Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Severe Flood Warning for central Leeds. Never seen it before!

http://apps.environment-agency.gov.uk/flood/34678.aspx?type=Region&term=Northeast&Severity=1

It's a lot worse than 2007, and river levels are expected to peak at 11pm tonight. This could be the flood we've been warned about for years.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
7 minutes ago, cheese said:

Severe Flood Warning for central Leeds. Never seen it before!

http://apps.environment-agency.gov.uk/flood/34678.aspx?type=Region&term=Northeast&Severity=1

Yeah was inevitable. Along with 4 other severe warnings along the Aire.

Edited by cowdog

Posted
55 minutes ago, cheese said:

How often do major cities even get severe flood warnings?

Last one I can think of (other than Carlisle which is a LOT smaller population wise) is Hull.

Posted

2 more Severe flood warnings now in force in Yorkshire -

Brighouse

Leeds - ASDA house area - this is significant as there are a lot of business there and its the main route through the southern part of the city center.

Posted

Looking awful throughout West Yorkshire and Leeds, my thoughts are with those who have been affected! Luckily I'm back in the South for the festive period.

A good friend of mine from Keighley has told me she's cut off at her Grandparent's by the conditions! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!

Hi there, don't suppose anyone is around or seen the Saltaire area, is that flooded? (River Aire) I have family there.

Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Well this time last year it was an epic blizzard in Sheffield! What a fantastic Christmas snow event that was :D Nice memories.

Shame this year is quite the opposite with horrible wet and mild weather, which instead of joy, it bringing misery to a large part of the north.

Posted
46 minutes ago, chillyblast said:

Hi there, don't suppose anyone is around or seen the Saltaire area, is that flooded? (River Aire) I have family there.

Thanks

It flooded just down stream in Baildon and flats that they built on the edge of Saltaire. Roberts park flooded, but just going on pictures I have seen it looks like the flood defenses at Saltaire themselves worked so the Mill and the apartments inside didn't get flooded. Note I haven't seen it for myself its just going on pictures I have seen as was paying attention to it myself as I know the area well and was affected by the 2001 floods.

Posted

Again going by video from facebook Aire had burst its banks around Baildon by 3pm this afternoon imagine it must have got worse since then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Use to love flood chasing when i lived in York, seen pictures from there today and I have never seen the River Foss that high before, incredible scenes. Its likely that the River Ouse will peak on Monday so it will be interesting to see how high it reaches.

Posted
34 minutes ago, cheese said:

York now has a Severe Flood Warning.

Specifically it has 6 of them. Only the west side of the city is not under one, and given how big there flood areas are this is going to be potentially Hull flood levels.

The flooding in Leeds on Twitter is staggering, its flooding anywhere and everywhere thats low lying, would never have thought it was possible for ASDA house area to be under multiple feet of water.

Edited by cowdog
  • Like 1

Posted

^^ me neither. I have never seen Asda House under water - not even once. Not unusual for Neptune Street and Clarence Dock to flood but some of these places - wow. Wellington Street in particular, never expected that area to flood.

River Levels around Skipton have leveled of now but they're still rising fast downstream.. seems stations around Bingley and Keighley are no longer reporting. Must have been damaged. River levels there were absolutely soaring.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!
44 minutes ago, cowdog said:

It flooded just down stream in Baildon and flats that they built on the edge of Saltaire. Roberts park flooded, but just going on pictures I have seen it looks like the flood defenses at Saltaire themselves worked so the Mill and the apartments inside didn't get flooded. Note I haven't seen it for myself its just going on pictures I have seen as was paying attention to it myself as I know the area well and was affected by the 2001 floods.

Thanks for the info, I've just checked and they are ok (they are luckily on a very small hill about 50ft above the river so should be ok, good to know the Mill avoided it).

Posted

Looks like the main River Gauge in Leeds has gone. Its not responded now for 3 hours. Nearest one that is working is Armley that is almost 1 meter higher than the previous record floods! Just as I post this it starts reporting again.

Think they may have to redesign the planned flood defences as they would do very little against this.

Edited by cowdog

Posted
6 hours ago, cowdog said:

Yeah was inevitable. Along with 4 other severe warnings along the Aire.

just a look  at a Lev in york  of 3.14 

Posted
3 minutes ago, tinybill said:

just a look  at a Lev in york  of 3.14 

York was going to be bad, but this is happening a day before it should as a disaster occured - the main pumping station in York has got flooded so they had to raise the sluice gates on the river while they still had power, meant all the flood prone areas downstream got flooded already but might save a lot of the center and the west of the city. Can't be good for those in the East though, knowing they are being sacrificed to hopefully save the much larger flood prone areas.

York is going to look horrendous come day light, and the emergency services are going to have a very bad night.

Posted

Water levels peaked around 3am. Fallen now but still well above record levels.

12356467_1033173526703648_463739043_n.jp

Edited by cheese

Posted

http://m.yorkpress.co.uk/news/14168802.LIVE__York_and_North_Yorkshire_flooding___December_27/

Many homes evacuated.

thank you  cheese  , they  ok at  the  moment but its not to good there  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

If you want 'unbelievable scenes you should look at Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge and Todmorden many homes were unable to get insured after the 'record' 2012 floods so have lost all.

We were inches away from flooding ( garden went) which is unbelievable. The river is able to flood when it gets over 2.1m , in 2012 the record deluge pushed the record to a massive 4.85m. Boxing day saw the river peak at 5.67m!!!! This is after millions of pounds being spent on countless flood alleviation schemes up and down the valley.

I cannot even venture out as the sights are too depressing. So many homes that have never flooded in their histories ( over 200yrs for some!!) have gone under meaning countless 'new' families now stand asloimgside all the usual flood victims

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

Thoughts are with those affected by the flooding, should be a joyful time of year not filled with misery. Stay safe all 

• Like 1