Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere Autumn/Winter 2015/16

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Posted

Posted

Snow still finding it hard to push westward towards Europe, though Scandinavia and Finland are looking better...

prvsnow_asiaeurope.gif

FC

Posted

Posted

Hi All

Some progress westward for the snow line...

http://www.natice.noaa.gov/pub/ims/ims_v3/ims_gif/ARCHIVE/EuAsia/2015/ims2015350_asiaeurope.gif

Edited by frozencanals

Posted

Posted

Well, would you look at the state of the Americas!! Snow over the entirety of New Mexico, and into Mexico proper, Nevada, Texas, even Arizona, have more snow than Europe!!   ><

So El Nino just means that the north is warm and the south is cold...............AGAIN! 

mexico snow.gif

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

Well, would you look at the state of the Americas!! Snow over the entirety of New Mexico, and into Mexico proper, Nevada, Texas, even Arizona, have more snow than Europe!!   ><

So El Nino just means that the north is warm and the south is cold...............AGAIN! 

mexico snow.gif

Crazy weather out there I've never seen the white pixels get that far south into Mexico before, have you?

Posted
22 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Crazy weather out there I've never seen the white pixels get that far south into Mexico before, have you?

Nope, I've never seen it that far south, it's beyond a p**s take!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
5 hours ago, Daniel* said:

That snow is the equivalent south as Morocco. Ridiculous! Yet it's so hard to get snow here whilst the UK remains stuck in no mans land as usual.

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 hours ago, cyclonic happiness said:

mexico snow.gif

It isn't that unusual in reality - the northern areas of Mexico, such as Chihuahua, are prone to occasional falls of snow, and the likes of New Mexico certainly are no strangers to the white stuff, given most of the state is very high in elevation. Albuquerque certainly gets more snow on average than low-land UK and probably as much as the likes of Aviemore.

Won't last long though.. that's the fundamental difference between snow in the UK and snow in Texas. Snow here has a good chance of sticking around for a week  or more.. in Texas, not so, since the sun is much stronger and winter daytime temps are much higher.

http://i.imgur.com/hrMtuuh.png

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
8 hours ago, Costa Del Fal said:

That snow is the equivalent south as Morocco. Ridiculous! Yet it's so hard to get snow here whilst the UK remains stuck in no mans land as usual.

Well snow happens occasionally in Morocco. The thing is when you're on a large continental landmass you have an advantage . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
3 hours ago, James M said:

Well snow happens occasionally in Morocco. The thing is when you're on a large continental landmass you have an advantage . 

Absolutely, I fully understand how much colder larger continental masses can be. However when you imagine it snowing in morroco from our part ofnthenwirodnitnsounds pretty mad doesn't it anyway!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
21 hours ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Absolutely, I fully understand how much colder larger continental masses can be. However when you imagine it snowing in morroco from our part ofnthenwirodnitnsounds pretty mad doesn't it anyway!

It does! Not fair is it haha.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
On 12/28/2015 at 10:55 PM, cheese said:

It isn't that unusual in reality - the northern areas of Mexico, such as Chihuahua, are prone to occasional falls of snow, and the likes of New Mexico certainly are no strangers to the white stuff, given most of the state is very high in elevation. Albuquerque certainly gets more snow on average than low-land UK and probably as much as the likes of Aviemore.

Won't last long though.. that's the fundamental difference between snow in the UK and snow in Texas. Snow here has a good chance of sticking around for a week  or more.. in Texas, not so, since the sun is much stronger and winter daytime temps are much higher.

http://i.imgur.com/hrMtuuh.png

Aviemore is averaging around 60 snow lying days per annum in recent years. I don't think Alburquerque gets that. However snow down there is not unusual.

Posted

Morocco has the Atlas Mountain range, low lying snow in Morocco is incredibly rare, a few mountains rise to 4,000 meters usually without fail every winter the mountains receive snow, I'm not quite sure how much. Parts of Mexico which had white pixels have at least 1,500m of elevation it helps- very sparsely populated/mountainous areas. As far south as it got I'd say that is very infrequent as I've not seen anything like the sort before.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, summer returns early to Svalbard - https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nrk.no%2Ftroms%2Fsommertemperatur-pa-svalbard_-_-det-er-helt-utrolig-1.12725696&edit-text=&act=url

The new record of 8.7°C was only half a degree less than the max for June 2015 and the past three days all beat the previous December record. The new year starts with some locations snowless.

Edited by Interitus

Posted
On 30/12/2015 at 9:14 PM, Daniel* said:

Morocco has the Atlas Mountain range, low lying snow in Morocco is incredibly rare, a few mountains rise to 4,000 meters usually without fail every winter the mountains receive snow, I'm not quite sure how much. Parts of Mexico which had white pixels have at least 1,500m of elevation it helps- very sparsely populated/mountainous areas. As far south as it got I'd say that is very infrequent as I've not seen anything like the sort before.

I've been looking at the snowcover maps for over 10 years now, and have only seen it maybe once or twice before, but never to the extent it has been.

I think we all know that it can snow there on occasion, but it's still noteworthy.

I wonder if there is a similar thread on the American forums, where they get excited about seeing snow in lowland uk? :-D  After all, that's a lot rarer than in Morocco, New Mexico, Egypt and probably even Dubai :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Hello, I am very new here and this my first post.  Here is the latest snow and ice map for Europe and Asia.

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
1 minute ago, Katrine Estella said:

Hello, I am very new here and this my first post.  Here is the latest snow and ice map for Europe and Asia.

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Welcome aboard Katrine and Thanks for the chart. Not too much action within this thread of late given the mainly snowless situation over Europe and the UK during recent weeks. It still is a thread I like to pop by from time to time though as I live in hope of seeing something wintry.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Thank you for the very warm welcome.  I hope that the snowless situation over Europe will change but it could take until late February before we see any real change in Europe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Welcome, Katrine. Could you add your location to your profile, please?:)

• Like 1