Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Friday night into Saturday is shaping up to be very windy, the GFS has been flagging this up for days but the other models didn't seem so keen at times. Not much disagreement now though:

565e9e2f3064d_2ndDecECM00z72hrs.thumb.gi565e9e31ca3cd_2ndDecFAX00z72hrs.thumb.gi565e9e3ae71a4_2ndDecGFS00z72hrs.thumb.pn

565e9e34925e0_2ndDecGFS00z69hrsGusts.thu565e9e3716492_2ndDecGFS00z72hrsGusts.thu565e9e3d360a2_2ndDecWRF-NMM0Z70hrsGusts.

Posted

Looking at charts, scratching my head and trying to work out why there's snow symbols tomorrow afternoon on the Met 5 dayer for my location! This is about the best I can come up with :D

15120318_0200.gif

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Just to add to the folk reporting dramatic temp change yesterday - I made a trip from Beecraigs in the Bathgate Hills down to Livingston & back.  3C, cold and damp when I left, wearing thick clothes and a woolly hat, and when I got out the van at Deans it was 10C and balmy!  The distance is a matter of a few miles.  And then coming back up the hill, in the space of 200m I watched the van's thermometer drop from 10 to 4.  It fell by half a degree every second, and then a minute later it was down to 2.5C.  

I've never seen a fall like that, not one so visibly apparent on the dashboard.  I've felt changes as drastic when climbing out of an inversion layer on a hill, or walking into fog, but have never seen it fall so fast over such a short distance.

Edited by Benvironment
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Variable cloud, windy but dry here this morning. Temp at 8am was 11C. From herein we begin the downward slope of the temperature roller-coaster. Predicted maxes for the next few days for Kemnay are...Wed 11C, Thu 3C, Fri 7C, Sat 8C, Sun 4C

55 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Looking at charts, scratching my head and trying to work out why there's snow symbols tomorrow afternoon on the Met 5 dayer for my location! This is about the best I can come up with :D

15120318_0200.gif

There's a big temp gradient across the low pressure:

565ec2054e384_2ndDecEuro400z42hrs950.thu

GFS 06z seems to take it all a lot further north.

Posted

One little burst of rain pushing through but it's packing a bit of a punch!

Posted
2 hours ago, 101_North said:

Looking at charts, scratching my head and trying to work out why there's snow symbols tomorrow afternoon on the Met 5 dayer for my location! 

They've gone now :-D

15120318_0200.gif

Somewhere around the Moorfoot Hills, north of Peebles, south Midlothian or east South Lanarkshire could take an utter pasting tomorrow, here's the 06z Euro 4:

565ed6d9e5ffb_2ndDecEuro406z36hrs.thumb.

A tiny window of snow opportunity but it's there nonetheless :)

Posted

Don't look like it will be a bad afrernoon now after the rain of earlier. Maybe a not bad couple of days coming up albeit chilly

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Somewhere around the Moorfoot Hills, north of Peebles, south Midlothian or east South Lanarkshire could take an utter pasting tomorrow, here's the 06z Euro 4:

565ed6d9e5ffb_2ndDecEuro406z36hrs.thumb.

A tiny window of snow opportunity but it's there nonetheless :)

Major Downgrade alert :D

15120318_0206.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Major Downgrade alert :D

15120318_0206.gif

D'oh, I've posted the 00z. I think the first couple of frames had updated to the 06z but not the one I posted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Site meeting this morning at major infrastructure project in Caithness this morning... AOB dominated by the weather and choice of biscuits.  Jaffa cakes very popular.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....
Drove to Inverness yesterday morning through sleet and snow, lowest temp -1c. Drove home through sleet and rain, highest temp yesterday evening 12.6c. Dropped again to 5.5c today. Tomorrow we have to head to Snecky again and will be comong home on Friday afternoon. By the time we reach Skye Bridge wind speeds will be well and truly ripping up. I sincerely hope there will be a downgrade and the bridge will not close as we do not fancy staying in Kyle for any longer than we have to! Best take a couple of sleeping bags along with us just in case!

• Like 1

Posted

Latest Met Forecast for tomorrow has added "However, cloud will increase with rain and hill snow spreading northwards".

Maybe a wee surprise for someone with a bit of altitude. 

Latest Met Forecast for tomorrow has added "However, cloud will increase with rain and hill snow spreading northwards".

Maybe a wee surprise for someone with a bit of altitude. 

The Euro4 is back with a small snow window on the 12z:

565f429b0ab2b_2ndDecEuro412z30hrs.thumb.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
Just now, CatchMyDrift said:

All I'm seeing are white frames...huge whiteout blizzard? :D

Weird. I see full size images (Rather than the smaller thumbnails). I used the 'insert other media' tab on the bottom right.

Just now, scottish skier said:

Weird. I see full size images (Rather than the smaller thumbnails). I used the 'insert other media' tab on the bottom right.

They've all loaded in now, might have been my laptop it's been a bit weird today at times.

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The Euro4 is back with a small snow window on the 12z:

565f429b0ab2b_2ndDecEuro412z30hrs.thumb.

I only seem to be able to post by reply to Catch...:cc_confused: at least the wee faces are still here.

Anyhoo... I go out to check the temp (2.3C), get distracted by trying to find snow in the garden (failed) and miss not one BUT TWO Sturridge goals. Bloody weather is more important than football  :oops:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies
7 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

I only seem to be able to post by reply to Catch...:cc_confused: at least the wee faces are still here.

Anyhoo... I go out to check the temp (2.3C), get distracted by trying to find snow in the garden (failed) and miss not one BUT TWO Sturridge goals. Bloody weather is more important than football  :oops:

Took an image of where the main reply button is HC, is that any help?

Capturesforum.JPG

Posted
4 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Took an image of where the main reply button is HC, is that any help?

Capturesforum.JPG

Cheers, I'll try that next time.  THREE!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

CPWhl_eWUAA_rN7.jpg:large

Am impressed that the physio team got him unwrapped in the first place !

• Like 2

Posted

Met office had a lonely wee snow symbol for here for 9pm, teasing gits took it away in the last hour, it's left me glancing shifty eyes out the window though.. 1C

Edited by Northern Strath