Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Fibre if it does become available to you lot up there really is a thing to behold. I've had it in for 2 years. Compared to the old ADSL...............Wow! (I can download at 5.2MB roughly)

Weather not that brilliant here today. Cloudy but at least it's stopped raining and it not all that cold

Yeah. I think it's coming soon cos they're throttling ADSL now to make everyone jump ship when they join up the wires.  I luuurv BT.

Posted

Ha ha. They've been promising fibre on the Black Isle for the last 2 years! Good luck.

I think I've seen the cables being laid so I'm staying hopeful for now  :D

Posted

Yeah. I think it's coming soon cos they're throttling ADSL now to make everyone jump ship when they join up the wires.  I luuurv BT.

I was with BT but due to issues I switched to talktalk. Still not made any difference. Speeds still exceptionaly good (about as fast as i'll get think i'm only about 850 metres from our street cabinet)

Posted

I've got fibre to the premises in my house... But they don't sell it domestically yet, here anyway, so I'm on 8mb. Not bad, just frustrating when I could be on 300mb.

Nice and sunny to end the day here

Posted

I've seen the cables and street cabinet being installed here about a year ago so allowed myself a burst of enthusiasm. Then young HC found out all that was for the next village :wallbash:.  There's been another burst of digging and installation of shiny green boxes recently but I'm guessing they'll be for the village in the other direction... :rofl:  If you ask any of the BT guys or subbies who hang around whistling and farting, they just smirk; I hope they're good to their mothers or there'll be a nasty reckoning waiting when the bell tolls.

Anyway, on weather matters... the morning was the best for a while, but we're back to grey and windy now with the promise of rain later - it's already spitting.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Sssshhh, I'm not going to have my hopes dashed yet! Am already getting 15mb or so here, so can't really grumble. As for the weather today, a bit crud - been raining since late morning, and the heating is back on. Ho hum.

Posted

It's pretty good here, and fibre broadband on the way this summer too apparently!

I have all ready got my

back to weather a bit drizzly here 

Edited by Stuart

It's been a cracking day here, warm and bright, partly cloudy at times but sunny spells too. I've no idea what the temperature was earlier, my weather station was at a shed & fence aided 23.4ºC when I got home at 4pm while the car was claiming 19ºC. Whatever the temp, it was a glorious day.

As for a fear of the wind; I have a healthy respect for strong winds, but I wouldn't say I have a phobia. What I do have is a strong dislike bordering on irrational hate of persistent breezes in spring and summer time. The main reason for this is my hayfever (tree pollen) but it bugs me senseless too. Many an otherwise lovely day is scuppered by that kind of wind. It doesn't bother me at all in autumn and winter, which is probably just as well living in Scotland.

Paul: Welcome to Scotland (in the real world) and hopefully we'll see you in this thread in Netweatherworld as much as possible :) I mean this in a good way but it'll be interesting to see what your thoughts are from the other side of the fence once you've settled in.

Broadband: We switched to Sky a while ago and it's mostly ok, but I have noticed a bit of a lag at times in the evenings and at the weekend. We're moving back out to the sticks next week so fingers crossed the broadband is ok out there, at least the switchover is a bit more organised than it was in Jan 2013 :whistling:

SWS: Here's the view from our picnic spot a week last Saturday in Peebles. Smashing day it was:

post-2844-0-25462900-1433447416_thumb.jp

Sorry, but I couldn't resist :D

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Mostly cloudy here with occ shs and a max of 14.2C.

An air frost [just] this morning in our back garden in Aberfeldy. Min here in Dundee was 4C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Great photo Catch :)

Today was decent. Reached 20.5c and was mainly sunny all day. Can't complain, hopefully the first of many better days.

Posted

Great photo Catch :)

Today was decent. Reached 20.5c and was mainly sunny all day. Can't complain, hopefully the first of many better days.

Heady heights of 11C this morning - back to rain and 7C now, with the wind picking up again overnight.  However the wind is suddenly transformed into my friend because I was out the back earlier and I got a serious 30 minute midging. Desperate climate we have when it's this poor and I pray for it to stay bad just to keep the wee fkrs down.

Posted

Heady heights of 11C this morning - back to rain and 7C now, with the wind picking up again overnight.  However the wind is suddenly transformed into my friend because I was out the back earlier and I got a serious 30 minute midging. Desperate climate we have when it's this poor and I pray for it to stay bad just to keep the wee fkrs down.

Actually no real midges recently, a lack of noticeable humidity is probably the cause.

I'd rather have heat and midges than cold and none personally. Still, it is a positive I suppose...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Mornin' happy campers! Raining here, how very unusual! Temp is 8.7. Tomorrow looks lovely...not! Are we still in March then? Even I, who is not a huge fan of high temps could do with a blast of vitamin D. I'm told it will improve next week...aye, right! Interesting comments re fibre optics. We wait with baited breath up here for speeds faster than Snail or Halt. We are advised it will be here within a couple of years. Hah! I'll believe it when I see that wee timer thingy whirling around dead fast!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Max of 13.7C in Dyce yesterday and I doubt today will manage to climb even that high. Currently it's around 11c but very grey, even a little hazy, with that ever present breeze, well...still present. No rain as of yet, which is slight consolation.

As for broadband speeds, I've mixed feelings with regards to that. On the positive side, at home, although we are about as far as we could be from the exchange in the village whilst still being within the limits the village proper, we still get consistent speeds of 15Mbps or more. On the irritating side, the village had fibre 'installed' last year and some have access to it, but not us for some reason (I'm assuming we run off a cabinet this side of the village that hasn't been upgraded although the exchange has).

Ironically, the 15Mbps+ I get at home far outstrips the 5Mbps or so we share in the office at my work in Dyce. No fibre available there either apparently, despite it being in a huge industrial estate by the airport.

Posted

I think the main part of the cold front is coming through now as it pouring again and got a horrible day to come tomorrow but it should hopefully settle after that

Posted

Cloudy start. Pretty mild at 15c around 1pm. Rain briefly flirted with us around 2:30pm and then it has been a very sunny end to the day since 3. Max of 18.4c

Posted

Reporting in from Carcassonne, France where we've had three consecutive days of sunny skies and high temps in the low 30s. Sitting outside with a beer now at 7pm local time and it's still 29c. Feels very hot in the middle of the afternoon but dew points are low so very comfortable mornings and evenings. Loving the warmth (food and wine are good too!).

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

11.2c very windy, very showery and cool. (again)   When are we going to get a break from this awful weather!

post-1989-0-54058800-1433586837.txt

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Afternoon all! Blawin' an absolute Hoolie oot there! Did someone mention summer?

Posted

Afternoon all! Blawin' an absolute Hoolie oot there! Did someone mention summer?

Snap and I see there was fresh snow on Nevis again this morning. Aurora Storm home this weekend and we were discussing the cooler  eastern Atlantic and its effect on the weather here.She still thinks its the lag effect of all the SO2 pumped into the Northern Hemisphere atmosphere  from the Icelandic fissure volcano last autumn reflecting some sunlight and cooling the Atlantic and if she was a betting person she thinks a cooler rather warmer summer is on the cards

.Nights are a bit warmer now and we are getting some growth. Currently 14c

Posted

Snap and I see there was fresh snow on Nevis again this morning. Aurora Storm home this weekend and we were discussing the cooler  eastern Atlantic and its effect on the weather here.She still thinks its the lag effect of all the SO2 pumped into the Northern Hemisphere atmosphere  from the Icelandic fissure volcano last autumn reflecting some sunlight and cooling the Atlantic and if she was a betting person she thinks a cooler rather warmer summer is on the cards

.Nights are a bit warmer now and we are getting some growth. Currently 14c

Great. 

But yes, we're seeing better grass growth now.  Another feature of this cold start to the growing season further north is the small size of leaves on many plants and especially trees.  Birch in particular a looking very sparsely covered.

We had a pleasant morning on the BI but the showers came hammering through early afternoon.  Drier now.  Blustery wind, gale force off the firth at times.  Not really picnoc weather.

• Like 1

Posted

While I'm enjoying the fine sunny weather here in the south of France I see the weather back home has taken a grim turn:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-33037100

Looking at the stats for Leuchars means speeds today were up to 43 mph with gusts to 60mph.

Posted

Yes looking more like autumn with the exception of green leaves on the ground rather than the usual autumn colours but tree appearance ruined this summer.. Horrible day it was with village fairs ruined turning into a field of mud. Looks like the temperatures aren't going to increase much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Your daughter could well be correct NL.   I remember the summer of 2010 after the big Icelandic eruption in the April.  Turned out my daughter's wedding day on the 26th June was the warmest day of the year.   Funny thing was, except for a few breaks, it was totally cloudy!   Don't think it was windy that summer, but it was dreich!

I also wondered if this has anything to do with the current set up?  Don't know anything about AMO but it does look like a bit of a drastic change.

20 Yrs of warm AMO in waning days as N atlantic waters have cooled dramatically:

CGgQSZ7UkAAgg3e.png
CGgQSe8UcAAegW4.png
Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well after a dull start on Friday it cleared up to a pleasant sunny 16C+, allowing me to take advantage by doing some weeding (that are growing quickly, even if little else seems to be).

Yesterday didn't quite hit the same high temperature as Friday but overall it was a fairly sunny day, with only the odd passing shower. The main feature as usual though was the wind, Berry most of the day and quite strong late afternoon into the early evening.

Today has started with the same theme, sunny spells and breezy.

Just had a quick look through the models and, although I'm no expert, it all looks rather uninspiring. In fact, to my eyes it looks like the kind of setup (particularly the GFS), with a 'blocking' ridge of high pressure in the Atlantic, that would have the MOD thread all over excited if it'd been winter.