Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

We just have to work with what we've got this winter I think Catch.   No height rises to our north, but neither did 1984.   I am not for a moment suggesting that is going to happen, but just demonstrates what could in the absence of any significant heights.   Everything came in from the west/northwest regularly throughout the month.   By the end of the month, snow was up to my hips!  (Wouldn't take much 'cause I'm only 4'10" - but you get my........ DRIFT!:laugh:)

No great shakes with the 850s either!  Go take a look in the archives.  I'm sure SS has pictures of his mum and dad's house during that winter.

Rrea00119840101.gif

Rrea00119840102.gif

Rrea00119840103.gif

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Wind has really risen these last few hours,started washing car in full winter gear and thought to myself really feeling cold now as I finished came in for a hot tea and saw temperature had fallen to 2.3c no wonder there was a bit of windchill. Dark stormy looking sky too now.

Posted

Dead flat calm here at the moment and rain has just started.  4.2c/3.5c but there has been a pressure drop of 20mbs in 24hrs which suggests it is going to get stormy?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

4.9/3.0C, bit of a breeze, cloudy and damp. Kind of day to be sat in front of TV... I wonder what's on... Oh, the rugby... Scotland v England. 

• Like 1

Posted

I think the 12z run is quite good for Scotland considering.  From 90hrs onwards, with the exceptions of a few frames, 850s range from -4s/-6s/-8s throughout.    Precipitation around so I think the mountains should be quite happy?   Some lowlanders happy too at times I should think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blitzen said:

We just have to work with what we've got this winter I think Catch.   No height rises to our north, but neither did 1984.   I am not for a moment suggesting that is going to happen, but just demonstrates what could in the absence of any significant heights.   Everything came in from the west/northwest regularly throughout the month.   By the end of the month, snow was up to my hips!  (Wouldn't take much 'cause I'm only 4'10" - but you get my........ DRIFT!:laugh:)

No great shakes with the 850s either!  Go take a look in the archives.  I'm sure SS has pictures of his mum and dad's house during that winter.

Rrea00119840101.gif

Rrea00119840102.gif

Rrea00119840103.gif

Interesting charts those, especially in the context of the Stratospheric thread with suggestions of a powerful vortex being nudged south towards Europe. Useless further south, but potential further north and potentially amazing for some. 

Posted

1 hour ago, Ravelin said:

4.9/3.0C, bit of a breeze, cloudy and damp. Kind of day to be sat in front of TV... I wonder what's on... Oh, the rugby... Scotland v England. 

Oh, ok then, I'll just watch this!   La la land though, but a fair enough run and not without interest for Scotland all the same.

gfsnh-0-276.png

gfsnh-2-300.png

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Currently gusting up towards a window rattler, and despite the transient mild uppers, it's cold outside in the wind. Nearer to hand model wise, this Monday night into Tuesday also has potential.

graphe3_1000___-3.45_55.33_.gif

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, moffatross said:

Currently gusting up towards a window rattler, and despite the transient mild uppers, it's cold outside in the wind. Nearer to hand model wise, this Monday night into Tuesday also has potential.

graphe3_1000___-3.45_55.33_.gif

Really?   Don't have enough to stir a crisp packet here.  4.4c/3.8c/E.

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted

Aye, coming ESE, and not just the wind, but the rain is splattering horizontally onto the east facing windows too. Pretty typical of this perpetual wild autumn really, to be getting pish from the east, pish from the south, pish from the west, and pish from the north too :closedeyes:

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, moffatross said:

Aye, coming ESE, and not just the wind, but the rain is splattering horizontally onto the east facing windows too. Pretty typical of this perpetual wild autumn really, to be getting pish from the east, pish from the south, pish from the west, and pish from the north too :closedeyes:

In one word, I'll let you sum up this winter then!:laugh:

• Like 1

Posted

NMM goes a bit bonkers for the West Highland mountains tomorrow, particularly around the Glencoe area. Could have snow coming down at 3-4 inches per hour somewhere in Southern Lochaber late morning into Sunday afternoon if it verifies! :cold:

• Like 2

Posted

ecm uppers not so good but general theme I think is the same.   Changes afoot  I can feel it in my soon to be crystalized water!

• Like 1

Posted

The afternoon of wind and heavy rain appears to have run itself out of steam now but it ended pure torrential and I left me with 15 minutes of mopping up the run-off water that made its way onto the kitchen floor. Some mastic, sand & cement required when it's next dry to fill a crack at the base of an east facing wall. Ho-hum ...

Posted
1 hour ago, skifreak said:

NMM goes a bit bonkers for the West Highland mountains tomorrow, particularly around the Glencoe area. Could have snow coming down at 3-4 inches per hour somewhere in Southern Lochaber late morning into Sunday afternoon if it verifies! :cold:

The Torridon Hills, then Creag Meagaidh, then the Torridons again look to cop even more ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
15 minutes ago, moffatross said:

The Torridon Hills, then Creag Meagaidh, then the Torridons again look to cop even more ?

Well if it'll hang around till next weekend that'll be cool.  Snowshoes waiting in the porch still.

Meanwhile, a bit of a wtf here Firefighters injured in 999 crash after engines leave road near Inverness  wtf.thumb.jpg.5c0bff5a03559bb00e9f7f0c43

Looks a bit barmy.  However I'd guess they got caught out after last night's snap freeze.

• Like 2

Posted

Depends where you are, Catch, and what makes your winter! I can see me getting snow showers at work (250m asl, between Invermoriston and Shiel), possibly a few times this week, but at home... no chance (happy to do a Paddypantsdownhateatingthing though).  However from Weds onwards it looks chilly everywhere.

12 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Depends where you are, Catch, and what makes your winter! I can see me getting snow showers at work (250m asl, between Invermoriston and Shiel), possibly a few times this week, but at home... no chance (happy to do a Paddypantsdownhateatingthing though).  However from Weds onwards it looks chilly everywhere.

Very true, and I am not really expecting much here in the coming week, but we've seen worse charts. Seen better but seen worse, a bit like being a Motherwell fan I would imagine. 

Posted

Chilly outside here, and currently getting some sleet - radar showing lots of pink returns heading eastwards..

Posted

Anyone else find the trafficscotland website STILL about the most irritatingly primitive and hopeless?  None of the useful cameras or weather stations reporting data and the usual incompetent map zooming and scrolling. Grrrr.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Snowing heavy on Glenogle cams 700ft.

• Like 1