Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

This really annoys me. In the postcode forecast it tells me it's going to be -1'c tonight here.  Then I play the video on the same page and it's says between -6'c - -7'c!!!     So I've just had to go all the way into work to fleece all the bedding plants on my day off!!   Why can't the BBC just post the absolute minimum temperature, so folk like me who rely heavily on the weather at this time of the year, can make an informed choice about what to do with thousands of bedding plants overnight?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

See for yourselves!

Posted

Been at the Blist Hill Victorian museum  and then Ironbridge all day and there was a brief light shower of graupeley stuff there. That's in Shropshire so it seemed the infamous Shropshire snow shield gave way if only for a moment. I wonder if any of the Telford members saw anything or Summer of 95 in Shrewsbury (though I believe that's a bit of a distance from there). I noticed in the gift shop there are some old photos of the area lining the walls and a few of them show snowy scenes. One in particular shows people standing on the frozen river with the bridge in the background, probably taken some time around the late 19th/early 20th century judging by their dress. Another one was taken in the museum and was in colour and judging by the quality of the image I would guess it was taken in one of the late 70s to mid 80s Winters, possibly as late as 1990/91. Just goes to show that Shropshire can get snow and sub zero conditions at times. Though it's true that recent Winters have been poor all over the midlands (with the Peak Distict doing better than the rest), Shropshire in particular has been worse than anywhere, judging from the members who live in that county at least. Anyway I do hope this was the last of the snow drought Winters for them and that next Winter will give all of us a good dumping of snow. And may the River Severn freeze solid too :cold: :D.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Only a few fragments of snow remaining here but the hills to the north; Big Moor, across to Sir William hill near Eyam, and then west to Buxton and Axe Edge, are still completely white.

• Like 2

Posted
48 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Been at the Blist Hill Victorian museum  and then Ironbridge all day and there was a brief light shower of graupeley stuff there. That's in Shropshire so it seemed the infamous Shropshire snow shield gave way if only for a moment. I wonder if any of the Telford members saw anything or Summer of 95 in Shrewsbury (though I believe that's a bit of a distance from there). I noticed in the gift shop there are some old photos of the area lining the walls and a few of them show snowy scenes. One in particular shows people standing on the frozen river with the bridge in the background, probably taken some time around the late 19th/early 20th century judging by their dress. Another one was taken in the museum and was in colour and judging by the quality of the image I would guess it was taken in one of the late 70s to mid 80s Winters, possibly as late as 1990/91. Just goes to show that Shropshire can get snow and sub zero conditions at times. Though it's true that recent Winters have been poor all over the midlands (with the Peak Distict doing better than the rest), Shropshire in particular has been worse than anywhere, judging from the members who live in that county at least. Anyway I do hope this was the last of the snow drought Winters for them and that next Winter will give all of us a good dumping of snow. And may the River Severn freeze solid too :cold: :D.

No, nothing here....

The Severn in Shrewsbury froze over in December 2010, before that I think the last time was 1963. It's faster flowing around Ironbridge though so may be rarer to see it freezing there.

Did it say where the painting(s) was of? Even when the snow shield breaks there are big differences within Shropshire, the Stretton hills can be white while Shrewsbury and Telford just get rain. At one point the Wikipedia "snow" page had a picture of large snow drifts on the Long Mynd, taken on a day when Shrewsbury had 1cm.

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, Summer of 95 said:

No, nothing here....

The Severn in Shrewsbury froze over in December 2010, before that I think the last time was 1963. It's faster flowing around Ironbridge though so may be rarer to see it freezing there.

Did it say where the painting(s) was of? Even when the snow shield breaks there are big differences within Shropshire, the Stretton hills can be white while Shrewsbury and Telford just get rain. At one point the Wikipedia "snow" page had a picture of large snow drifts on the Long Mynd, taken on a day when Shrewsbury had 1cm.

As I say they were photographs not paintings and the one of the people standing on the frozen River Severn would have been at Ironbridge because the bridge is directly behind them. The pictures didn't have descriptions as they were high up around the walls of the Brist Hill Victorian museum gift shop above the items displays. But I'm guessing that it would have been taken some time in the late 19th or early 20th century (though if I had to guess I would say possibly some time in the 1890s, perhaps Winter 1894/95 (which was apparently severe) as I don't think there were really many or any Winters in the early 20th century cold enough to freeze the river so hard). It certainly looked like (by the quality of the image and the fashion of clothing) it was taken in that era anyway. There were other snowy scened photos as well such as an old one looking down from high ground on a village or town (possibly Ironbridge) with snow capped roofs. And that other one I mentioned which was in colour and taken on a snow covered day within the museum, which showed a horse and cart walking along and a couple of Victorian dressed volunteers, and as I say to guess would have been taken in the the late 70s mid 80s (maybe more recent than that, but I doubt it judging by the quality). 

Posted

Adding to my previous post, the image I refer to may have been taken in front of the bridge at Coalbrookdale and I'm getting confused? But I wouldn't know now without going back and looking again, which won't happen any time soon. Anyway I just tried to search for the picture on Google images, but I can't find that particular one. There is an  image of a woman with a pram on the frozen river with Coalbrookdale bridge in the background taken some time in the 1920s apparently and another with loads of people skating on the ice at the same location taken in 1891. So I'm starting to wonder whether the picture I saw at the museum was Ironbridge or Coalbrookdale bridge?

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow

Posted

I predict the Shrewsbury snow shield will crumble tonight !!

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, nobble said:

I hope so nobble. If there's one poster on this thread who deserves a break its Summer of 95 and the Shropshire contingent in general.

Posted
1 hour ago, nobble said:

yeah those showers developing in the irish sea could indeed scrape shrewsbury

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

You might be lucky if they come down the Cheshire Gap. Light flurries here in Snowdonia with some beefier stuff showing on the radar.

Edited by kar999

Posted
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 7:01 PM, Summer of 95 said:

No, nothing here....

1981/82 it froze harder the severn froze right over,thats my first memories of the severn freezing right over to the middle.

A mini sprinkling of snow this morning.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

coldest feeling day of the year today, sunny = cold, wet = warm

Yes it's certainly felt quite chilly today, despite the sunshine. I imagine if we had the synoptic of today a few weeks ago we probably would have recorded an ice day. Saying that my garden pond has been iced over all day and it only began to thaw at the edges towards 4 or 5ish. 

Posted

The coldest feeling day was the other day in that NNE wind cold and wet 2.1c

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
8 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

The coldest feeling day was the other day in that NNE wind cold and wet 2.1c

Sat 5th? not here, always feels milder when damp, you in Wales anyway

Posted

Saturday was less cold than today at 6.5c,yesterday was colder at 4.4c and Friday was the coldest feeling day later when the NNE wind got really strong later max 3.5c but temps later were 2c despite snow turning back to rain/sleet, but today felt pleasantly fresh I thought at 6.1c with a light NWly and sunny. 

Posted

Really strange bbc weather forecast for wednesday  graphics showed quite a bit of snowfall for the midlands. Im sure it will be wet snow if it does happen. however i assumed it would be all rain.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A chilly cloudy morning here with some light showers of ice pellets after an overnight ground frost.

Temp 1c

Dp 0c

Posted
9 hours ago, weirpig said:

Really strange bbc weather forecast for wednesday  graphics showed quite a bit of snowfall for the midlands. Im sure it will be wet snow if it does happen. however i assumed it would be all rain.

All the TV forecasts are showing quite abit of snow tonight and into wales more so lets see but the track of the low is somewhat different to Fridays.

-1.7c min last night.

brack0a.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

This just sums up the Winter for me. The current temp here is 0c and the dew is -2. The PPN arrives and it's raining :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Wow, final nail in the coffin.

Posted
5 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

This just sums up the Winter for me. The current temp here is 0c and the dew is -2. The PPN arrives and it's raining :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Wow, final nail in the coffin.

That is unbelievable!!you do not get temps and dew points more conducive than that!!i just dont understand why that is!!its the same here in leicester!!temp 0 dewp point -1 and still rain!!am baffled!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, shaky said:

That is unbelievable!!you do not get temps and dew points more conducive than that!!i just dont understand why that is!!its the same here in leicester!!temp 0 dewp point -1 and still rain!!am baffled!!

hgt500-1000.png

Atlantic air, thicknesses, need to be deep blue off Atlantic air, now if it was SE or SSE this would do, just dry here no rain yet

Wednesday though a shocker, rain all day, repeat of half term week 17th Feb, never stopped

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

10 minutes of light snow earlier this mornng before it turned to sleet and ice pellets. Warmer upper air is the culprit.