Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Local forecast has only light sleet and snow for us on Thursday nothing before then.  Not that I trust it much. Also noticed the gritters were out last night gritting for no reason what so ever.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

Meh!  Thursday! The model thread is killing me..excited then gutted then excited and now the wait is killing me too. I hope something pops up before then sick of seeing the rain now as I'm sure many others are, more so than me 

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at midweek the dreaded warmer uppers may not help things although not to bad to be honest. Dew points bad so it may be a snow to rain to snow event. However it's too far away to pin down as of yet.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

still no certainty though, the ECM is rubbish this morning for proper cold uppers. We were supposed to be cold by monday a few days ago and now the real dark blues dont make it down until Friday on that run. Just keeps getting pushed back and back!

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Winter Cold said:

still no certainty though, the ECM is rubbish this morning for proper cold uppers. We were supposed to be cold by monday a few days ago and now the real dark blues dont make it down until Friday on that run. Just keeps getting pushed back and back!

Don't look at tonights GFS. It really struggles with the uppers. Looking like cold wet rain midweek. Perhaps some back edge snow in the mix.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

I never take snow talk serious up in until a few hours before very rare do snow events get predicted correctly!  

I'm looking forward to this up coming week will make a change from the heavy rain least we might have a slight chance of a snow flurry! !

It's currently Raining like mad here doesn't seem to stop so any pattern change even for 5 days will suit me and I bet I'm not the only one.

• Like 2

Posted

A dry start for a change, but then light showers around mid morning. The afternoon was mostly dry with the cloud breaking up.

Max Temp 8.3C

Wind Chill Temp 7C

Min Temp 3.3C

Wind Gust 17.3mph Easterly

Wind Average 9.1 East Sou' Easterly

Rainfall 2.8mm

Barometer 978mb Falling

Posted

ECM again goes against GFS and looks good... Lots of change still to come, and I'm enjoying the drama! Not sure we'll be seeing cold rain midweek just yet. 

Though, I wouldn't bank on anything after this past week haha! If you take a step back, and don't take the weather and model tracking too seriously, it's much easier to enjoy the ups and downs! 

Posted

Love that things might be taking a turn for the better! 

But my God that model thread ain't half bias to the south, really getting on my last nerve now! All am going to say is thank God for harsh climate and others from the north posting in there on behalf of us northerners or I really wouldn't know where we are at! 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, snow*please said:

Love that things might be taking a turn for the better! 

But my God that model thread ain't half bias to the south, really getting on my last nerve now! All am going to say is thank God for harsh climate and others from the north posting in there on behalf of us northerners or I really wouldn't know where we are at! 

Indeed, when living down South I really enjoyed the MOD thread thanks to the southern bias, but since moving up to God's country (Haha! :wink:) it's really not as enjoyable, and have noticed that even if charts are showing cold/potential snow up here, it's almost chucked out as useless! 

• Like 1

Posted

Well it certainly isnt boring is it lol! Probably one of the most crazy, fun, annoying but enjoyable weeks of model watching since I started for me. What a situation.

Nice to see the GFS on its own a bit now, other models still showing a better situation. ECM does still get the dark blues over us and they last quite a few days.

If we can just get some snowfall then I think we'd hopefully get a few days of lying snow and cold days to go out and enjoy it next weekend :)

Edited by Winter Cold
  • Like 1

Posted

Basically not a clue whats going to happen to be honest.  Hopefully they'll sing from the same sheet soon.

Posted
2 minutes ago, saint said:

Indeed, when living down South I really enjoyed the MOD thread thanks to the southern bias, but since moving up to God's country (Haha! :wink:) it's really not as enjoyable, and have noticed that even if charts are showing cold/potential snow up here, it's almost chucked out as useless! 

That's exactly what I was getting at, I end up so confused haha, it's so irritating but at the same time I can't keep away either gets right under skin this forum. Here's hoping for snow for all up here anyways ready for a good snowball fight with the kids :) 

Posted

Very brief windy spell. Strange from the South East normally don't get any gusts from that direction. Max gust 46 mph somewhere exposed must have got a lot higher.

• Like 1

Posted

For those of you new to the science/black art of predicting will it snow in my back garden, you might like to try this link, especially if you have access to Net Wx Extra. Most of the data is available though on the free part of Net Wx.

The most important bit is looking if the nearest grid square for the time you are checking shows rain/ppn in it. Preferrably 2 mm or more in the 3 hours ending at the time shown.

Another important one is height above msl. Rates of temperature drop will vary depending on various factors but between 3C per 1000ft (approx 300m) and 1.4C.

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

Ok that was unexpected.

Woke up and we have 3cm's of snow over everything..

• Like 2

Posted

Just light rain here. Local forecast has removed any wintry stuff until Friday

Posted

Its raining here now, as temp has now gotten to almost 2c. Temp was close to 0c overnight, when we were forecast to be 2-3c. Expecting it to snow again tonight, if it follows the same pattern.

• Like 1

Posted
55 minutes ago, cowdog said:

Ok that was unexpected.

Woke up and we have 3cm's of snow over everything..

Lucky! 

I'm so frustrated at 280m asl in Bingley it's snowing at 1.c. At Leeds Airport its 2.c and rain. 

Posted

Hail n sleet here at 71m absl in Bingley.(

Edited by joggs

Posted

So after last nights charts the chance of snow is ever increasing for our region! lets hope it stays like that

I think that we will have a surprise in the last 24/48 hours with the charts! they certainly are playing with us :yahoo::cold:

• Like 1

Posted

Sleeting here now, keeps switching to heavy rain occasionally and the snow is being stubborn and not shifting as its still only 2c.

Looking at the models for tonight it does look like the majority of the region could get a few cm's of snow - temps widely around 0-2c when the precipitation will hit. Just hope this lot is gone by then as last thing we need here is it to all turn to ice, then get fresh snow fall on top.

Does look like though South & East Yorkshire + Lincolnshire will likely miss out though as temps around 2c, so might be ok in places with elevation.

Edited by cowdog

Posted

I think if you've got a bit of elevation, not much only about 100m then you should do well next week. 

The front pushing through on Thursday could deliver 2-5cm widely.

Current GFS is showing a very significant snowfall for higher elevations a good 10-20cm as the front lingers for 24 hours. But it's too far away to resolve these types of details so for now I'm sticking to 2-5cm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Looking at Thursday uppers are around -4c which isn't great for low level snowfall, however snow fell down to 150m last night with uppers of -2c so anything is possible. Whatever happens I'm in the car thurs/fri and going snow hunting if anyone's up for it!

Posted

Nice to hear about a surpise snowfall this morning for a lucky few! Could be the story for this week really. If we get some ppn about then from Weds especialy then it should be snow. One good thing is that the winds are going to be light next week so it should help with evaporative cooling coming into effect. That maybe what helped last night with the uppers not being very low.

Would be great if Thursday delivered. ECM still hangs the cold around so im hoping for a few days of lying snow :D:cold:

@vizzy2004 If I wasnt working Thu/Fri I would defo go snow hunting. Decent chance ill get some around my area tbh with the altitude!