Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
3 minutes ago, moffatross said:

It's grim in the hoose let alone outside. We have soaked carpets in both our south facing rooms. Render and wooden windows are no match for hour upon hour of heavy rain lashed in on gale force winds.

Aye, we had the same one storm a couple of years back.

We're pretty sheltered by trees, but even they couldn't stop serious wind at just the right angle blowing rain actually up and under windowframes and into some rooms. Builders don't seem to consider that water can flow uphill in Scotland sometimes!

• Like 1

Posted

Still relentless rain. I wonder what the final totals will end up being

Posted
31 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Aye, we had the same one storm a couple of years back.

We're pretty sheltered by trees, but even they couldn't stop serious wind at just the right angle blowing rain actually up and under windowframes and into some rooms. Builders don't seem to consider that water can flow uphill in Scotland sometimes!

Haha, exactly ! Uphill rain or jetwash rain are horrible and unmanageable. Most of Moffat is immune to flooding from rivers but not from the flash flood run-offs from the hills or the weathering rain. Just saw that Whitesands in Dumfries has flooded again.

P.S. No offence taken or meant re amazon and/or WOS and I think most people know or can make their own assessments of both :-)

• Like 1

Posted

Fife getting pretty desperate, the M90 has now been closed at Glenfarg due to flooding.

Posted

Annan in Moffat is already at 95% of its highest ever SEPA recorded level and with another 12 hours of rain to come, I can't see anything but a new high.

http://apps.sepa.org.uk/waterlevels/?sd=t&lc=133182

As I said on Thursday afternoon while we were all getting excited by the snow, this has been well modelled ...

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/84475-scotland-weather-discussion-20th-november-2015-and-onwards/?do=findComment&comment=3295587

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
55 minutes ago, moffatross said:

Haha, exactly ! Uphill rain or jetwash rain are horrible and unmanageable. Most of Moffat is immune to flooding from rivers but not from the flash flood run-offs from the hills or the weathering rain. Just saw that Whitesands in Dumfries has flooded again.

P.S. No offence taken or meant re amazon and/or WOS and I think most people know or can make their own assessments of both :-)

The whitesands always floods! 

inevitable haha. Tbh, they knew it was coming and were well prepared. I've seen it right up before so it's nothing too unusual. 

However, the disruption to roads etc is. Some BMW over took my step-dad when he was taking the dogs to the beach and raced past at 50ish and then hit a large puddle, skidded, held it but engine was dead. So a repair and recovery job.....

some people never learn

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Raining steadily here, nothing spectacular but glad it just runs into the firth the other side of the house. 

But the bus-stop where I used to wait to go to school (in Kendal) is now underwater, I think for the first time since the early 60s. And no, I can't remember that!

Posted

Went out to Sainsburys in Stirling, and the Forth has burst it's banks at Drip Road area...actually looks pretty bad.

Absolutely horrific outside.

Red weather warning now extended into the southern-most Borders! Hawick (roughly) southwards to the border itself.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
54 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Red weather warning now extended into the southern-most Borders! Hawick (roughly) southwards to the border itself.

I noticed there's a hefty band being forecast on the back edge of this storm as it finally passes through...it's going to be a horrible night tonight with a fair few people not sleeping very well.

_87053200_stirling.jpg

From BBC site.

Edited by GraemeB

Posted

Bus blown off the road. Reading that the roof of Cineworld in Glasgow has also been losing bits.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted

Awesomely shocking day, I do not think that Dollar records 40mm of rain in a day every year. The Devon in Menstrie is nearing high levels, http://apps.sepa.org.uk/waterlevels/default.aspx?sd=t&lc=14891 and I am quite sure that some more cm's of water are still to come down from Glendevon.

Mild but exciting, it will be a nice, floody walk tomorrow when I go to Tilly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Really wierd reading all the reports from up here in Aberdeenshire. We haven't had a drop of rain and when I was out mid afternoon with the dog it was dead calm, not a breath of wind. Mild and gloomy is the worst we've had after some strong, but not excessively so, winds last night. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

The rain just won't go away! I'm loving the wind though, it could be stronger

Posted

Carron has burst its banks here. http://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/news/local-news/weather-update-roads-closed-as-river-carron-bursts-its-banks-1-3967355

Is see the Met now have a red warning for SW Scotland, lothian and Borders

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

Another lovely day here in the trossachs main st in Aberfoyle was flooded this morning and a couple of the local shops have a bit of mopping up to do pretty bad but certainly not the worst I've seen. 

I was wondering if sombody more knowledgeable than myself could help me with a question .can the river forth in aberfoyle which is at least 30-40 miles away from Edinburgh be at all affected by the tide im blue in the face arguing with local EXPERTS saying the flooding is totally controlled  by tides i believe it is just down to how heavy the precipitation is and how much snow melt anyone with any input would be much appreciated 

Posted
33 minutes ago, biggreyface said:

Another lovely day here in the trossachs main st in Aberfoyle was flooded this morning and a couple of the local shops have a bit of mopping up to do pretty bad but certainly not the worst I've seen. 

I was wondering if sombody more knowledgeable than myself could help me with a question .can the river forth in aberfoyle which is at least 30-40 miles away from Edinburgh be at all affected by the tide im blue in the face arguing with local EXPERTS saying the flooding is totally controlled  by tides i believe it is just down to how heavy the precipitation is and how much snow melt anyone with any input would be much appreciated 

As I understand it, the tidal limit of the Forth is basically at Stirling. 

Here you go:

http://tinyurl.com/hek57gm

• Like 1

Posted

The rain appears to be finally diminishing a bit but the wind is not. Still horrible out there but not cold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
11 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Here you go:

If I remember correctly, flooding can occur even upstream of the tidal limit. Basically, at high tide the river flow rate will be reduced because of the smaller difference between the water heights. You'll also get some slowing of flow rates as the tide is rising due to the back flow. 

Having said that, I'm 100% certain Aberfoyle is way too far upstream for that to have any affect at all. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

If I remember correctly, flooding can occur even upstream of the tidal limit. Basically, at high tide the river flow rate will be reduced because of the smaller difference between the water heights. You'll also get some slowing of flow rates as the tide is rising. 

Having said that, I'm 100% certain Aberfoyle is way too far upstream for that to have any affect at all. 

Agreed. A quick check and Aberfoyle is 80 m asl; that's way too high for there still to be tidal effects.

Posted

Some photos of Aberfoyle flooding.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-35014930

_87050758_img_0913.jpg

_87051774_7a03c79c-9cb6-4ff7-9ae5-bef39f

Another view of Aberfoyle with more than there should be under water

Questions over why levels are so high?

--

As for here. It's stopped raining. Was never very intense as posted earlier. Seems strange given Hawick isn't that far from me.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms
38 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Here you go:

Thanks ss that basically confirms what I thought