Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Got that horrid feeling we will end up with another cold spring, which just tends to mean suppressed temps and rain, or cold, dry and grey down here. Bleh. I'd rather just get this winter over with and get back into thunderstorm hunting.

Wet, mucky and mild sums up winter 15/16 so far.

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 1

Posted

You can't compare east/north east states with UK, weather wise. Read up on the climatology of both places and be realistic.

Our winter climate is mild. I remember reading a book round about 1970's re UK winters which stated lowland snow an infrequent visitor and it was rare to hang about for more than a couple of days. Yes, very occasionally we get a 2009 spell but that is very much the exception.

We've had a couple of snowfalls here so far this winter with plenty of Sept/Oct frosts and a cold week and a bit just finished. November and December mild though. Double figure temperatures in any winter month is not crazy or rare! 

As the world allegedly gets warmer I just wish that some of that warmth would transfer to my little part of the world so that I would notice! Summers here seem to be getting cooler, single figure max temps now occur in both May and June and very close to in July. Ironically a number of November/December and now tomorrows temperatures will be several degrees higher than several days in May and June which is bizarre. Don't know if thats always been the case here though.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Warnings out for Tuesday/Wednesday from the bad news channel (Met Office). Warnings could quite easily be a cut and paste job from December.

50-100mm of rain possible widely across warning area with upward of 200mm across more exposed upland areas.

No more needs saying..... 

Posted

The ecm anomalies this morning continue the zonal unsettled theme for the next ten days and further afield out to the end of the first week in Feb. little change.

On the other hand I was down to see Sidney this morning and he made haste to bury his nuts so a colder spell mid month looks nailed on.

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.9022367

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, knocker said:

The ecm anomalies this morning continue the zonal unsettled theme for the next ten days and further afield out to the end of the first week in Feb. little change.

On the other hand I was down to see Sidney this morning and he made haste bury his nuts so a colder spell mid month looks nailed on.

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.9022367

good job sydney is burying his nuts before the cold weather strikes because if he is anything like me, I cant find mine in the cold weather:rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

My brother and his family moved to New Jersey early last year, he just sent me a pic of their back garden. Expecting 20" at least with a state of emergency declared....

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD
10 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

My brother and his family moved to New Jersey early last year, he just sent me a pic of their back garden. Expecting 20" at least with a state of emergency declared....

image.jpeg

We (coldies) need to be careful what we wish for !!!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, Airedalejoe said:

You can't compare east/north east states with UK, weather wise. Read up on the climatology of both places and be realistic.

Our winter climate is mild. I remember reading a book round about 1970's re UK winters which stated lowland snow an infrequent visitor and it was rare to hang about for more than a couple of days. Yes, very occasionally we get a 2009 spell but that is very much the exception.

We've had a couple of snowfalls here so far this winter with plenty of Sept/Oct frosts and a cold week and a bit just finished. November and December mild though. Double figure temperatures in any winter month is not crazy or rare!

As the world allegedly gets warmer I just wish that some of that warmth would transfer to my little part of the world so that I would notice! Summers here seem to be getting cooler, single figure max temps now occur in both May and June and very close to in July. Ironically a number of November/December and now tomorrows temperatures will be several degrees higher than several days in May and June which is bizarre. Don't know if thats always been the case here though.

I've got numerous books on statistics on average snowfall and snowfall lying on the ground at 9am etc...on average I think you'll find the average days with snow lying on the ground say in Eastern or South Eastern areas averages (mean) around 4/5 days per winter (this was up to around the late 90's). So far the last 3 winters I've experienced only a dusting of snow last winter at 9am and it was gone an hour later. So the last 3 winters have been very poor! (but then again we do seem to go through sequences of poor winters, maybe solar influenced?).

I for one will keep a close eye in a few winters time when we head towards solar minima.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, snowblizzard said:

Unfortunately, you are not wrong!

Outlook for UK is looking very grim in terms of cold & snow!

It looks like being yet another winter where nothing spectacular (in terms of severe cold) is going to happen. :angry: 

Please can we pave over the Atlantic?

But anything 'spectacular' regarding snow and cold in the UK is very much the exception, not the rule? Every winter it's the same, I know it's exciting for most people on here but sadly it's quite rare for us to get blizzards, deep cold, etc. Normal UK winters are often zonal with a fair amount of rain and wind. Always been the case! We're a lot more likely to get summer warmth (or were before 2007) than snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

I'm going to be retiring sometime in the next decade and have been looking at how I could downsize and also buy a property in Iceland, lots of great prices and such a beautiful country in either summer or winter. That's how bad the British weather gets to me! It's enough to depress anyone (and I really don't like hot weather, so being able to get out of the month or so when we do get it would be nice).

What is most annoying at  the moment though is the US storm, a country where you are more likely to get people who claim the earth is not warming and they still get given the chance to say 'yes but it can't be because look at the worst winter storm in 100 years' etc. etc. Maybe it'll take another dustbowl level event to change them. 

Edited by ukpaul
  • Like 2

Posted
40 minutes ago, ukpaul said:

I'm going to be retiring sometime in the next decade and have been looking at how I could downsize and also buy a property in Iceland, lots of great prices and such a beautiful country in either summer or winter. That's how bad the British weather gets to me! It's enough to depress anyone (and I really don't like hot weather, so being able to get out of the month or so when we do get it would be nice).

What is most annoying at  the moment though is the US storm, a country where you are more likely to get people who claim the earth is not warming and they still get given the chance to say 'yes but it can't be because look at the worst winter storm in 100 years' etc. etc. Maybe it'll take another dustbowl level event to change them. 

I am considering Iceland too! Never seen anything more beautiful and even in June the mountains have plenty of snow on them.

The problem is, I still have to wait some time for my retirement.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, ukpaul said:

So true,maybe joining you in Iceland,the uk weather is beyond belief this winter again,we don't seem to get seasons any longer just total misery of mild filth.

Posted

What are you talking about when you say we no longer get seasons and only mild filth? As far as I'm aware the UK hasn't changed climate zone. Temperate maritime = mild with 4 seasons and low extremes. This has been the case for the entire lives of everyone in this forum. Unless you have been living winter through a PC monitor watching US traffic webcams then how can you say otherwise? It can't be THAT bad up north can it? I was lucky enough to have most of the summer off and I went walking 2-3 hours every day and it was lovely 90% of the time. Wore shorts and T-shirts apart from a couple of rainy walks, had a few hot days, rarely below 19C. Never cold, only overheated a couple of times. I cannot do that in Jan, but we have no seasons right? :rofl:

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, March said:

What are you talking about when you say we no longer get seasons and only mild filth? As far as I'm aware the UK hasn't changed climate zone. Temperate maritime = mild with 4 seasons and low extremes. This has been the case for the entire lives of everyone in this forum. Unless you have been living winter through a PC monitor watching US traffic webcams then how can you say otherwise? It can't be THAT bad up north can it? I was lucky enough to have most of the summer off and I went walking 2-3 hours every day and it was lovely 90% of the time. Wore shorts and T-shirts apart from a couple of rainy walks, had a few hot days, rarely below 19C. Never cold, only overheated a couple of times. I cannot do that in Jan, but we have no seasons right? :rofl:

Bar the very wet final weeks of July and August, summer 2015 in the South East was decent to good, a sprinkling of very hot days - 1st July being only one and plenty of dry/warm useable weather aside however I understand further North and in Scotland it was wetter and cooler so I can understand some people's frustration and the 'no seasons' remark. 

But too many people are jumping the gun here. Even if we did end up with a mild/wet winter til the end this year and the Strat warming failed to save us, recently Summer 2014 was decent (bar Hurricane Bertha) and that followed the mild/wet rainfest of the previous winter which had no notable cold spell at all and a very hot week in Spring (May). 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most except high humidity and thawing snow.

While other sane people are out or watching the football results, I thought l might come up with a few phrases that capture the frustrations of current modelling for cold lovers. In no particular order:

getting locked in a wax works

watching paint dry in slow motion

seeing tonight 's episode of Dad's Army for the 19th time and still finding something  to laugh about.

I could give a more in depth analysis, but I will leave that to those on the other thread:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, knocker said:

I'm reminded of the great John Denver song for some reason. The models are showing no inclination for any immediate change from Atlantic domination.

gfs_uv200_atl_23.thumb.png.cbc951da47129

Eh? Was 'The Big Long Purple Sausage' one of his?:D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.

Well, here we are beyond the half way stage of winter and so far it's been another stinker.

Largely snowless (apart from last Friday's wee skiff), and no better than 2014/15 with a record breaking mild December.

Models have all gone pear shaped now with no chance of anything remotely wintery over the next couple of weeks

and no, when the eastern seaboard of the US gets a major blizzard it does not reach the British Isles a week or so later, unfortunately :(

Edited by Peter H

Posted

The GEFS 5-10 showing a familiar picture with Aleutian LP. ridging Alaska and vortex Hudson Bay with the rogue segment Norwegian Sea. With HP orientated south over Europe the result is a continuation of the strong zonality bringing some very unsettled weather to the UK, particularly the north, which above average temps in no way compensates for.

In the 10-15 range there is no huge change except the Euro HP pushes  a little further which will back the flow a tad and perhaps bring more settled weather to the south and hopefully to the rain effected regions further north. Temps still inclined to be average or above.

I'm still in mourning for my bs detector which the mods have confiscated. :shok: It's sorely missed.

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.thumb.png.842783c810gefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.thumb.png.b8ac3809a1gefs_t2ma_5d_eur_41.thumb.png.72eca63199

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
5 minutes ago, knocker said:

The GEFS 5-10 showing a familiar picture with Aleutian LP. ridging Alaska and vortex Hudson Bay with the rogue segment Norwegian Sea. With HP orientated south over Europe the result is a continuation of the strong zonality bringing some very unsettled weather to the UK, particularly the north, which above average temps in no way compensates for.

In the 10-15 range there is no huge change except the Euro HP pushes  a little further which will back the flow a tad and perhaps bring more settled weather to the south and hopefully to the rain effected regions further north. Temps still inclined to be average or above.

I'm still in mourning for my bs detector which the mods have confiscated. :shok: It's sorely missed.

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.thumb.png.842783c810gefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.thumb.png.b8ac3809a1gefs_t2ma_5d_eur_41.thumb.png.72eca63199

Make me laugh you do. 

Models show mild and you're all over it posting more than anyone

They show cold and you hide 

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, Backtrack said:

Make me laugh you do. 

Really? Are you not mixing me up with the cognescenti in the other thread whose postings reach fever pitch at a suggestion of a snowflake within 200 miles and fall eerily silent when it turns out to be a fantasy.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow
9 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Make me laugh you do. 

Hang on,i'm still waiting for knocker's "cold plunge" posts when a cold spell arrives(and i'm not referring to that feeble attempt,last week)

He'll deliver,i'm sure of it. Heard that tesco in cambourne had sold out of blue crayons. He's getting ready:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
11 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Make me laugh you do. 

Nonsense, Backtrack...Unless I'm mistaken (it happens!) it looks as if we're in for a mild, if not very mild, period from now until mid-February...Are you suggesting we all stop posting until it snows? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
16 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Make me laugh you do. 

Lets be fair here how many on here only post cold charts and then when they are not showing 'hide'

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 6