Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Chat - 20/11/2015 Onward.

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy
4 hours ago, jamesd said:

prectypeuktopo.thumb.png.c0a362ccd35bd1b566c9b7d96833_prectypeuktopo(1).thumb.pn

:yahoo:

No good for me which seems to be the trend so far lol.

Posted

Looks like a good hard frost outside tonight but I haven't been out to check yet misty on and off too it's getting quite thick at the moment. 

Edited by gary1365

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

The next band of ppn was due to be reaching me at midday according to BBC forecast. However, it's moving up much quicker, see radar below at 7.45am. What's the chances of this falling as snow as it is still well below freezing outside?

Screenshot_2015-12-13-08-12-51.png

Posted

Very hard grist this morning all 4 doors and boot were frozen shut on the car when I was leaving work I had to climb in from the back and force the front doors open from the inside lol. I also passed 4 cars in various ditches the roads are awful. The weather station is reporting -2.6. 

Hopefully Sperrin anything falling as snow would have to lie could be an interesting morning I just wish I didn't have to go to sleep and could watch the weather lol. 

Posted

Precipitation approaching showing as rain on radar at the minute!! Don't know if the air will be cold enough to produce snow and then it's to get slightly warmer as rain start to clear NW by the looks of it.

seems cold enough at the minute to produce some snow to higher levels

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

I jumped the gun too soon, looks like BBC were correct, that band of ppn slowed dramatically once it hit the border with Ulster! Only moved about 40 miles in 3 hours. Will be touch and go if it falls as snow, temps have risen a good bit in last two hours.

Posted

If it gets to 8, we will have a good shot of HLB taking hold to our north. Whether that effects us enough to get snow and cold is not certain, but it greatly increases the chances.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

A lot of conflicting signals wrt the MJO. But if we get some high amplitude phases it could mix things up a little. 

Unfortunately, I don't see things getting to phase 8 before January, but a strong phase 4 might produce something a bit different at least. 

DecENMJOphase4gt1500mb.gif

However, a strong phase 5 looks more likely at the moment.

DecENMJOphase5gt1500mb.gif

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Pomeroysnow said:

Thanks lads great to have some knowledgeable posters on our forums, so the higher the phase the better?? 

The stronger the phase, the more likely it is to influence our weather. But not each phase will have a different effect, and each month the effect of each phase will differ too.

This page will let you look at the MJO phases that coincide with El Ninos http://www.americanwx.com/raleighwx/MJO/MJO.html

• Like 1

Posted

The big if with the MJO is whether it can get amplified enough during a strong El Nino.  We are also looking at projections 3 weeks and more away so plenty can change.

Anyone know the warmest temperature ever recorded on the island for 19th December? It could be beaten this weekend.

Posted
2 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

The big if with the MJO is whether it can get amplified enough during a strong El Nino.  We are also looking at projections 3 weeks and more away so plenty can change.

Anyone know the warmest temperature ever recorded on the island for 19th December? It could be beaten this weekend.

I'm not sure about individual dates, but this link gives the monthly record highs for several Met Eireann stations

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Guesstimate, 17 degrees

Edited by Weegaz

Posted

Mild as fook this morning,  Robins and wrens singing away, oh I love spring, hang on a minute did I just sleep through winter!!!!  Joking aside there is a perverse fascination with this "mildness " for me and it's effects on nature.  I seriously hope we don't pay the price for this come spring, everything in it's proper season please!! 

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

13.6c here atm the highest temp ive recorded so far this month ,but at this time of night its freakish.

Posted

Crazily mild here this morning. Some guys sitting with nothing but shirts on the bus.

Possibilities of 17 degrees on Saturday surely would have to be close to a date record for the 19th December. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

over night low here is i suppose is the currrent temp of 12.5c,mad stuff.

Edited by sundog