Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

12 minutes ago, Harve said:

Seems like an appropriate weekend to return to Scotland, meteorologically speaking.

November was Scotland's second wettest on record, only beaten by 2009, with 245mm of precipitation. Does anyone have statistics for individual locations?

There should be plenty via the Met-O under historic station data:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate-historic/#?tab=climateHistoric

Try this too, it gives an idea of the split across the country (e.g. it was wet in the east of Scotland, but not the 2nd wettest November on record)

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/datasets

Also try this for mapped data:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/anomacts

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Still blowing a hoolie but rain's easing slightly (for now) don't think we're done yet though

Posted
28 minutes ago, Harve said:

Seems like an appropriate weekend to return to Scotland, meteorologically speaking.

November was Scotland's second wettest on record, only beaten by 2009, with 245mm of precipitation. Does anyone have statistics for individual locations?

Southern parts were anomalously wet whereas here in the NE it was actually drier than average http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/anomacts/2015/11/2015_11_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

It is certainly blowing hoodie here at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

seems to be dropping off now here on the isle of lewis.  my top gust so far has been 74.8mph with a top sustained speed of 48.3mph.  23mm of rain so far today as well since 0900.

Posted

A wee bit breezy the night, and stained glass windowing wet to boot as usual.

Saw the repair men on route to the FRB earlier....

FB_20151204_20_27_15_Saved_Picture.thumb

And the train from fife the morrow will be like...

FB_20151204_20_27_02_Saved_Picture.thumb

• Like 9

Posted
3 hours ago, scottish skier said:

LOL

Wings Over Scotland Retweeted

Hey everybody laughing at us in Fife with no bridge. The biggest Amazon distribution in Western Europe is on OUR side. #xmasisnotinthepost

Oh well just have to use this one,.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/11924296

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 4

Posted
4 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

There should be plenty via the Met-O under historic station data:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate-historic/#?tab=climateHistoric

Try this too, it gives an idea of the split across the country (e.g. it was wet in the east of Scotland, but not the 2nd wettest November on record)

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/datasets

Also try this for mapped data:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/anomacts

Thanks! I was wondering in particular whether some West Highland glen had managed 500-600m+. It seems as though even parts of Galloway and Ayrshire managed that. 

This first week of December looks to be even wetter than any November week, if it keeps up like this then December too could break some records. 

Posted

Back garden flooded in Stirling - woke up to massive puddle in the kitchen...

Cats got it tight until I realised it wasn't yellow, and didn't smell.

:oops:

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, GraemeB said:

Back garden flooded in Stirling - woke up to massive puddle in the kitchen...

Cats got it tight until I realised it wasn't yellow, and didn't smell.

:oops:

I hope your house is ok?

Posted

Well, the flooring has warped a little bit - but thankfully I was up at 0500 and spotted it enough to clear it up and "sandbag" the door - looks like it came in from the bottom of it...

Checked all the drains outside to make sure they weren't blocked, so hopefully, fingers crossed, we're okay...

Not looking good weatherwise for the rest of today - thoughts with those in the Borders and Cumbria...

I've cancelled going up to get my boys today (after postponing it last night). And when you see things like this happening right where you might have been travelling it makes you realise you've made the right choice. I hope no-one's hurt :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

And another:

https://twitter.com/trafficscotland/status/673040888189353984

Traffic Scotland ‏@trafficscotland  2h2 hours ago
*UPDATE* #M90 is *CLOSED* both directions btwn J8 & J9 due to bad flooding. Div map attached & team on site now 

Stay safe folks. Looks like a day to avoid long journeys anyway!

EDIT. Looks like a fair bit of aquaplaning going on today. Pic from traffic Scotland which looks like a classic case:

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

...... Some day.

tbh, I've been busy with uni and other stuff laterly so hadn't checked the weather forecast yesterday afternoon, which is unlike me.

needless to say, pouring rain, conditions that were making cars aquaplane and windy which were pushing the car violently (thank god I wasn't driving a lorry as the winds are really very fierce when you have a high-sides vehicle) around.

rain has been heavy and constant all night. Truly atrocious. 

Hope we don't see too much flooding (including Cumbria in that) but I suspect the 'usual suspects' river wise will be very, very close to bursting. 

Posted

Yes a thoroughly nasty day out there for many parts of Scotland (and N England). I think SS's advice about avoiding long journeys is very important. Between the Forth Bridge closure and the rain it looks like several main routes are badly affected.

Meanwhile here in the Aberdeen it has been almost totally dry thanks to the mountain rain shadow effect.

Stay safe people.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
11 minutes ago, doctormog said:

Meanwhile here in the Aberdeen it has been almost totally dry thanks to the mountain rain shadow effect.

Rain shadow seems to be protecting the eastern borders so far too.

Oh aye it's still raining, but not torrential and even just light at times. Radar does show a lower intensity band running along the midland valley axis with the east of course getting away with less intensity.

NW England / SW Scotland and the Highlands taking the biggest hit.

Of course with the ground saturated though, even lighter rain can cause localised flooding.

Then there's what's over Ireland right now making its way towards us...

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

In the last 24 hours I've had over 67mm of rain. Top wind speed yesterday was a mere 49.9 mph. Power stayed on, thankfully! The huge lochs that appeared in our garden have vanished overnight. Wet and windy all week though, but looks like a bit of a change next weekend!

Edited by mistyqueen

I've still had in the back of my mind that I should have gone up to get my boys, then I went onto FB for a few minutes and found pics like this. This is the main road through Bridge of Weir, next village down from Kilmacolm and a road I would have to have gone through to get there:

5662b88937fb1_BridgeofWeir5thDec2015.thu

The source for this pic is from this FB page: https://www.facebook.com/benelimusic/?fref=photo

Posted

I know it won't last but the rain seems to have eased............but at the same time the wind's got back up (didn't have much wind at first earlier)