Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

As bad as the weather has been the rain today in Glasgow hasn't been too heavy.. Yes it has been persistent but it's the time the rainband has taken too cross over here which has been the main problem not how heavy the rain has been (although I guess other places seen it worse with some heavy pulses).. 

I remember a warm front during the summer of 2007 brought as a similar spell of weather over an entire weekend but without the wind we've getting this weekend.. Really is horrible today but you wonder if any dry weather will follow with a forecast of showers it does not really improve.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Upper Tay at its highest level since 2006. Barriers up in Perth.

Here bridge closed due to high winds. Must have exceeded 80mph earlier.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine

rain has been non stop since last night! roads are crazy flooded! does anyone know and maybe the folk from west lothian know has the almond bust it banks somewhere the burn outside me is proper overflooding! :sorry:

Posted

Did anywhere in Scotland have dry day?? I'm talking Aberdeenshire, parts of Tayside and Fife.. Sometimes this happens and I think I mentioned before on this thread travelling from Glasgow to St Andrews and it rained all the way to Darsie where it suddenly became dry and hadn't rained the entire rain.. Only 3 SPFL games went ahead today can't remember a game at Celtic Park been called off due to weather.. I recall late 90s part of the roof was loose that was last time.

John Barnes was manager and Inverness were on there way and came was called off..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine
4 minutes ago, Sunshineandshowers84 said:

Did anywhere in Scotland have dry day?? I'm talking Aberdeenshire, parts of Tayside and Fife.. Sometimes this happens and I think I mentioned before on this thread travelling from Glasgow to St Andrews and it rained all the way to Darsie where it suddenly became dry and hadn't rained the entire rain.. Only 3 SPFL games went ahead today can't remember a game at Celtic Park been called off due to weather.. I recall late 90s part of the roof was loose that was last time.

John Barnes was manager and Inverness were on there way and came was called off..

yeah your right i know that was the last time a game got postponed but that was due to high winds, i never knew a game at parkhead to be called off due to sheer amount of rain. its unheard especially with the drainage and sheer class of the stadium. going through a other squall wind is battering the window and rain is sideways!  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
15 minutes ago, Sunshineandshowers84 said:

Did anywhere in Scotland have dry day?? I'm talking Aberdeenshire, parts of Tayside and Fife..

Here in Aberdeenshire, not quite completely dry. Just looked at my weather station and it says 0.2mm today, after 6.2mm yesterday. Then again I just noticed the time on it was several hours out, despite the fact it should set itself automatically. I can't therefore be sure of the exact figures but there hasn't been much at all even though I did notice it raining a bit when I let the dog out earlier this evening. 

Posted

It is unusual to see a game called off at a big ground aswell.. This is something we see most winters at smaller and exposed grounds.. Even on really wet times I've seen sprinklers on at some grounds which shows how good the drainage is.. It appears that the wind has died down.. Showery day for Sunday so still no dry weather to look forward to..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Very much the calm after the storm today.

Lovely morning. Blue skies, hardly a breath of wind and 6 C.

Think my weather station RH is screwed. Was reading 10% when it was peeing with rain and now 38%. Christmas present to self sorted.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Lovely day.... Feels considerably warmer without the wind. 

Odd, considering 14c was recorded yesterday and today is 6.4c currently. 

Many videos on social media of extensive flooding this morning...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Very much the calm after the storm today.

Lovely morning. Blue skies, hardly a breath of wind and 6 C.

Think my weather station RH is screwed. Was reading 10% when it was peeing with rain and now 38%. Christmas present to self sorted.

How long did that one last?  I'm saving up for a Davis jobby, but I'll probably still be saving when we're all building arks.  Oh... some folk already are!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
4 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

How long did that one last?  I'm saving up for a Davis jobby, but I'll probably still be saving when we're all building arks.  Oh... some folk already are!

Och mine is just one of those £30 things that gives T and RH inside and out. Enough for me. I suppose I could get a rain gauge but wind measurements would be pointless as I'm surrounded by trees.

I've had it maybe 7 years and it worked well enough; when T/DP said it should be snaw, it was...

It's had some battery leakage probs as well, so now that the outdoor sensors seems to be giving rubbish for RH, I'll just get new one of the same type.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
36 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Och mine is just one of those £30 things that gives T and RH inside and out. Enough for me. I suppose I could get a rain gauge but wind measurements would be pointless as I'm surrounded by trees.

I've had it maybe 7 years and it worked well enough; when T/DP said it should be snaw, it was...

It's had some battery leakage probs as well, so now that the outdoor sensors seems to be giving rubbish for RH, I'll just get new one of the same type.

Fairy snuff... Positioning of anemometers on pretty well all weather stations is useless - latest I saw was one about a foot from the ground, right next to someone's back door.  Rain gauges are fun though :laugh:...

Posted

Would have gutted if we hadnt had a rain gauge yesterday lads!

Unsurprisingly,the Devon has burst its banks pretty badly. Considering that the record height at Menstrie is 4.2 and that we managed to get to 4 last night, Tilly is not far from being flooded from what I have seen today to be honest. I hope we do not get as much rain in a good while. However it is ridiculous, we almost have 100mm recorded rain in the first week of the month. 

Might post a few pics tomorrow. 

T. 6.2º

R. 8.4mm

Have a pleasant Sunday!

Posted

After a day of blue skies in Stirling, it's now clouding over with some spots of rain and a baltic wind.

Interesting to see yellow rain warnings for most of us through the early part of the week - but to be honest, after yesterday, it's a respite - I don't actually remember a time I've been as concerned about the weather as I was yesterday.

Posted

Received our fair share of rain since Friday but not as bad as many less fortunate it seems

Had some heavy snow showers this afternoon brought in on a biting wind, these showers have turned to a sleety mess in the last wee while as the temperture has gone up slightly. Currently 2.4C

Was speaking with my father earlier. Apparently 54 years ago today there was major snow in this area when my great grandfather passed due to a stroke. Sadly there would have been little any doctor could have done to save him but my great grandmother had to dig to find the telephone box to make the call. Mobile phones may be a pain in the erse these days, hypnotising people away from social interaction but it's easy to forget what it was like before them and just how remote and cut off places must have felt during severe weather 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

PG Junior this morning (puzzled face): "Daddy, why is there sunshine?"

In the end, 104.1mm of rain fell here in 36 hours (the monthly average for Strathallan is 92.9mm). We got off lightly though compared to many others. 

A couple of snaps attached of the Earn at 2.30pm yesterday. 

I've now released the dove to look for dry land...

IMG_20151205_140808.jpg

IMG_20151205_140830.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Best day for long time here.. Was sunny and dry all day however a few heavy showers spread in over Argyll and to the Glasgow area this afternoon but managed to to die out just before reaching here.. Sadly it's not a day without rain as it was raining in the early hours..

Posted

Been pelting down this morning. Thought the rain was supposed to be light?

1 hour ago, NUT said:

Been pelting down this morning. Thought the rain was supposed to be light?

I think everything is relative. The rain this week will be light in comparison to the weekend's deluge, however it will still be enough to cause localised flooding and I think a lot of places will see flooded roads but not major widespread river flooding.

Posted

Dull with average temps at 7.9º. Rain measurement is 7.4mm.

There are two small snow patches on the King's Seat. Can't believe they have survived all this rain and mush although to be fair we have had cold spells of weather in between the rain. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Exceptionally mild up here, max temp so far is 13.8c. A bit breezy too, and surprise!!! Rain!!!

And we have have finally got the central heating working! Yes, I know I've said this before and the it went belly up again, but we've had heat through the rest of the house for two whole days! We've replaced a valve, thermostat, time clock and finally the pump and serviced the boiler by giving it a damned good clean! Sorted! Happy girl!!

Posted

First winter here in the Highlands, no issues with the weather it's about as expected - albeit not that cold yet, but the big surprise is the darkness. I knew the days would be shorter, but it's still a shock to the system to still be pretty much in the dark at 830 in the morning, and by 4pm in the afternoon!

• Like 5