Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

I know that severe heat or cold does cause a problem for the older population or the infirm, but if the effect is that strong then surely countries which experience hot summers and cold winters would have severely impacted life expectancies? 

I agree with Dr S thought that I would quite like to see weeks on end in summer of about 23ºC with loads of sunshine, but that's never going to happen in Scotland

Exactly, in fact my great grandmother loved the freedom she had at age 93 (a year before her death) out in Tenerife as the heat reducing her arthritis significantly, she had at increased mobility for those two weeks (I want there personally, wasn't born).

So in fact there could be benefits to such heat. Obviously too much is harmful but I'm not wishing the heat away just because a small minority will perhaps mildly suffer.

Stay out the heat, keep drinking and you'll be fine.

Yeah, true but it ain't going to happen.

For general work, 23c as a max is perfect but on a weekday when I'm working until 7 and left at 1 (so before max) I've really only experienced 21c and we can't have a BBQ as it'll be <21c when I come home.

30c+ is too hot in this country as I have no access to a pool or the beach (with warm water!) but the advantage is come 6pm it's a comfortable 25ish and lovely for eating outside.

When I went to Italy in early September it was fantastic, 26-29c during the day (weaker sun) and the sun was down by 6:30 so you could walk around at 7pm and 25c in lovely warm air but not sweat inducing. Unfortunately our latitude doesn't allow this in summer...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I remember a day in Grenoble a few years back when the temp was around 39C to 42C in the afternoon.  I felt like I was swimming through the air, I guess a physiological reaction because at that temp the body is working hard to keep cool and evrything else becomes secondary. It was interesting to see that most people were just carrying on as usual, if rather more slowly.

Today was a couple of degrees up on the north coast at 14C, then as I headed south I hit the rain which dampened my... windscreen.

Runner beans still looking pathetic. Fortunately we have lots of broad beans this year.

Wet out tonight. Just been out seeing to the snails and found more than on previous evenings so far this year. Perhaps they know something I don't....

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

I'm on my phone and can't post charts (I'm sure Catch will oblige) ;)

Next Thursday on the GFS is showing some very high temperatures...

29c for here and the GFS usually undercooks maxes, somewhere in Scotland will be 31c+ if that were to verify as shown.

Does look a typical plume in that it's over in 36-48 hours really (the main heat) but if you want longevity look for stable HP, hopefully we can get some intense heat and thunderstorms hen it all breaks down :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Well I would be more than happy to see that 'yellow thing' :D   We have had days and days of damp, cloudy and cool weather in these parts and today is another...

Still, might just be able to cope for a few days more.   Guess where I'm going next week for 5 weeks...........KENT! :D 

post-1989-0-44998500-1435319653_thumb.jp

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Who would bet against either Altnaharra on Kinlochewe reaching, or even exceeding, 31C? :D

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Feeling quite close here at 18'C and very humid - temp slowly climbing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Sorry to be a filthy cybernat, but has anyone else been confused by the format of the BBC weather forecasts for Scotland? They started doing the UK wide conditions as a brief mention a while ago but some of the latest forecast have been almost entirely UK focussed as opposed to in detail Scotland forecasts.

What's the point in that when we have UK forecasts anyway?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Maybe they've just got bored talking about grey skies and cool temps!

In that case they may as well bin the forecasts completely since that's Scotland's default weather.

• Like 1

Posted

Very humid, dark ,fresh S wind  and occasional bursts of rain   Wonderful growing day at 19.5c 

Posted

16C, dull, wet, no wind.  Even the bloody tourists look micturated off.

Gosh, someone's been playing with the sweary filter.  Here goes...

onions. ham sandwich. Lettuceing douchebag.  Jim Murphy.

Partial upgrade, I'd say.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 4

Posted

I think it might have something to do with the UK's population distribution.  You'd think that they'd take the opportunity to take the left trouser leg though?

Soemone is really messing with the swear filter now... filthy perverts...

Edited by Hairy Celt

Although blue skies and sunshine isn't weather, that's a lack of weather :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Skies brightening now but still humid. Temp 15.4C from a max of 16.7C.

Some pretty hot temps especially inland in the Borders coming up soon I think.

Posted

Output tonight is fantastic for heat lovers... Charts have been posted in the MOD thread.

What is the record max is Scotland? 32 or 33c isn't it?

Maxes are shown of 30c (around Gretna) and widely mid-high twenties further north. Looks like a nationwide hot spell too

Posted

Rain's off now. 13C and very damp. Soggy.

What did you type to get that out of the swear filter? 

That'd be telling.  You'll just have to try all the nastiest words you know.

Like this....

Jim Murphy

Jim Murphy

Jim Murphy

Jim Murphy

Jim Murphy

Jim Murphy

Jim Murphy

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Output tonight is fantastic for heat lovers... Charts have been posted in the MOD thread.

What is the record max is Scotland? 32 or 33c isn't it?

Maxes are shown of 30c (around Gretna) and widely mid-high twenties further north. Looks like a nationwide hot spell too

The highest recorded is 32.9ºC at Greycrook:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greycrook

Although there have been a few 32.8ºC as well apparently. I know some others have got excited about northern parts seeing high temps, almost all the temperature records I've seen have been in the south with particular recurrence of Dumfries being mentioned, but like anything these things are there to be proved wrong.

Posted

Would be kinda cool (pardon the pun) if Altnaharra or Braemar got the Scottish maximum temperature record and one place held both the min and max records! 

• Like 1

Posted

It's an old line, but honestly, it's been so long, it's like seeing an old friend - what's that big yellow thing in the sky this morning?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Dunno.....but it's here as well!.......UFO?

post-1989-0-89846300-1435388641.jpg

We still look set for some cracking weather next week, but I'm not convinced that the charts are as spectacular for next weekend onwards as they were yesterday? Great to see the sun today :D It was lovely to feel the sun on my face when I had DoggyC out for his walk this morning.

Posted

And here - if it stays for much longer my snow will start to melt ;)

Never mind the snow, I'm melting! 17C here and there's a sweaty heap sat at the laptop after an hour in the garden.

Oh what will happen next week when we head south to 35C?