Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Chat - 20/11/2015 Onward.

Methuselah

Posted
13 minutes ago, Aliaalu said:

Yes, My best friend had her first baby in February 2009.  I remember waiting for news as I knew she was in labour and my own kids were off school due to snow.

this was 5th Feb 2009....

image.jpeg

pretty deep 

Posted
3 minutes ago, geoffw said:

pretty deep 

Maybe a few inches max looking at the pictures, kids managed to make snowballs and snowman.... But I live in East Belfast, close to the coast, so that was a good amount for our location, my parents in Lisburn always get double.  If schools were closed it must have been significant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Cold drizzle here since noon, max temp currently 4.7C.

Given the rain and low cloud, I won't be heading up the Galtees today.
I did get some practice in with the drone this morning though for about half an hour. Was pretty foggy so didn't send it too high or far away, but here's the first video nonetheless! Can't see too much for the first 25s or so as I was just taking it up high and the fog obscured any potential views.

It's a little loud too...

• Like 8

Posted

Cold drizzle all day here too!

that looks fantastic BFTV... I'm very tempted now!!!

Edited by Rocheydub

Posted
51 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

Cold drizzle all day here too!

that looks fantastic BFTV... I'm very tempted now!!!

Definitely worth the price. Hopefully I can take it out in better conditions at some point, could get some nice snowy views from the Galtees, or shots of the Rock of Cashel!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

I must admit I'm very tempted to buy one of those drones myself what was the model number again born thanks. 

Posted

So tonight is the last night of this "cold spell"

Today was 6.5 degrees for about 5 hours. Last night was the coldest night of the year with -2.1 the lowest it went. I had a sleety rain shower with a few snow flakes thrown in for about 35 minutes in total on Thursday night. Friday's high was 3.2 degrees. So I had a 24 hour period of some cold temperatures, and about 72 hours of cool weather. Returning to closer to normal temperatures from Monday on.

What an absolute let down this has been. I've cleared my diary for tomorrow, and I'm going up to WIcklow mountains to see can I get my white fix. I am very disappointed. I was sure I'd get some snow settling on this event before it started, and it would have been the first since 2010.

Very p****d off indeed!

• Like 4

Posted

It's been miserable in Belfast today, very cold (max 3.2 in daylight, now 4.5) grey and dull and the rain has drizzled on and off all day, ran a local parkrun this morning and the combination of ice with fresh rain was lethal. If it's to be grey and wet it might as well be mild (believe me I'm not a mild person). Last night was awesome.... Hard frost, Ice +++. Today is a sad comeback to reality   

Fingers crossed for rest of winter. This weather watching is such an emotional rollercoaster.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

So tonight is the last night of this "cold spell"

Today was 6.5 degrees for about 5 hours. Last night was the coldest night of the year with -2.1 the lowest it went. I had a sleety rain shower with a few snow flakes thrown in for about 35 minutes in total on Thursday night. Friday's high was 3.2 degrees. So I had a 24 hour period of some cold temperatures, and about 72 hours of cool weather. Returning to closer to normal temperatures from Monday on.

What an absolute let down this has been. I've cleared my diary for tomorrow, and I'm going up to WIcklow mountains to see can I get my white fix. I am very disappointed. I was sure I'd get some snow settling on this event before it started, and it would have been the first since 2010.

Very p****d off indeed!

Jez Rochey I would love to see you guys get some decent snow, it would be a pleasure to see you post some. I feel guilty hogging it up here.  Swap you some for this year's All-Ireland....

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Pomeroysnow said:

Jez Rochey I would love to see you guys get some decent snow, it would be a pleasure to see you post some. I feel guilty hogging it up here.  Swap you some for this year's All-Ireland....

I suppose we can't have everything... And no, I wouldn't swap any of them for the world! :-) You have put a smile on my face, so thanks Pom!!! I guess I just immersed myself in the models and had myself convinced we'd see some! Ah well, as my dad used to say "man proposes, God disposes"! The weather will do what it likes! Cheers Pom.

• Like 2

Posted

:-) Classic autocorrect and profanity filter!!!

Goodnight, And a wee prayer for a magical flip to cold on the NWP in the morning!!!

Posted

Well, got my fix on the Sally Gap in Wicklow today. It was a pitiful few pockets of slushy collections, but we got out with the dog, built a snowman and had a snowball fight for a couple of hours. A great day out. Pity I had to drive 60 miles in total to do it, but I was getting very tetchy looking at the pictures from across the water thinking of what might have been! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
On 15 January 2016 at 4:24 PM, mountain shadow said:

It will be a frustrating week next week as we get mild temperatures whilst parts of Britain get frontal snowfall. 

Another 200 miles further West would have been great.

It has already started. Complete waste of time this snap In Donaghadee. Sleet was the best I could do and no frost. I would love to know the full synoptic picture for the now infamous Dec 2010. We had 7 - 8 inches of snow right here on the coast for at least a fortnight and streamers off the sea. Was amazing. And that from a northerly / N easterly. Added to that the exceptionally low temperatures even by day. 

Unless February produces the goods by which time the sun will be bit higher in sky and slightly longer days, then this will be another winter right off. Hope it's not but..............?

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, johnny1972 said:

It has already started. Complete waste of time this snap In Donaghadee. Sleet was the best I could do and no frost. I would love to know the full synoptic picture for the now infamous Dec 2010. We had 7 - 8 inches of snow right here on the coast for at least a fortnight and streamers off the sea. Was amazing. And that from a northerly / N easterly. Added to that the exceptionally low temperatures even by day. 

Unless February produces the goods by which time the sun will be bit higher in sky and slightly longer days, then this will be another winter right off. Hope it's not but..............?

We have to put our faith in GPs torpedo from month end.  This results in heights over Greenland and the PV over Scandinavia.  Hints of this in a few Met office tweets.

• Like 2

Posted
On 1/16/2016 at 7:03 PM, gary1365 said:

I must admit I'm very tempted to buy one of those drones myself what was the model number again born thanks. 

Syma X5C-1.

The original X5C had some problems (back a year ago), which were largely eliminated in the X5C-1. Though I think all new X5C models are now are identical to the X5C-1.

Anywho, 6.2C and raining here this morning.

Posted

Perhaps some kind knowledgable person  can point me in right direction, I'm trying to learn....  From an Northern Irish point of view what would be the perfect weather chart for winter fun and games? In my head we do well with Northerlies as the easterlies rarely seem to make it here, and if they do they've Run out of steam. I see lots of posters in the model thread praying for an easterly...  But assume they are mostly southern/eastern UK people who would get the benefit from them.

what happened in 2009 and 2010 to make it such an epic winter?

thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, i'd hardly call myself an 'expert' when it comes to NI's weather, Aliaalu, but I would think that either a straight Northerly or an Easterly/Northeasterly would be best for you - as both would have cold air travelling over warm seas...Only a guess!:D

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Well, i'd hardly call myself an 'expert' when it comes to NI's weather, Aliaalu, but I would think that either a straight Northerly or an Easterly/Northeasterly would be best for you - as both would have cold air travelling over warm seas...Only a guess!:D

You are of course spot on. 

Aliaalu, in those winters, we had high latitude high pressure cells above our country, one located over Greenland, and it moved to Scandinavia and back again, and it pushed much colder air down over Ireland. When low pressure systems came along, it dumped large amounts of snow on us... And the really cold air coming over us, dragged up moisture off the sea, and dropped it down on us in white glory (streamers)

Ah, those were the days!

• Like 4

Posted

A proper Northerly for me. In December 2010 the second part of the cold spell came from a proper Northerly. High Pressure over Greenland. Counties in NI had a red snow warning, the Greenland express as I heard it called. Min temperature records broken as we all know

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy
19 hours ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Syma X5C-1.

The original X5C had some problems (back a year ago), which were largely eliminated in the X5C-1. Though I think all new X5C models are now are identical to the X5C-1.

Anywho, 6.2C and raining here this morning.

Thanks born I have one ordered  £36 it's hard to say no at that price. 

Posted

I'm beginning to lose faith in a end Jan/ cold Feb Cold spell. I hate to admit this but I think we are heading for another bust of winter without proper snow!!