Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I had a browse through the various winter-related threads on here last night and came away none the wiser re our chances of snow and prolonged cold.   Definitely nothing obvious on the horizon although as usual at this time of year there are some teases way out in lala land.

Tomorrow looks like a decent shot of something wintry at slight elevation and away from coasts.  Not here then, said youngest HC, who is rather more realistic than he was when I first joined the forum 10 years ago. He was 7 then...

• Like 1

Posted

Rain was absolutely horrendous at half past 5 this morning. Dried up now though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

winds have ramped up very quickly here in the western isles, sustained winds just below 40mph gusting 60mph at the moment.  Seems to be a very prone direction for us here on the west coast as its currently between 180 and 220degrees which makes for a lot of noise.

Posted

It doesn't look like tomorrow evening's snow showers will amount to much but the GFS ensemble set does suggest there's a 50/50 chance of a heavy snow event on the northern edge of the system passing by on Saturday night. If the dice do fall right, its trajectory is nowhere near nailed down yet, so it could affect anywhere from Southern Scotland to Argyll/Stirling.

31 minutes ago, moffatross said:

It doesn't look like tomorrow evening's snow showers will amount to much but the GFS ensemble set does suggest there's a 50/50 chance of a heavy snow event on the northern edge of the system passing by on Saturday night. If the dice do fall right, its trajectory is nowhere near nailed down yet, so it could affect anywhere from Southern Scotland to Argyll/Stirling.

At one point on earlier GFS runs the precip just about cleared the north of Scotland, so we'll see what happens :D

Posted

Evening all,

Windy evening here too, gusts to 60mph I would reckon. Temperature currently 9.7c.

Just had a quick look at the monthly readings to date. Much like November it's been a very mild start to the month with Scottish stations generally +1 to +4c above the mean (from north to south, roughly). Nothing to some of the anomalies down south where there are plenty of +5 and +6c readings!

Anyway more seasonable temperatures on the way for the next few days with snow possibilities for those with a bit of altitude. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, NUT said:

A bit of a squall coming through currently very sharp burst

...coming through...

You're only coming through in waves... Pink Floyd's Wall, 1978 and endless rows with my dad...

I think my head's been somewhere else today.  Been working away at a report while watching and hearing the weather, and as each minor squall passes through, I look up and a different set of memories come back.  

• Like 2

Posted

After a short squally burst cold air is clearly filtering through, temp dropped from 10.5º to 8.8º in less than half an hour. 

Another day of copious rain at 17.6mm for the time being, would not be surprised if we hit the magical 20 in the next four hours. 

122.2mm so far this month. 

http://dollarweather.co.uk/data/NOAAMO.TXT

Hopefully this front will deliver a few surprises, as Clodagh did! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Top gust of 66mph in Dyce early evening. It was pretty blustery when I left work an hour or so before that. Otherwise a mild but unremarkable day. 

Posted

Blustery and showers cleared (for now) seeing some of that thing they call "clear sky" that exists beyond the clouds, not seen that for a while!

Posted

Snow risk further north on this run, southern Scotland/far North of England look like a sweet spot 

Freezing levels around 100m over the Newcastle area, could be a tricky commute if this comes of 

nmmuk-37-70-0.png?10-00  nmmuk-37-72-0.png?10-00

Could see a couple of inches, of a nice surprise for those in the purple zones considering how mild it's been lately. 

• Like 2

Posted

A covering once I got up and heavy snow with some strong winds blowing it in. Slow journey to work and some flashes of lightening accompanying the snow between Tomatin and Moy. Tasty

image.jpg

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 6

Posted

Currently 1.5c here with few passing sleet showers mostly sunny though with a strong west wind.A bit of a change from 10c yesterday

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Winter continues in the Highlands with Snow showers pushing in from the N/W today.

a.thumb.png.21c04d18122162f9042a1c7ad44e

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Temp sat around 2/3C this morning as I left the house, and just afterwards a short shower with some sleet mixed in. Cleared up to blue skies and sun now.

Posted
4 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

Winter continues in the Highlands with Snow showers pushing in from the N/W today.

a.thumb.png.21c04d18122162f9042a1c7ad44e

From the south-west, even?  Not quite as vigorously as expected, all the same. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Rainfall totals at 5pm yesterday...76.3mm. That was more than Friday's drenching. Today a massive drop in temperature, down to 3.2c accompanied by hail and sleet. I even saw a patch or two of blue sky in Portree! Best not get to excited at the thought of some calm weather coming in, eh?

Posted

That is a cold wind out there.. Been a few showers blowing through many with hail but plenty of clearer periods aswell meaning you can see lots of Anvils and CBs in the distance.. Lots of planes noticeable aswell heading for North America from London or Europe..

Posted
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

From the south-west, even?  Not quite as vigorously as expected, all the same. 

Yes meant to say pushing into the N/W ☺

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Quite a change in scenery at Drumochter in the past wee while.

http://trafficscotland.org/livetrafficcameras/view/?cam=65

At 15:44:

1544.jpg

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Posted

Real mix today, some blue sky and bright sunshine one minute then black clouds with heavy showers, some with hail. Getting very overcast again as I type.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Heavy rain, turned sleety and now to snow, here in Stirling. Not really lying as it's so wet but it covers your clothes and is visible on some cars. Somewhere with height will be doing well I'd expect

Posted

White mongooses on the top of the Black Isle, gets sleety above about 150m.

The next one is called Storm Enteritis so any ppn should be... avoided!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

Gales followed by torrential rain followed by drastic drop in temps followed by torrential sleet followed by clear skies and ice followed by torrential sleat followed by torrential snow followed by sleat...I feel dizzy!  24 hours weather in Scotland is not for the nervous.

• Like 4