Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Cloudy day here with a max of 13.8C. I'm not usually bothered with cold but did find that nagging breeze chilly today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Yeah, it is driving me insane this far. Britain is so beautiful but it would be perfect if it were just a little better in summer.

Still, we are below normal (excluding that blip of better weather) compare to the norm and June is noticeably cooler than the other summer months (the months has flown by though) so still hope.

Averages for here are:

June - 17.5c

July - 19.5c

August - 19.1c

[Official Met Office statistics - 1981-2011 - before anyone starts ;) ]

Last July was ether than average, same with 2013.

That is good enough. If you minus the wet days around 10, then that's an average of over 20 probably more on dry days. Factor in a better month than the long-term average and you're good to go.

Shame we have experienced that in both 2013 and 2014, looks like we may be in for a poorer than average summer :(

What are your averages down there?

Lancashire has **** weather. Not much better than here, move to Kent mate ;)

Yep, Lancashire has crap summers and winters for the most. Kent normally colder than Sussex in winter, but Sussex must be close to being the sunniest and warmest summer spot in the UK. Having spent many summers in both Sussex and Cheshire, my personal ratings would be 7/10 and 4/10 for each county, Lancs would be 3/10. Another glorious Sussex day dawns but with a bit more breeze. Back in Austria for August for the summer heat and mountain storms, that what I like really.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Another cool, overcast, grey start to the day with the temp around 10C but feeling cooler than that in the breeze. Forecast for this neck of the woods for the weekend is rather uninspiring too. Saturday is looking like a cloudy 14c max, Sunday is even worse with a largely wet 12C max.

Nothing much better looking in the week beyond either. My only consolation is that 1) the office isn't getting too hot 2) my holidays aren't until mid July and surely it'll have improved by then?

Posted

The Spring Run's still looking good for the Summer Solstice ski and board on Sunday! Indeed there's still almost 1200ft of continuous vertical descent possible down the Main Basin through the Haggis Trap and down the Wall Run to just short of the Plateau Cafe. 

post-4009-0-45627200-1434705084_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Late winter weather continues on the Black Isle.

Not sure I would agree entirely with the assessment of crap weather in Lancashire - Morecambe Bay area can be wonderful in summer, although winters are rarely properly wintery. We were at Lancaster Crem for my father's funeral the other day and it was warm then. The day started appropriately drearily but by the time we were having our teas later, the hazy sunshine helped lift us a little. I'd even seen some nacreous cloud a few days before which would have pleased him.

Can't find any suitable little yellow faces today...

Posted

Late winter weather continues on the Black Isle.

Not sure I would agree entirely with the assessment of crap weather in Lancashire - Morecambe Bay area can be wonderful in summer, although winters are rarely properly wintery. We were at Lancaster Crem for my father's funeral the other day and it was warm then. The day started appropriately drearily but by the time we were having our teas later, the hazy sunshine helped lift us a little. I'd even seen some nacreous cloud a few days before which would have pleased him.

Can't find any suitable little yellow faces today...

The temps continue to be depressed in a cold zone stretching from The North Atlantic Ocean, through the Black Isle and into much of Scandinavia, some of the surface air temp readings between Greenland and Western Scotland are noticeable low for Mid -Summer. Yes, the Lune Valley can have some wonderful weather, when the synoptics are right, best with a gentle Ely around a strong high to the NE and then those temps can rocket to the highest in the Kingdom. However, sadly not too often enough.

• Like 2

Posted

The temps continue to be depressed in a cold zone stretching from The North Atlantic Ocean, through the Black Isle and into much of Scandinavia, some of the surface air temp readings between Greenland and Western Scotland are noticeable low for Mid -Summer. Yes, the Lune Valley can have some wonderful weather, when the synoptics are right, best with a gentle Ely around a strong high to the NE and then those temps can rocket to the highest in the Kingdom. However, sadly not too often enough.

I think we have a slowing or interruption to the Gulf Stream otherwise all the oceans in the Northern Hemisphere would be cooler than normal and if this cooler than normal N Atlantic persists to the autumn then winter could be very cold.

However Aurora Storm still thinks we are suffering the lag effect of all the SO2 released into the atmosphere from last years Icelandic volcano and in her words   "sulphuric acid particulates  will warm the  stratosphere  via absorption of  solar energyand cool  the boundary layer"

The concensus in this area is that silage yields are down about 30% and cereals are not looking to clever

Posted

I think we have a slowing or interruption to the Gulf Stream otherwise all the oceans in the Northern Hemisphere would be cooler than normal and if this cooler than normal N Atlantic persists to the autumn then winter could be very cold.

However Aurora Storm still thinks we are suffering the lag effect of all the SO2 released into the atmosphere from last years Icelandic volcano and in her words   "sulphuric acid particulates  will warm the  stratosphere  via absorption of  solar energyand cool  the boundary layer"

The concensus in this area is that silage yields are down about 30% and cereals are not looking to clever

There we have it. Another pronounced El Nino effect in Central/Eastern Equitoral Pacific. More pronounced than 2009/10. More than 85% chance of lasting through the winter of 2015/16. A repeat of 09/10 means only one thing , cold. In full effect now with the NW of USA plus British Columbia getting drought and heat with the rain belt further south. Over in Europe the chill remains in NW Europe, notice the N. Atlantic anomaly chart. Looks like Iberia will get the heat and drought with a reversal effect come winter as Cold block near to the British Isles will sent the jet south.

post-3489-0-95350000-1434724538_thumb.gi

• Like 2

Posted

There we have it. Another pronounced El Nino effect in Central/Eastern Equitoral Pacific. More pronounced than 2009/10. More than 85% chance of lasting through the winter of 2015/16. A repeat of 09/10 means only one thing , cold. In full effect now with the NW of USA plus British Columbia getting drought and heat with the rain belt further south. Over in Europe the chill remains in NW Europe, notice the N. Atlantic anomaly chart. Looks like Iberia will get the heat and drought with a reversal effect come winter as Cold block near to the British Isles will sent the jet south.

attachicon.gifsea analomy.gif

Dare you to copy that to the MT! There'd be an outbreak of 'summer's over'-itis before you could blink.

Max of 14C on the BI today. A couple of degrees up on the start of the week...

Posted

Dare you to copy that to the MT! There'd be an outbreak of 'summer's over'-itis before you could blink.

Max of 14C on the BI today. A couple of degrees up on the start of the week...

14C would be bone chilling down here. Another sunny day on the Sussex coast, little cloud but more of a breeze than yesterday. I think 19c was the max today but could have reached 21cin Hampshire. Since I have been here, its been a good summer so far and dry. Pub time calls.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

14C would be bone chilling down here. Another sunny day on the Sussex coast, little cloud but more of a breeze than yesterday. I think 19c was the max today but could have reached 21cin Hampshire. Since I have been here, its been a good summer so far and dry. Pub time calls.

A roasting 16.8'C here in Inverness near the Aird / Strath of Bona over the water from HC!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

There we have it. Another pronounced El Nino effect in Central/Eastern Equitoral Pacific. More pronounced than 2009/10. More than 85% chance of lasting through the winter of 2015/16. A repeat of 09/10 means only one thing , cold. In full effect now with the NW of USA plus British Columbia getting drought and heat with the rain belt further south. Over in Europe the chill remains in NW Europe, notice the N. Atlantic anomaly chart. Looks like Iberia will get the heat and drought with a reversal effect come winter as Cold block near to the British Isles will sent the jet south.attachicon.gifsea analomy.gif

Hi Carinthian,

That almost sounds like the earliest winter ramp EVER.

• Like 3

Posted

Better growing day today at 17 c mainly because the wind has dropped out to almost nothing.

• Like 1

Hi Carinthian,

"almost"? Nah, I think he's nailded the claim to the earliest ramp.

The sun is threatening an appearance here, it could be a decent afternoon if it peeks out for a while. Still nowt much to get excited about in the charts, although it's far from a complete washout like some years.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

A roasting 16.8'C here in Inverness near the Aird / Strath of Bona over the water from HC!

Melt down. Protect that precious snow !
  • Like 1

Posted

Hi Carinthian,

I will put every old imperial Austrian Shilling I still have locked away on a record coldest Scotland winter since the Act Of Union in 1707 ! You have been warned.

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 2

Posted

"almost"? Nah, I think he's nailded the claim to the earliest ramp.

The sun is threatening an appearance hear, it could be a decent afternoon if it peeks out for a while. Still nowt much to get excited about in the charts, although it's far from a complete washout like some years.

The Scotland Weather chat is my favourite of all the regional weather forums. Love the equivocal posts about the current weather and growing seasons.You deserve a bit of warmth and sunshine but not too much as you need need to protect that precious mountain snow retention, if you know what I mean.

C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Better growing day today at 17 c mainly because the wind has dropped out to almost nothing.

Earily calm here for a change, resulting in it feeling quite pleasant in the 17C or so. If the sun could only get out from behind the sheet of cloud it might even manage to hit the 'hot' category (for here at least). Better than I was expecting for today and off to take the dogs (got an extra Lab for the weekend) for a stroll (with no wind, sods law is well be besieged with flies).

Posted

Cripes, got 15C here today. Meltdown. Slapped a layer of something on the garden gate with only a t-shirt on. Then got arrested. No, try that again, old Hawkwind t-shirt and ripped jeans and old trainers. Wot a rebel eh.  And, astonishingly, it didn't rain while I was at it. Threatening to now though, probably cos I've spent half an hour watering the beans, greens and potatoes and caulis etc.

Just looked at forescats for where I'll be for most of next month. Hot, dry and sunny :) :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Cripes, got 15C here today. Meltdown. Slapped a layer of something on the garden gate with only a t-shirt on. Then got arrested. No, try that again, old Hawkwind t-shirt and ripped jeans and old trainers. Wot a rebel eh. And, astonishingly, it didn't rain while I was at it. Threatening to now though, probably cos I've spent half an hour watering the beans, greens and potatoes and caulis etc.

Just looked at forescats for where I'll be for most of next month. Hot, dry and sunny :) :)

Where is that HC? Do tell...

It's alright for some!

Reached 19.4c here so quite warm. I was up at the Highland show which was cloudy all day until about 5pm onwards unlike back home. So cooler at about 17/18c. Forecast is a bit 'meh' at the moment.

Could be worse a la 2007, 2012 but loads of scope for improvement too

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted

Wow. Just got hit by radar-red-spot rain. Cue a small geography lesson in land-use for youngest HC.

Remarkably thunder-free just now.

Posted

Wow. Just got hit by radar-red-spot rain. Cue a small geography lesson in land-use for youngest HC.

Remarkably thunder-free just now.

I not sure but I think I head some thunder with that  Shower

Edited by Stuart

Posted

Thunder free here too and a touch on the soggy side as Richard says. If I can't get out for a walk with the family I would like the skies to clear a bit between showers (if there is a "between" LOL) so that I can get a few photos.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

We've had quite a lot of sunshine the past two hours, lots of breaks in the cloud and feeling quite muggy at 17'C (truly roasting by this year's standards!)

• Like 1