho.

Hints on this morning's GFS and ECM of something warmer by next week, as ever it's open to falling to flat on its face as per cold spells in winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Cloudy, dull. Less El Nino, mare El Pisho.

Aye, sure is.

Last few days in Dyce...

18th - Max 13.5C, Min 5.0C, Sunshine 1hr 42mins, Rain 3.0mm

19th - Max 12.3C, Min 5.8C, Sunshine 0hr 6mins, Rain 0.2mm

20th - Max 15.9C, Min 6.7C, Sunshine 0hr 42mins, Rain 0.6mm

21st - Max 13.9C, Min 7.8C, Sunshine 2hr 24mins, Rain 12.2mm

22nd - Max 11.9C, Min 9.2C, Sunshine 0hr 6mins, Rain 0.4mm

23rd - Max 11.2C, Min 8.9C, Sunshine 0hr 0mins, Rain 0.2mm

So in the last 6 days, in mid June, we've had a grand total of 5hrs of sunshine!

Posted

Well for everyones sake I hope some of this warmer forecast weather comes off.Been telling everyone that unless we get a southerly wind we will never get any summer warmth as every other wind direction comes off a colder than average sea. Cereals looking spindly, tatties just emerging in fields and all heat loving veg in garden static.

Just shifted cattle to a fresh field with a little regrowth and added a bale of last years hay to the feeder.Let them graze the banks of the track as we shifted them.Not alone with the shortage of grass http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-33255151  This is going to be a summer to remember for all the wrong reasons unless it improves soon. Currently 11c and dull

• Like 1

Posted

This chart is pretty much once in a lifetime doubt it'll verify but look at them deep reds past the Scottish border. The remaining snowpack would be under jeopardy - I think too hot for wee Scotland :D

post-19153-0-00902400-1435145775_thumb.j

Posted

Some of those temperatures noted above are frankly absymal. If that was for September I'd be ranting and raving about how poor they were.

Looks like an average of about 13.5c (maxes) Ravelin - unbelievable.

To the here and now,

Just reached 18.5c but is chilling at around 18c unless the sun comes out. Slight breeze blowing and mainly cloudy.

Feeling quite nice actually combined with the 80% humidity levels. Nice comfortable t-shirt weather, great to do stuff outside without dying of heat unlike yesterday.

I certainly can't complain when I see some of the temperatures reported further North and East...

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted

The warm up is long overdue, our garden is very much struggling at the moment.

Well behind:

Sweet pea

Everlasting sweet pea

Begonias

Petunias (including surfilia)

Geraniums

Verbena

Honeysuckle

Peony roses

Lobelia (including bush variety)

Spring onion

Chive

Potato

Fuscia

Strawberries

Doing OK:

Thyme

Lavender

Heather

Perennial lily

Plum trees

Basil

In short, need a good blast of heat and some mild nights especially to aide root expansion.

• Like 2