Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Chat - 20/11/2015 Onward.

Methuselah

Posted

You'll smash that record sadly BFTV, the output for Tues/Wed is particularly bad! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Whoa, crazy squall just went through. Probably the heaviest shower I've seen around here. Was like a tropical storm, crazy rainfall.

Posted

Interesting chart posted on model thread showing ecm snow accumulation. Way out in FI so unlikely to verify but nice to look at

What's our view on this Thursday night? Could be snow for us in the north. Touch and go though.

ecms5.png.2e3376e911fffa586c355d2d6b9363e7.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Just looking at the radar, cripes!  How much rain for NI?  Are there flooding issues or do you have sensible/ better/natural/more effective flood coping systems?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Plenty of surface water around here but nothing particularly bad. I'm expecting a lot worse come Wednesday morning though.

Posted

Squall line has just hit here, I now see why some roads are flooded, serious rain!! 

Storm Frank has taken a more north westerly route towards Iceland since a few days ago but could still be some interesting weather here!! 

I see on Facebook some sites calling it "storm of the century" :nonono: .....we shall see

Posted

I hope I don't offend anybody but I really cannot watch Bara Best doing the weather on newsline! What was the point of that forecast! Hardly a mention of storm Frank and what the outcome was likely to be! Basically quite windy and the odd puddle is what it came accross as! Ridiculous 

• Like 1

Posted

Really quite worrying the amount of rain that has fallen tonight. Lots of standing water and flooded roads. Tomorrow rivers will be swollen with tonights rain then storm Frank is due to hit. Take care everyone especially those who live in low lying areas  

• Like 1

Posted

He started off by saying " just a little rain outside which will soon end"! I mean did he look outside this evening! It was awful ! And the news covered floods in areas of the province! I mean I despair! 

• Like 1

Posted

As of yesterday, the December rainfall record has been broken by Cork Airport, currently at 326.9mm for the month, beating the old record of 319.5mm. Both Knock Airport and Claremorris are over 300mm now also, so they will probably beat the December record too.

Met Eireann are going for 40-70mm of rain over the next day, so while the most rain for any month will likely get broken, it seems that the 400mm mark might even be under threat.

Posted

Met office revised weather warning brings strong winds back inland over N Ireland for this afternoon. This had been rescinded yesterday.

Screenshot_2015-12-29-09-04-57.png

Posted

An "interesting" day ahead if you like wind and rain, personally I don't, very conflicting information on the Model Thread, although some interesting analysis of what may/can/will/won't happen post 144hrs.  Anyway folk's stay safe and hope all your home's stay dry. 

Posted
45 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

As of yesterday, the December rainfall record has been broken by Cork Airport, currently at 326.9mm for the month, beating the old record of 319.5mm. Both Knock Airport and Claremorris are over 300mm now also, so they will probably beat the December record too.

Met Eireann are going for 40-70mm of rain over the next day, so while the most rain for any month will likely get broken, it seems that the 400mm mark might even be under threat.

Amazing rainfall, possible it will have an effect on buildings with heaving and ground movement. Can't see the details on the mean temp, is that under threat BFTV?

Posted
38 minutes ago, Downburst said:

Amazing rainfall, possible it will have an effect on buildings with heaving and ground movement. Can't see the details on the mean temp, is that under threat BFTV?

I'm not sure about the monthly records, but the last very mild December we had was 2007. On the ME report for that month (here) they said it was the mildest December for 13-19 years in Munster and Connacht. The average for Moorepark near Fermoy that December was 8.0C, the average so far this month 9.2C. Similarly, Shannon was 8.1C that December but is currently at 9.4C.
I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear of temperature records getting broken too!

EDIT: 1988 seems to have been the last December to set widespread temperature records, Here's the report for that month, where we can compare of the the means http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-1988-Dec.pdf

Edited by BornFromTheVoid

Posted

Amber raining warning now for NI, going to be a wet and windy evening.

Some amount of grit and debris washed into roads this morning from last nights rain, slot of fields flooded to, tomorrow will be worse no doubt.

Posted

Looks like it's going to be hairy this evening.

Looking ahead, I think we could see some joy on Thursday evening/night. Check out the 6z GFS which has -4 uppers covering vast majority of Ireland and a heavy enough ppn which could fall as snow.

gfs-1-60.png

gfs-2-60.png

Posted

Hope you are right Sperrin although I don't see any mention in the Meto forecast, fingers crossed.  The roads around Carrickmore and Pomeroy where a disgrace with the rain last night 

2 minutes ago, Sperrin said:

Looks like it's going to be hairy this evening.

Looking ahead, I think we could see some joy on Thursday evening/night. Check out the 6z GFS which has -4 uppers covering vast majority of Ireland and a heavy enough ppn which could fall as snow.

gfs-1-60.png

gfs-2-60.png