Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted
19 minutes ago, The PIT said:

12oz reduces the snow chances even further unfortunately with unfavorable dew points etc when any PPN is shown.

Yeah, does look very marginal away from quite high ground. I'd think the western side of Sheffield (crosspool, fulwood etc..) would even struggle. Still, its a few days yet. Better waiting for it come in the range of the high res models. 

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted

Yet another wet start to the day with rain during the morning, before turning dry with breaking cloud. The afternoon remainded dry and fairly bright.

It has rained at some part of the day every day so far this month

Max Temp 6.9C

Wind Chill Temp 6C

Min Temp 3.3C

Wind Gust 21mph Sou' Sou' Westerly

Wind Average 11.7mph Sou' Sou' Westerly

Rainfall 2.2mm

Barometer 979mb Rising

Posted

The ECM has potentially strong snow signal, the ECCM ppn/ppn type maps highlight this quite well, but only if the precipitation is of reasonable intensity, light ppn just isn't going to cut it. 

• Like 1

Posted

Bad news the ECM/GFS and European High Resolution models have all dropped the chance of precipitation on Thursday. 

Its a bit early but I'm willing to put a bet we don't see any meaningful precipitation due to such high level of cross model consistency, game over!

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

yeah a rubbish end to the day from ECM. Its all gone wrong. Cant beleive the GFS has been correct....or seemingly correct....twice this week! Im not used to that, and it usualy is the other way. I agreed with people like Steve Murr who showed it on posts multiple times but after this week I feel ill take it a little more seriously. Maybe the upgrade to it was a decent one after all!?

I duno, maybe still a cold week coming up, but even ECM is pushing the cold uppers away now by Sunday :(

Sigh

Posted

I see in the MOD thread, a few posts about the 12z possibly improving snow chances this week, although I have no idea how accurate those comments are.

If not, at the end of the day, it is only still weather, I've realised over past two years that there is a lot more important stuff to get wound up about.upset about! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

So it's gone from epic to a damp squib in a matter of days, I am gutted, was really looking forward to some white stuff.

I Was optimistic that maybe the models would start on the upgrades...not so much now at all! always a let down..Oh well what will be will be and me throwing a paddy won't change the weather unfortunately :) 

Posted

The ECM has covering of snow across all of Yorkshire (although sadly not Lincolnshire). I never really trust snow cover charts though. One to watch as head nearer the time. I favour a high ground restricted snow event at present though 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

its going on and on and on this isnt it haha!

In the near term, type radar is showing freezing rain just north of Oxford atm, pushing north. As this band comes north over us, just perhaps itl be snow! Temps will be low by then.

BBC even mentioned snow possible for midlands, up to us. Just perhaps, a slight chance of our first surprise of this week in a few hours :)

• Like 1

Posted

Indeed, think there's the chances of a number of surprises this week, especially with the models still changing their minds every run! Not much point saying it will or wont snow in a specific location until at least tomorrow evening I'd say, when things might start to become a bit clearer...

Posted

Well I can't believe it, this really is unbelievable really lol! keeping everyone on their toes I must say.

Just when your starting to accept it isn't going to be much...GFS decides it isn't done with the drama just yet!

Fingers crossed for a bit snow tonight, that will be a very welcomed change 

• Like 1

Posted

Well we asked and tomorrow could be a nice surprise, NMM and NetWx-SR model both showing snow potential for central areas. 

nmmuk-42-12-0.png?11-00

nmmuk-42-13-0.png?11-00

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Passing to the south east of us. Ideally conditions for Snow typically as well.

• Like 1

Posted

well i have a feeling this cooler spell is not going to produce anything more than rain, rain and more rain according to the Met Office forecast for here, temps of 5/6c for the week ahead, heavy rain today, tomorrow and thursday, 

Posted

Yes there may be upgrades on the cold and length of it. 

But I don't see anyone getting excited about much snow potential. Maybe I am missing something but the words dry and cold don't do it for me, cold rain and sleet certainly doesn't 

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, snow*please said:

Yes there may be upgrades on the cold and length of it. 

But I don't see anyone getting excited about much snow potential. Maybe I am missing something but the words dry and cold don't do it for me, cold rain and sleet certainly doesn't 

Anything can happen once the cold is in place I've learnt that been a member for so long on here!  

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Love Snow said:

Anything can happen once the cold is in place I've learnt that been a member for so long on here!  

That's the only hope I have left lol, that things start popping up once we are in the cold. Fingers crossed 

Posted
9 minutes ago, snow*please said:

That's the only hope I have left lol, that things start popping up once we are in the cold. Fingers crossed 

Hopefully snow keeps getting shown for Friday so you never know 

Posted
16 minutes ago, Love Snow said:

Hopefully snow keeps getting shown for Friday so you never know 

Is this something else that keeps getting pushed back though aswel, it was Wednesday then Thursday now Friday.

Hate being negative but just the feeling I get, unless that's the ups n downs of the MOD thread rubbing off on me, I really really hope I'm being negative over nothing though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
18 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

So upgrades last night and this morning

As I said yesterday I expected to see a flip in the models and that's what we have :cold:

Actually downgrades less cold uppers.

Dull damp start some drizzle early on.

• Like 1

Posted

GFS 0z was marginally better for snowfall Weds-Friday, with colder uppers. The 6z restricts snowfall to the Pennines Wednesday night, or at least accumulating snowfall. 

ECM also restricts snowfall to the Pennines, although has a band of precipitation scraping East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire Friday night, leading to a covering across the North York Moors/Lincolnshire Wolds 

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted

Well it is alot colder here today than forecast so we may see some surprises along the way. Forecast max around this time 4.c it's currently 1.c and pretty bitter. Alot of Yorkshire is colder than expected. 

• Like 3