Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted

Lots of doom and gloom about in the Model Disscusion Thread but I never give up on Winter my best ever snow fall of my generation came in March 2013 up here in Leeds so it's not over yet by a long shot 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
6 minutes ago, Love Snow said:

Lots of doom and gloom about in the Model Disscusion Thread but I never give up on Winter my best ever snow fall of my generation came in March 2013 up here in Leeds so it's not over yet by a long shot 

I am trying to stay positive as well we had about 9 inches in Northants in March 2013. Can only remember Feb 2009 being better was probably over a foot then. I can't really remember 1987 1991 snow wise to be honest.

Edited by pegg24

Posted
3 minutes ago, pegg24 said:

I am trying to stay positive as well we had about 9 inches in Northants in March 2013. Can only remember Feb 2009 being better was probably over a foot then. I can't really remember 1987 1991 snow wise to be honest.

Yeah was too young to remember the 87 and 91! Think 2013 was better than 2009 here in Leed. Its annoying that it doesn't get talked about much because it wasn't a southern Event the 2013 storm.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: deep snow/warm sunshine
On 20 January 2016 at 5:41 PM, Weather-history said:

3 years out of......23 years. That's all I went back to, I didn't even bother to look beyond this and you could argue, you could add 2006 into the equation. They are recent examples. That's all I have done. 

87 and 91 had more breeze which is what's been lacking in recent times! I want to walk on top of 6 foot snow drifts one more time before global warming scuppers everything!   Don't know where that quote came from? Was meant to quote above post

Edited by snow mad
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather events and always love snow
  1. if you want to check out whats happening in washington dc live http://www.fox5dc.com/live

Posted
28 minutes ago, snow mad said:

87 and 91 had more breeze which is what's been lacking in recent times! I want to walk on top of 6 foot snow drifts one more time before global warming scuppers everything! 

Yes thats whats lacking even up here now  is a good old fashioned blizzard. Back in the sixties and seventies we used to average at least one snow day a winter off school through blowing snow . For example February the 8th 1969 gale force northerly wind with heavy snow from 8.00am to about 2.00pm at -5c . Awesome!!

Got to secondary school  on school bus through driving snow at 8.30am only to be turned round and sent home as  drifts  piled up .The walk up the farm road(half a mile long and very exposed to the north) was the only occasion  in my life my eyebrows  had icicles in the driving snow. When I think about it now the windchill would have been extreme but at the time it was just exciting.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: deep snow/warm sunshine
7 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Yes thats whats lacking even up here now  is a good old fashioned blizzard. Back in the sixties and seventies we used to average at least one snow day a winter off school through blowing snow . For example February the 8th 1969 gale force northerly wind with heavy snow from 8.00am to about 2.00pm at -5c . Awesome!!

Got to secondary school  on school bus through driving snow at 8.30am only to be turned round and sent home as  drifts  piled up .The walk up the farm road(half a mile long and very exposed to the north) was the only occasion  in my life my eyebrows  had icicles in the driving snow. When I think about it now the windchill would have been extreme but at the time it was just exciting.

In 87 I was 8 and We lived in a village that was 10 miles to the nearest town and we were cut off for a week! I remember most of our family and extended family out for a walk on top of the snow drifts level with six foot high hedge rows! I want my children to experience it as they don't believe me that it can happen but it sure did in the 80s here. 91 was not quite as extreme but we have a similar experience with secondary school in that we battled  through the snow only to be sent home an hour later! Really need a blizzard sometime soon as I'll be to old to enjoy it at this rate.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
1 hour ago, knocker said:

Says it all really

gfs_uv200_atl_28.thumb.png.9c31a9e66fa51

Cheeses me off that America is yet again getting loads of snow and sending their crappy jet stream with wind and rain to us 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 hours ago, Derbyshire Snow said:

Latest image from my satellite system of The North Atlantic and the snowstorm in the US  downloaded 10.15pm

Snowstormscan.jpg

I keep seeing you refer to it as 'my' satellite- do you have your own satellite orbiting Earth?

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I keep seeing you refer to it as 'my' satellite- do you have your own satellite orbiting Earth?

There is a way you can get satellite images straight from the NOAA satellite via an SDR dongle and some software have never done it but it's possible. I think you can even get balloon data also but I have never tried like I said but read about it and sounds pretty cool. Don't know if it's illegal in some way also.. lol

What would be pretty cool is having your own satellite in orbit though! I want one! :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, Zephyr said:

There is a way you can get satellite images straight from the NOAA satellite via an SDR dongle and some software have never done it but it's possible. I think you can even get balloon data also but I have never tried like I said but read about it and sounds pretty cool. Don't know if it's illegal in some way also.. lol

What would be pretty cool is having your own satellite in orbit though! I want one! :D

Ah - I see! Still, it does sound like the poster has their own, doesn't it? lol

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Zephyr said:

You can get a massive amount of data and do your own charts using programmes such as Digital Atmosphere.

http://www.weathergraphics.com/da/

Posted
38 minutes ago, knocker said:

You can get a massive amount of data and do your own charts using programmes such as Digital Atmosphere.

http://www.weathergraphics.com/da/

Thanks for that it's something I have been looking for these past few weeks and just the program!

Posted
4 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Thanks for that it's something I have been looking for these past few weeks and just the program!

I used it a fair bit for some years and it's very good. I lost the programme when my computer crashed but I might look at it again. You can have lots of fun with it and Tim Vasquez is a canny chap.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
7 hours ago, snowfish1 said:

Cheeses me off that America is yet again getting loads of snow and sending their crappy jet stream with wind and rain to us 

the frustrating irony is that millions in the eastern U.S.  are wishing it was the other way round though with us getting the snow and them the rain:)

shame that scenario never seems to happen although without altering the rotation of the earth it is unlikely and we are just getting wall to wall coverage of, as Jim Bowen used to say, here's what you could have won.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

looking windy.... noaa's have tightly squeezed isobars..

Posted
11 hours ago, stewfox said:

With all this heavy snow forecast in the reliable time frame across large parts of Eastern USA you can see the ECM,GFS has us too far west, sums this winter up:sorry:

Supporting chart attached.

uk_usa_central_extract.png

Its funny but if we had a set-up that produced such a snowstorm in this country, it would never hit the bulk of the country. The size of the UK is almost the size of the area that are going to get hit in the States.

The Blizzard of Jan 1881 only affected the southern half of the UK. We just can't get a snow event that affects the whole of the U.K. A northerly with a vigorous active trough or a highly unstable easterly with troughs but someone would probably miss out even in this set-up.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
9 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Its funny but if we had a set-up that produced such a snowstorm in this country, it would never hit the bulk of the country. The size of the UK is almost the size of the area that are going to get hit in the States.

The Blizzard of Jan 1881 only affected the southern half of the UK. We just can't get a snow event that affects the whole of the U.K. A northerly with a vigorous active trough or a highly unstable easterly with troughs but someone would probably miss out even in this set-up.

I was thinking that myself.

the U.S. has declared a state of emergency in half a dozen states.

over here we'd be lucky to see a yellow warning covering six counties and even then the amounts would be tiny compared to what is expected over there.

oh and this is from a system that has travelled up from Texas, a warm source and over thousands of miles of land.

over here it can't even cross the Pennines without losing intensity.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Not much more than a covering in nearly 3 years for my area now! This is the same area that saw at least 1 significant (10cms+) fall of snow every year between 1978-87. How times have changed. Back then temps > 10c were generally the exception.

Today we are looking at temps of 13c, crazily mild for mid Jan, the sort of temps you expect on a good day at the very end of Feb usually at the earliest. This winter 13c is more like the average!

I do hope we see a decent fall again at some point in the future, but this year is starting to look like another almost snowless winter for me. I know peeps speak of March snowfall and refer to March 13, but that was truly exceptional and I doubt will see a repeat anytime soon. Snow that falls in March tends to settle at night only down south and melts pretty quick given sunshine.

Feeling gloomy like the weather outside today I'm afraid, not helped by the US snowstorm!

Posted

fergies update on the model thread reads as though we will not see anything colder until mid feb at least, please someone tell me I am wrong. All we have had down here on the tip of east kent this miserable winter is three frosts

Posted
56 minutes ago, PLANET THANET said:

fergies update on the model thread reads as though we will not see anything colder until mid feb at least, please someone tell me I am wrong. All we have had down here on the tip of east kent this miserable winter is three frosts

Unfortunately, you are not wrong!

Outlook for UK is looking very grim in terms of cold & snow!

It looks like being yet another winter where nothing spectacular (in terms of severe cold) is going to happen. :angry: 

Please can we pave over the Atlantic?

Edited by snowblizzard
  • Like 1