Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Another factor would be wind levels. This spring 'feels' like it has been rather windy, consistently.

This again will make 15c on the thermometer feel much cooler.

On the other hand, sunshine hasn't been too bad.

Let's hope summer arrives soon...

• Like 2

Posted

Erm, I'm not going to correct you, you're the farmer - I just play in the garden and watch stuff elsewhere.  Runner beans straining at the leash in the porch but the ones already planted out (10 days ago) are stalled and yellowing by the leaf veins.

Yes best thing was to jump into tractor cab as rain came on this afternoon really toasty after sitting in the sun.Anywhere behind glass is fine just now.Drying up now after a good soak and 5c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Is anyone else going to the RSPB Big nature festival in Lothian this weekend? Weather's not looking too bad, Saturday better

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I meant to do some gardening today but it's such a cold wind I just came back in. Hope it warms up, I'm getting quite miserable with the constant cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Been a bit damp over the last few days up here, a wee tate o' sunshine too. Off on hols this weekend ( Orkney! ) and the forecast looks no' too bad at least till early next week. Bring oan the Highland Park and the Dark Island! :drinks:  :drunk: Oh, and the Orkney Fudge Cheesecake too! :clapping:

• Like 1

Is anyone else going to the RSPB Big nature festival in Lothian this weekend? Weather's not looking too bad, Saturday better

Nah, we're not going, I've got my kids down over the weekend so we'll pack up a picnic and the dog and head off to wherever looks warmest, probably somewhere in the far north of England judging by the temp forecasts. If that band of rain predicted for Saturday night into Sunday morning is early or late it could scupper one of the weekend days, I'm hoping it's either on time or late as the only full day I get with my boys is Saturday.

I meant to do some gardening today but it's such a cold wind I just came back in. Hope it warms up, I'm getting quite miserable with the constant cold.

I think you need to move out of the hills mardatha, you seem to be disliking it a lot at the moment :(

Another factor would be wind levels. This spring 'feels' like it has been rather windy, consistently.

This again will make 15c on the thermometer feel much cooler.

On the other hand, sunshine hasn't been too bad.

Let's hope summer arrives soon...

Or at least the southern summer ha ha :) We always seem to get the best of the weather, I'm sure the northies won't mind ***runs for cover from HC***

Been a bit damp over the last few days up here, a wee tate o' sunshine too. Off on hols this weekend ( Orkney! ) and the forecast looks no' too bad at least till early next week. Bring oan the Highland Park and the Dark Island! :drinks:  :drunk: Oh, and the Orkney Fudge Cheesecake too! :clapping:

Don't forget the Dark Island Reserve, mmmmmmmmmmm one of the best beers in the world but don't drink more than two bottles of it (75cl, approx. 9% abv). I learnt that lesson the hard way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

No. I wouldn't spit on their grave. Their ideas on conservation are twisted beyond belief and their hypocrisy is splendid.

• Like 2

Posted

Much more like it in NE Fife today, good sunny spells and it was 17c here in Crail when I got home.

Posted

True Catch. I think 'we' get better weather than Northern England too until you go south of the Pennines ie hitting York, Manchester etc.

Although the Foehn effect would be nice to experience.

Nice day today. Only 15.3c (lower than that for most of the day) and it was quite windy but the very strong sun made it feel nice. Only a t-shirt was needed around noon (wow), makes a pleasant change.

True Catch. I think 'we' get better weather than Northern England too until you go south of the Pennines ie hitting York, Manchester etc.

Although the Foehn effect would be nice to experience.

Nice day today. Only 15.3c (lower than that for most of the day) and it was quite windy but the very strong sun made it feel nice. Only a t-shirt was needed around noon (wow), makes a pleasant change.

I have this image of SWS running around his garden in nothing but a t-shirt...

Moving on...I know what you mean about experiencing a proper Foehn, but the reality is that we all experience it now and again but we probably don't realise it. For example, at this time of year in a northerly wind you'll get a decent Foehn effect in the Glasgow & Paisley areas. There are plenty of big hills in most parts of Scotland for the effect to occur. Prime location for it in this area would be Kelso given the fact that the only way out of here without going massively uphill is to the north-east along the Tweed.

Posted

Soft wind out today a different feel,currently 16c. a yellow haze too trees going mad pumping out pollen mostly the conifers I think.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted

I have this image of SWS running around his garden in nothing but a t-shirt...

Moving on...I know what you mean about experiencing a proper Foehn, but the reality is that we all experience it now and again but we probably don't realise it. For example, at this time of year in a northerly wind you'll get a decent Foehn effect in the Glasgow & Paisley areas. There are plenty of big hills in most parts of Scotland for the effect to occur. Prime location for it in this area would be Kelso given the fact that the only way out of here without going massively uphill is to the north-east along the Tweed.

Wow. Ok.....

That's just a horrendous look for a guy, girls (well attractive ones) can pull it off nicely. Tops off - I can pull that off #shredded

I know I'm the archbishop of banterbury, don't have to tell me ;)

Yeah, true. I know on the coast to the south, is colder than here and the further you come in land, the warmer it is. So technically yeah but I was meaning a real temperature contrast (I know you knew this).

Warmth, where art thou?

Posted

Soft wind out today a different feel,currently 16c. a yellow haze too trees going mad pumping out pollen mostly the conifers I think.

Everything a much better shade of green tonight amazing what a milder 24 hours can do most of the garden veg are on their way too but we still have a  disagreeable strong wind this evening.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted

Everything a much better shade of green tonight amazing what a milder 24 hours can do most of the garden veg are on their way too but we still have a  disagreeable strong wind this evening.

True. Another product of mlder nights is an explosion in the number of snails and slugs. The garden was a war zone late last night, especially since I chose yesterday to plant out the bulk of the less hardy beans.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Still a bit of a breeze this morning, and a bit of cloud around, but overall a much warmer and more pleasant day so far than most have been recently.

Posted

Agreed Ravelin, still a nagging wind but it's currently 16.3c and cloudy. Feeling quite humid. Much more late spring-like.

Edited by SW Saltire

Agreed Ravelin, still a nagging wind but it's currently 16.3c and cloudy. Feeling quite humid. Much more late spring-like.

It feels humid here but the weather station is claiming the humidity is 55%.

I think I need a new weather station, the one I've got is hopeless in the sun, even when it's not too close to the shed/fence/gravel path, etc.

GFS-ECM 8 to 10 day chart is still not looking very pretty, back to showing a trough planked right over us.

Posted

Managed 18c here in NE Fife at lunchtime before things cooled off a bit this afternoon. Certainly feeling more like late May.

Posted

A poor day on the hills (dreich, windy, wet at times) but a good one by the firth here, with sun by lunch and quite warm (14C)* in the afternoon. The warmth isn't hanging around this evening though, down to 8C already.

* Can't believe I wrote 14C = warm... some spring.

Posted

A poor day on the hills (dreich, windy, wet at times) but a good one by the firth here, with sun by lunch and quite warm (14C)* in the afternoon. The warmth isn't hanging around this evening though, down to 8C already.

* Can't believe I wrote 14C = warm... some spring.

Just read in Scottish Farmer that down in Dumfriesshire livestock are still not out to grass the third very late spring in a row. At least we are having winds that descend off the mountains from the west and are warming. When you look at the N Atlantic temperature profile you can see the reason possibly, where to my amateur eyes the the temperature profiles have reversed. Is this the sign of things to come with the Gulf Stream weakening? Currently 8c and clear here.

Posted

Quite a nice evening here once the sun came out, but still a distinct chill on the wind. Seen a few pictures of last year, the fields were certainly a lot greener by this time than they are now. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Glorious morning here, a 9 out of 10. Sunny, warm(ish) mid teens, and most importantly, very little wind for a change.

Posted

Glorious morning here, a 9 out of 10. Sunny, warm(ish) mid teens, and most importantly, very little wind for a change.

Same here - first t-shirt-only day of the year!  No photographs.

Posted

Not nearly as warm as yesterday with the wind off the North Sea (12c versus 18c at the same time yesterday) but I'll take the wall to wall sunshine any day!