Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
52 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I've still had in the back of my mind that I should have gone up to get my boys, then I went onto FB for a few minutes and found pics like this. This is the main road through Bridge of Weir, next village down from Kilmacolm and a road I would have to have gone through to get there:

5662b88937fb1_BridgeofWeir5thDec2015.thu

The source for this pic is from this FB page: https://www.facebook.com/benelimusic/?fref=photo

I can sympathise with what you are saying. However, the boys were saying how they could only do 60mph heading south. Very bad surface water and this is on the motorway....

i wouldn't feel regret if I were you :)

lights constantky flickering here, power may go later... Fml. 

Exceedingly wet. Was briefly lighter but it's very heavy now. 

Was not fun on the Quadbike this morning, trying to get a few jobs done. Was as if I was getting  shot by bullets of rain, it hurt haha. 

Posted

Everyone should have a duvet day today and stays safe, not a nice day. Surprised I still remain in the FK postcode area, but it was close, Time yet as wind has really beefed up again.

Lots of fields are flowing onto main routes so please check route before you head out, or just stay in.

Posted

Feeling lucky to be in NE Fife, there's only been a bit of light rain and drizzle here in Crail.

Wind is picking up again, 10.2c

Stay safe everyone.

Posted
13 hours ago, Cheggers said:

Wings Over Scotland Retweeted

Hey everybody laughing at us in Fife with no bridge. The biggest Amazon distribution in Western Europe is on OUR side. #xmasisnotinthepost

Oh well just have to use this one,.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/11924296

The biggest amazon warehouse in western Europe is actually on nobody's side but their own. But I'm not surprised that Stuart Campbell is obtuse enough to gloat about it without thinking twice about mistreated employees or tax evasion :closedeyes:

• Like 1

Some of the flooding is crazy for major roads:

Edit: D'oh, I should read the thread before posting...

Edited by CatchMyDrift

53 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

I can sympathise with what you are saying. However, the boys were saying how they could only do 60mph heading south. Very bad surface water and this is on the motorway....

i wouldn't feel regret if I were you :)

lights constantky flickering here, power may go later... Fml.

Exceedingly wet. Was briefly lighter but it's very heavy now.

Was not fun on the Quadbike this morning, trying to get a few jobs done. Was as if I was getting  shot by bullets of rain, it hurt haha.

Thanks SWS, I feel better now but it felt weird not pushing that extra mile for them which is what I'm used to. I felt sick but it's defo been the wisest choice.

I know the weather might only warrant an amber warning but I think the police should be issuing a red roads warning (if that makes sense). It's carnage out there and people should be told to stay at home unless necessary. I know it wouldn't stop everyone from going out, but they should do their bit to stop any more carnage or before someone gets killed.

Edit: That's an amber out for the wind in the far south-east, gusts up to 80mph over higher ground...

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  1. A85 A827 - Crianlarich - Closure, All lanes closed in both directions for more than an hour http://tscot.org/01c110080  #TSIncident

2. *NEW* #A85 Loch Dochart is *CLOSED* in both directions due to flooding, the loch has burst onto the road #BeAware #StaySafe

3. *NEW* #A8 Greenock - NOW CLOSED due to flooding. @ScotTRanserv are on site now #BeAwareDumfriesGPolice  44m44 minutes ago*New* - #A701 - 1/2 mile south of Moffat. Roadway is reportedly BLOCKED. Emergency services en-route. @trafficscotland #DGWeather

*New* - #A701 - 1/2 mile south of Moffat. Roadway is reportedly BLOCKED. Emergency services en-route. @trafficscotland #DGWeather

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
3 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Thanks SWS, I feel better now but it felt weird not pushing that extra mile for them which is what I'm used to. I felt sick but it's defo been the wisest choice.

I know the weather might only warrant an amber warning but I think the police should be issuing a red roads warning (if that makes sense). It's carnage out there and people should be told to stay at home unless necessary. I know it wouldn't stop everyone from going out, but they should do their bit to stop any more carnage or before someone gets killed.

[Like this forum upgrade tbh! Like on TSR you get notifications when people quote you (maybe you got that before but it's better) and it is more phone friendly. Better to quote.... So many posts I lost on the politics forum back in the day, much better :) ]

aye I know but you could get hurt or worse. I'm sure your kids would rather you were still here. Perhaps a bit blunt and melodramatic but you follow....

i mean it's a bit 'pot, kettle' for me to say this as I'm quite carefree and think **** it. However, of I had kids then I'd be more inclined to 'fight another day'. 

I agree. However, people would travel anyway tbh. Glad I don't live near a river, would hate for my house to be flooded i must admit

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SW Saltire said:

[Like this forum upgrade tbh! Like on TSR you get notifications when people quote you (maybe you got that before but it's better) and it is more phone friendly. Better to quote.... So many posts I lost on the politics forum back in the day, much better :) ]

aye I know but you could get hurt or worse. I'm sure your kids would rather you were still here. Perhaps a bit blunt and melodramatic but you follow....

i mean it's a bit 'pot, kettle' for me to say this as I'm quite carefree and think **** it. However, of I had kids then I'd be more inclined to 'fight another day'.

I agree. However, people would travel anyway tbh. Glad I don't live near a river, would hate for my house to be flooded i must admit

If it was just me I'd probs go for it and "enjoy" the danger of it all, but when you get older you get scareder :D:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
21 minutes ago, moffatross said:

The biggest amazon warehouse in western Europe is actually on nobody's side but their own. But I'm not surprised that Stuart Campbell is obtuse enough to gloat about it without thinking twice about mistreated employees or tax evasion :closedeyes:

I'd agree with that first bit*, but the tweet was light hearted and by someone who's moniker is 'NewScotGirl', not Stuart Campbell / WoS (based in Bath not fife) who just re-tweeted it.

Rain still mainly light to moderate here and fairly windy.

Need to pop out to the shops so I'll get a bit of local reconnaissance in too re wind damage and flooding.

---

*And there's nothing the Scot Gov can do about that as its not something they have control over, but that's for the politics thread.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
29 minutes ago, moffatross said:

I've actually no idea who Stuart Campbell is, but I agree with your point all the same :girl_devil:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies
1 hour ago, doctormog said:

Possibly more suited the N England thread but for info there is now a red warning out for parts of Cumbria http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1449273600

35 minutes ago, GraemeB said:

RED Alert issued for Cumbria

Bloody Hell.

If you are looking for some more updates - check out the Storm Desmond thread here

Crazy video shared by Polar Maritime.

Posted
47 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

If it was just me I'd probs go for it and "enjoy" the danger of it all, but when you get older you get scareder :D:D

Agree haha. But I would have contradicted my advice to you if I was honest! haha.

depends on your car, a 4x4 then even if snowy I'd go for it but in a sports car or tiny, small, old car then... Nah.

Posted
38 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

I've actually no idea who Stuart Campbell is, but I agree with your point all the same :girl_devil:

Someone who some people don't like due to the content and huge popularity of blog, wingsoverscotland.com

Anyway, just been out to the shops. It's really been not that bad here. The rain the other day ahead of that surprise snow was much worse. Just a few big puddles mainly this time, so far at least.

Seems rain shadow is acting as a decent buffer for the eastern borders.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

The rain is just relentless! Back garden is flooded as well

Posted
7 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Someone who some people don't like due to the content and huge popularity of blog, wingsoverscotland.com

Disliking him has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with how much right-wing nonsense you're prepared to tolerate. As a YES voter and an SNP member, I perceive him as a neo-fascist gobsh... who knows or cares very little about contemporary Scotland (and how could he having made his home in the SW of England ?) but enjoys the buzz he gets from his excited numpty fans :)

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The police are advising against travel in the South-West and the Scottish Borders, more on Traffic Scotland:

https://trafficscotland.org/weather/index.aspx?regionid=5&b=a6200

It's grim in the hoose let alone outside. We have soaked carpets in both our south facing rooms. Render and wooden windows are no match for hour upon hour of heavy rain lashed in on gale force winds.

Posted
2 minutes ago, moffatross said:

Disliking him has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with how much right-wing nonsense you're prepared to tolerate. As a YES voter and an SNP member, I perceive him as a neo-fascist gobsh... who knows or cares very little about contemporary Scotland (and how could he having made his home in the SW of England ?) but enjoys the buzz he gets from his excited numpty fans :)

I think he's an erse at times too, but he does do some decent investigative journalism, hence the high readership. 

Anyway not the thread for such things. I didn't mean to cause any offence when I posted that retweet. I know what Amazon are like and I think the original tweeter wasn't gloating, but making a light-hearted joke about the bridge situation with Christmas coming up. Certainly, I imagine Amazon Fife are not in the least pleased about the bridge situation!

Not good at all for many, but I like the way people are generally taking it with humour.

• Like 2