Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

1 hour ago, Paul said:

First winter here in the Highlands, no issues with the weather it's about as expected - albeit not that cold yet, but the big surprise is the darkness. I knew the days would be shorter, but it's still a shock to the system to still be pretty much in the dark at 830 in the morning, and by 4pm in the afternoon!

At least you've got the long summer nights to look forward to, it's great to be able to see the drizzle and midges until 11pm :p

Posted
1 hour ago, Paul said:

First winter here in the Highlands, no issues with the weather it's about as expected - albeit not that cold yet, but the big surprise is the darkness. I knew the days would be shorter, but it's still a shock to the system to still be pretty much in the dark at 830 in the morning, and by 4pm in the afternoon!

But when June comes and you can see the red glow of the sun all night to the the north  together with noctilucient  clouds and the dawn sun rising again at 3.00am it will make the dark days seem very far away.  My mother who was a Londoner used  to marvel at being able to read a paper outside at 11.00pm in June

Edited by Northernlights
missed word
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Reading outside late evening with a midge net on is ok - you need one with a window.  We were looking at a midsummer holiday next year in Finnmark - apparently the mosquitoes are pretty voracious but you might need your shades even at midnight. That sounds weird...

• Like 2

Posted

hi just seen the radar  pretty horrible hope it don't cause to many problems

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
4 hours ago, Paul said:

As a native of Carrbridge I hope you are enjoying your new home. Hogmanay is great in the area; Cairn Hotel in Carrbridge is brilliant (I'm obviously biased); usually music into the wee small hours. 

For great local music (a good way of getting through the long winter nights), I can recommend going to listen to this group if they are playing at a local hotel/pub:

http://www.annedicksonband.co.uk/

Also 'Gilly' who often plays with his brother Fergie as 'The Brothers Gilly'. I see this on his facebook for example:

THE BROTHERS GILLY will be playing on the First Of Jan 2016 from 3'oclock in the afternoon until 7'oclock in the evening at The Macdui Inn, Aviemore

You can say Hi from me; close family friends (my mother used to sing with Anne and Gilly many years ago).

Mind and first foot the neighbours if you can!

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Mind and first foot the neighbours if you can!

Mis-read that as 'first shoot the neighbours'.  Slip of the Freuds there...

Balmy December evening here after a pretty chilly day up near Wick.  Not much rain today though!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Bloody horrible wet night and now a windy wet morning. Long summer nights seem a memory from a different world.

Posted

On the topic of Aviemore...

Jeez. That's quite bad flooding.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/inverness/772612/boats-used-in-holiday-park-rescue/

PICTURES: ‘My husband saved my life in Aviemore floods’

A woman has praised her husband’s vigilance for saving their lives at the weekend after a Highland river burst its banks and submerged an entire holiday park and nearby pub.

-----

EDIT

And still on the topic of Aviemore. For those that remember the skiing heydays, this site has some great photos of 'Auld Aviemore'.

Santa Claus land, bright pink ski suits and tashes / sideburns etc.  Includes plenty of snow photos too.

http://auldaviemore.moonfruit.com/

A real trip down memory lane for those who remember that period.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! Yet another mild and blustery night. Temps reached the dizzy heights of 14.8c yesterday, rain was a measly 18mm, Max wind speed 48.8mph. Those figures may well be topped sometime this week, but it looks like a change on the way for the weekend, not before time. Getting a wee bit fed up of horizontal rain!

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Scotland is unique we have higher temperatures in winter than in summer! This mild air has to sink south eventually!

Thursday has snow potential for some according to the models and then high pressure. Would be nice some cold frosty calm weather.

• Like 1

Posted

Well here goes  I predict  proper winter will arrive just before Christmas with a fair bit of snow and frost. How do I know this I have just seen Highland Council burning diesel in an empty gritter/snowplough going round the local  side roads.  Probably showing new driver round the route but could have done it in a van. Have they had a  warning issued from sources we do not see? Most unusual behaviour. Are they preparing for the holiday period with relief drivers?

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!

This just appeared out my window after a heavy shower.

WP_20151208_001.JPG

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

10.5C, dry and sunny. Not too bad a start to Spring this year, just a bit early. :nonono:

• Like 2

Posted

Mild and half decent morning, then progressively wetter and cooler this afternoon. Tomorrow looks like the inside of your grandad's underpants from the word go.

Have seen empty gritters on the A82 and area too.  Maybe all the old boys retired in one year?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

^ we've already had difficulties with gritters this year, couple weeks ago my dad nearly hit the wall due to ice in the centre of Inverness. Very unusual for the gritters not to have been out.

Posted
10 hours ago, scottish skier said:

On the topic of Aviemore...

Jeez. That's quite bad flooding.

-----

EDIT

And still on the topic of Aviemore. For those that remember the skiing heydays, this site has some great photos of 'Auld Aviemore'.

Santa Claus land, bright pink ski suits and tashes / sideburns etc.  Includes plenty of snow photos too.

http://auldaviemore.moonfruit.com/

A real trip down memory lane for those who remember that period.

Ahh good ole Santa Claus Land. Fond memories indeed. I remember Go Karting there when I was wee. It was mid January and about -14/-15C, (the sort of temperature they probably wouldn't allow kids to drive about in these days) I remember they pretty much had to chizzle us out of the karts. We all sat track side afterwards looking something like this 

image.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

Ahh good ole Santa Claus Land. Fond memories indeed. I remember Go Karting there when I was wee. It was mid January and about -14/-15C, (the sort of temperature they probably wouldn't allow kids to drive about in these days) I remember they pretty much had to chizzle us out of the karts. We all sat track side afterwards looking something like this 

I first put on skis on the small dry slope at the back of Aviemore centre. Probably 1981-2 aged 6. 

Remember the first time my parents dumped me 'up the hill' at 7.30 in the morning. Every School holiday I was going to be forced up at the crack of dawn to the miserable cold and sleet of the hill. 'You're learning to ski son; that's it. ok'. I was horrified.

Soon fell in love with it. Never looked back.

Aye, those were the days.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

I first put on skis on the small dry slope at the back of Aviemore centre. Probably 1981-2 aged 6. 

Remember the first time my parents dumped me 'up the hill' at 7.30 in the morning. Every School holiday I was going to be forced up at the crack of dawn to the miserable cold and sleet of the hill. 'You're learning to ski son; that's it. ok'. I was horrified.

Soon fell in love with it. Never looked back.

Aye, those were the days.

Haha same story here. I remember those winters, chucked on ski's and taken up the hill, often in crazy winds, sideways snow smacking of your numb face, barely able to see the end of your ski's. We often ended up at the Lecht due to the crowds on the gorm. The Poma tow's causing ritual embarrassment as you got dragged up the hill in all manors. Soon addicted to it though. Never forgot being told 'if you can ski in Scotland, you'll be able to ski anywhere'. Very thankfull my folks dragged me up 

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 2

Posted

Down to 1.8C already, on the coast.  With the rain only having stopped after dark, it could be interesting driving in the morning if the gritters are still driving around empty.

Posted

It was just over 2C when I looked about 15mins ago but pavements and roads look fairly dry so shouldn't be an ice problem here. 

So tomorrow's forecast is mild with strong winds in the afternoon. Then its on to a cooler period with forecast maxes of 3 or 4C through to Sunday. At least were getting some cooler temperatures at times between the mild sessions, unlike our southerly bretheren. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!

They've been using all the gritters to weight check the Forth Bridge I believe....

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Well here goes  I predict  proper winter will arrive just before Christmas with a fair bit of snow and frost. How do I know this I have just seen Highland Council burning diesel in an empty gritter/snowplough going round the local  side roads.  Probably showing new driver round the route but could have done it in a van. Have they had a  warning issued from sources we do not see? Most unusual behaviour. Are they preparing for the holiday period with relief drivers?

I like the logic NL, and the GFS at +384hrs is giving us the first guess at Xmas weather (drum roll please.....):

5667cb6d5da84_9thDecGFS00z384hrs850.thum

While it might not be the snowiest run ever seen I think we'd all happily bank that one right now :D

Posted
7 hours ago, tiff said:

They've been using all the gritters to weight check the Forth Bridge I believe....

Aye. From twitter account of a Senior Civil Engineer on the Bridge:

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted

^^^ Lol, love the high tech methodology in use above.

Anyway, hit a low of 0.8C overnight, but probably early on as it was over 5C when I left the house this morning. Very grey and quite breezy but managing to stay dry.

Models are a bit of a car crash if you're looking for anything substantially cold, but as usual we'll probably fair better than those to the south.