Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Currently 4.4c, dry and skies clearing. No wind, or at least, very little wind! Just for a change! Snow on hills behind the house. We had hail and sleet earlier on so it almost looked like a snowfall. Clearer and drier over the weekend I believe....I hope!

Posted

Should have added to my earlier post that there is lying snow down to about 600 to 800 feet on all the hills round the Firth with Ben Wyvis looking particularly white. Just had a heavy sleet shower but it is now clear and 1.5c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

Hod the bus folks...nae mare spraff aboot awe this winter stuff! Hiv ye no heard the MT have cancelled it awe. Wheesht! keep yir neb oot cause they're pure bilein, pit the lights out in they'll no see we've hid SNAW!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

A wee bit nippy this morning, currently -0.2c, light cloud and very calm. Nice for some doggie walking this afternoon!

Posted

Dull  damp and dreich this morning after some light showers overnight. Relatively mild though at 3.5c after the ice of yesterday  morning when a few cars slipped off the local side roads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
41 minutes ago, peborant said:

Is the band of precipitation not further north than expected? 

I think it might be one of those bands that looks heavier on the radar than it is, at least away from the areas of high intensity.

It's supposed to be edging over me right now, but seems more just very fine drizzle.

2.7 C and grey.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

22 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

I think it might be one of those bands that looks heavier on the radar than it is, at least away from the areas of high intensity.

It's supposed to be edging over me right now, but seems more just very fine drizzle.

2.7 C and grey.

Ditto here. Cold, damp and unusually calm.

As for its location, it's a litte further north than it was modelled early yesterday, but a lot further south than it was modelled a few days ago.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Heavy sleety rain, 4.1c

snowing with height further inland but not really condusive to lowland snowfall. Even where it's snowing, it isn't lying apparently so just a horrible day oncemore

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

0C with a thick fog blanket lying in the glen and cloudless blue skies above - beautiful.  Temps are heading south too. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Hmm, turned tae snaw at Carter bar.

http://trafficscotland.org/livetrafficcameras/view/?cam=69

This @ 13:17:

carter.jpg

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Had a small amount of rain here. Skies clearing again. Tonight going to be cold!

Posted

Reporting in from Copenhagen where it's been a sunny day with the temperature maxing at 6c.

• Like 1

Posted

Dropping like a stone indeed, the station on top of the roof of the Academy is reading -0.8º but I borrowed a sensor off the Geography dept and its now hanging happily from the clothes hanging pole over nice grass at 1.6m. It says -4º, which considering the clear skies is not a difference that surprises me. 

Walked up Whitewisp Hill (640m) today, the freezing level at 12pm was at 600m. Temperature dropped noticeably above 500m though. Gullies of snow of 30cm in places but some places barely had more than a crust of ice. That above 450m, below that snow was patchier in nature with the snowline at some 300m. Oh, I also saw some snow while on the top, when the front got at its most northerly point. Truly worth the three-hour walk! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Just on freezing again here tonight.  Was out on my bike earlier on, round and about inland on the Black Isle and boy was it cold - fingers and toes - :cold: but lovely wintry scenes in places.

Icy underfoot in Inverness earlier this evening - not seeing much gritting of pavements this winter so far; maybe they're afraid the mongooses will gobble it up.

• Like 1

Posted

Away with work this week in Phoenix so it's bound to snow back home! Here it's gearing up to be the coldest week so far! Mid 20's last week, mid 20's next week but for my arrival they've rolled out 17c dropping to 13c by Tuesday with night temps below 0c! Still....no wind, blue sky and sun. Can't grumble too much :-)

Edit:

On currents stats looks like Edinburgh is about 4c less than forecast at -4c. Coldest night of the year I think so far.

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Husband says  thermometer reading -4C here and its baltic

Edited by mardatha
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Clear blue sky and very frosty here, beautiful day for a walk so will drag the kids out later.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Hit -3.7C overnight a day still below -2C with a good frost as a result. Probably the coldest I've noticed so far this winter. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Jack Frost paid us a healthy visit, everything white this morning, nice clear skies and a bright cold start to the day. Clear North South divide around and a 15.5 temp gradient across the UK yesterday at one point.

iles_britanniques_now.thumb.png.08449fe7

Tried to have a look for Geminids last night but gave up due to miserable light pollution and neighbours 'lighthouse' security lights! Plus the fact It was freezing!

Still a few yellow warnings in place from the met office for this evening before that warm front travels North.

1900.thumb.png.e626f469d2d0d8b71ed55b47e2200.thumb.png.0146f98389e270387dea004db

The isotherm chart another that illustrates the huge difference in airmass.

viewimage.thumb.png.d2321113cfc89b2305d9PPVA89.thumb.gif.cbd56a742ebbd65e2cb983c

Xmas day now in range out in the 1 out of 10 of those charts will ever verify range ( if you're) lucky, a couple have the trop vortex migrating across the north of the country which will make the outlook anything but boring in the lead up to Xmas. Miles away but worth watching whilst elsewhere the focus is on plumes!

Edit - away from our shores, the Bering Sea about to get hammered by a monster low. I know there are a few fans of our Atlantic Beastie's - this one is a beauty.

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/151212-13_himawari8_water_vapor_Bering_Sea_storm_anim.gif

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 2