Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Dry morning here today so looked at cattle outside and then had a blitz in the garden doing a lot of sowing. Spits and spots of rain  in the afternoon only became steady rain  after 4.00pm. Crops are needing the rain as garden soil was very powdery this morning. Sorted a hole in a stone dyke in the afternoon before rain became too heavy. Hairy Celt hope you are OK with this post  if you have been rained on all day.

Reading just now that they want to reintroduce lynx to Scotland As if we do not have enough problems in farming what with complicated government computers and the vagaries of currency movements now we will have to ride shotgun when the cows calve in the fields.

Good time to get the seed in, as long as it warms up a bit soon.

Lynx numbers might be quite low and slow to increase I think. Farmers and crofters will still have far more trouble from foxes and badgers (and gov't rural policy).

Bear reintroductions, though... could be interesting.

• Like 2

Posted

Saw the first swift this morning so high summer has arrived but its only 7c and dry and bright.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Mornin' campers! Absolutely Baltic here today. It started off lovely yesterday but off course that didn't last and has been raining since 11am yesterday. More of the same today accompanied by strong winds. It feels more like January than May. Rushes off to switch central heating back on..

• Like 1

Posted

Mostly wet today but dried up this evening with cool NW wind currently 5.6c

Posted

Hairy Celt Query

Just been out to vote with Mrs Northernlights before school starts for her and witnessed something we have never seen before two buzzards having a terrific fight rolling around at the edge of the road with locked talons completely oblivious to passing traffic. Is this normal behavior I presume it is two males? For a little more interest just coming up the farm round about fifty metres into a spring barley field a roe buck was just sitting in the sun chewing the cud(Spring barley shoots) and watching us progress up the farm road not the least bit concerned.Another deceased badger overnight at the edge of the public road too, this is happening an awful lot now with such large numbers about.

Back to the weather currently 3c with a few showers to the NW but sunny here.Ben Wyvis has fresh cap of snow as do some of the hills to the NW

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Evenin' all! Temp this morning was 2.5 at 6.30 am and hasn't greatly improved over the day. We've had sleet, rain, hailstones, snow, and sunshine. What will we get tomorrow then??

Posted

Cold night currently -1c.  Wonder how low it will go as very clear and starry

Also had a shower of grauple a couple of hours ago as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

Maybe it's just me but Scotland seems a lot brighter today (most of it) bathed in a nice yellow glow.Have the tories banned us from talking about the weather

Edited by biggreyface
  • Like 5

Posted

Evening all, had a few snaw flakes at 8am, but soon passed to become a grey but dry day, now a wee bit dreich and wet. Been on the road for the last 2 weeks, Scarborough, Liverpool, Guildford..... seen sun, rain wind.

Spent bank holiday in Skegvegas, was nice and dry, but not overly warm.

Roll on summer, and hope it is warm and dry as my garden is like a bog and needs some serious drying.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just missed an air frost here this morning though grass and car roof was white. Inland in Perthshire got down to near -4C. Haven't seen what the lowest was but must have been well under average I expect.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Dont know what the overnight low was on Friday morning but it was sat around half a degree above freezing at 8am and a definite grass frost. Stayed quite sunny a day but didn't feel very warm.

This morning is a real contrast, cloudy and wet.

Is it every going to warm up? Other than a brief period at the start of next week where it's forecast to get up to mid teens it's barely going to get into double digits here for the next week and beyond apparently.

Posted

Is it every going to warm up? Other than a brief period at the start of next week where it's forecast to get up to mid teens it's barely going to get into double digits here for the next week and beyond apparently.

Indeed. After a nice April here in NE Fife it's been a dismal start to May. We've already recorded our monthly average in terms of rainfall (and it's only the 9th) meanwhile temperatures are running almost 3c below normal. Model output far from inspiring either!

Edited by Hawesy

Posted

Hairy Celt Query

Just been out to vote with Mrs Northernlights before school starts for her and witnessed something we have never seen before two buzzards having a terrific fight rolling around at the edge of the road with locked talons completely oblivious to passing traffic. Is this normal behavior I presume it is two males? For a little more interest just coming up the farm round about fifty metres into a spring barley field a roe buck was just sitting in the sun chewing the cud(Spring barley shoots) and watching us progress up the farm road not the least bit concerned.Another deceased badger overnight at the edge of the public road too, this is happening an awful lot now with such large numbers about.

Back to the weather currently 3c with a few showers to the NW but sunny here.Ben Wyvis has fresh cap of snow as do some of the hills to the NW

I'll pass on the battling buzzards, I've never seen that. Men usually fight over women or resources... Re the deer, are you allowed to pop them for the pot? Roe is delicious. Yeah, roadkill badger is an increasingly common sight (and not as tasty as roe, in fact rather :bad: from what I've heard) - they seem more vulnerable to traffic than most beasts, apart from some flocks of dumb sheep I see up north.

Was out weeding to prep a mixed bean bed but driven in by a rather heavy shower...

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

Lovely spring day here today max 16.2c felt nice in the sun .Still no biting midges yet 1 bonus to a cool spring

Posted

I'll pass on the battling buzzards, I've never seen that. Men usually fight over women or resources... Re the deer, are you allowed to pop them for the pot? Roe is delicious. Yeah, roadkill badger is an increasingly common sight (and not as tasty as roe, in fact rather :bad: from what I've heard) - they seem more vulnerable to traffic than most beasts, apart from some flocks of dumb sheep I see up north.

Was out weeding to prep a mixed bean bed but driven in by a rather heavy shower...

According to Mrs Northernlights the battling buzzards were political symbolism for that day!!!!! The other thought that occurred to me was that given that there are huge numbers of buzzards in my area compared to say 40 years ago was this a territorial dispute and the sign of overpopulation.

I could  shoot roe deer as pests but bury them  not eat them.as I am a tenant farmer and there is a shooting syndicate who control the deer !! As it is I do not have a  powerful enough rifle which you need to shoot deer legally today.

Nice day and with cattle out cut domestic grasses for the first time.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Quite a nice day here i'm told.

Got pretty burnt today.... absolutely flu---cked it. It's not great.

Christ. Oh well, i hope this will be the last time i get burnt this summer... i suspect not :(

Posted

Pretty wet toady in places...!  Got to my northern hidey-hole this evening though, and got late sun and a colourful sunset briefly.

I'll ask about buzzards if I see any of the local o*********ts this week.  Interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Evening All - it gives me great comfort to see our thread alive and weel...

Apologies for not being around, it's a sad story that i hope few would know.

Regardless,

Onwards and upwards into summer it's us vs. Nino

Let's see how we do and whether this May delivers the classic Saharan ridge ( 70% chance , 79% in Nino Years ) 

sub set last 20 years HP anomalies 

• Like 2

Posted

Some heavy showers around and winds were almost gale force at one point but at least there's been some warmth in the sunny spells today with temperatures up to 16c.

Edited by Hawesy

Posted

After a squall passing through late this morning it's turned out a nice afternoon in Glasgow with a good deal of sunshine and has stayed dry. There is showers nearby hopefully they don't head this way as it's a nice evening..

Posted

One of my colleagues said this morning, 'where the **** is spring, it's baltic still?!?!?'  Have to say I agree - I'm still reaching automatically for my coat to go over three layers when stepping outside.  This is north coast weather, not Moray Firth... I think the trees are about a month behind here and it's only 100m further north.

• Like 1

Posted

A very blustery few days here with some very sharp showers hail and a fabulous double arc  rainbow yesterday that did nt stay long enough for me to find the camera. Fairly warm out of the wind behind glass in any sunny spells.  Currently 7c and falling.

Seems we may have a very interesting year coming up weather wise  with SO2 from volcanoes,  unusual areas of warm and cold water in the worlds oceans and other more subtle drivers conspiring to create more chaos than usual.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

A very blustery few days here with some very sharp showers hail and a fabulous double arc  rainbow yesterday that did nt stay long enough for me to find the camera. Fairly warm out of the wind behind glass in any sunny spells.  Currently 7c and falling.

Been quite windy here too the last couple of days, less so this morning but it has switched around to a more northerly direction. Despite the wind it's not felt too bad in the sunshine, but as HC said, as long as you had two or 3 layers on. This morning it's back to grey and cool though, a situation it looks like I need to get used to since the 10 day forecast for here barely ever breaks from a showery 10C pattern.

Seems we may have a very interesting year coming up weather wise  with SO2 from volcanoes,  unusual areas of warm and cold water in the worlds oceans and other more subtle drivers conspiring to create more chaos than usual.

If the forecasts are correct we could have an unusually strong El Nino event contributing to the 'chaos' too.

• Like 1

post-2844-0-60899000-1431510501_thumb.jp

Random pic from our walk near Peebles yesterday, I've been having probs uploading pics from my new camera but it seems to be the file size that's the problem as this one has worked.