Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

23 minutes ago, knocker said:

Might take peoples mind off of things for a minute some impressive images of the Bering Sea bomb

At last check, the Bering Sea Bomb was down to 924 MB ! Check it out on this satellite loop. http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis/online/loop.asp?data_folder=himawari-8/north_pacific_ahi_band11_ash&width=1600&height=676&number_of_images_to_display=24 

Himawari-8 water vapor images: rapid intensification of Bering Sea storm since 12UTC/12 DEC http://go.wisc.edu/4ud0j3 

A little more than a year after the previous record breaker.

Posted
38 minutes ago, Interitus said:

A little more than a year after the previous record breaker.

Yes. The PJ is nipping around the bomb and the HP GOA down the  western side of the trough over the western States.

gfs_uv250_nepac_4.png

Posted
4 hours ago, daz_4 said:

This year. What the **** is up with that high in south? It has been sitting there with short breaks whole year, making our summer unbearably warm and dry and now it's killing winter. I don't like winter that much but we are in desparate need of cold and wet weather. Our region will run out of water in June if this continues. I've been waiting for the pattern to change since summer 13. It's the same old story.

I think nearly everyone in Europe wants this pattern to change, and likely for very different reasons. In much of the West and North of the UK we have seen enough rain for the winter already, whereas it looks like the continent is really dry. If we could send you some of our water, we would, there's more than enough here.

It would be interesting to see a rainfall map of Europe for the past 6 weeks or so, I'd imagine there would be some major contrasts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
25 minutes ago, March Blizzard said:

I think nearly everyone in Europe wants this pattern to change, and likely for very different reasons. In much of the West and North of the UK we have seen enough rain for the winter already, whereas it looks like the continent is really dry. If we could send you some of our water, we would, there's more than enough here.

It would be interesting to see a rainfall map of Europe for the past 6 weeks or so, I'd imagine there would be some major contrasts.

Absolutely zip here in central France of major irrigating consequence. Maybe something in the woodshed in the longer term, but nothing near enough. Maybe we should do a lake district swap (my region is known as the French lake district)!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

A cold spell will come eventually.... 

wait.thumb.jpg.dba88da7a41944fbb33a2f799

• Like 6

Posted
9 hours ago, Steve Edgefield said:

11C here in Southampton and grey again. I've seen lower temps in June! 

Ridiculously mild for the week ahead too at times.

Remarkable really but the lack of sunshine is dismal.

Nov/Dec going to be record breaking surely for the extended warmth, one I hope won't be repeated for a fair few years.  Sadly, though I think that more and more unlikely.

I am missing the cold.

13.2C here in Poole today, and not seeing much to suggest that a sub 10C mark is likely any time soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Couldnt get in the damn car door this morning due to the ice. I thought a nice day would ensue but its been mostly grey and raw all day with rain on and off this afternoon. Pretty miserable.

Im glad im no cold lover as the GFS looks mild from start to finish. I just wish we cold get some occasional sunny spells.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

typical December run really from GFS 12Z, that's after the 19th, I still think records will be broken somewhere between Wed and Sun, certainly a date record, say mildest Dec 17th ever at around 16C

certainly though the FI period looks realistic, christmas dominated by the Atlantic

Posted

I cant help but think of ian brown when i see these charts. I bet he is over the moon... Ha ha.  Please can we have a ssw soon please god.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, minus 9 said:

I cant help but think of ian brown when i see these charts. I bet he is over the moon... Ha ha.  Please can we have a ssw soon please god.

why would he be? Ian is a snow fan, a huge one, he (like me) and virtually everybody I know believe UK winters are becoming more low pressure dominated and more rain and milder (and I and loads believe flooding will become a normality) unless of course flood defenses are massively improved, infact all times of the year are becoming more low pressure dominated

high pressure certainly seems to becoming less and less over the UK

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

When was the last time there was a nationwide cold spell (snow at sea level)? Last time i had a decent snowfall was January 2013! last 2 winters have been a disgrace!

Posted
Just now, I Cumbria Marra I said:

When was the last time there was a nationwide cold spell (snow at sea level)? Last time i had a decent snowfall was January 2013! last 2 winters have been a disgrace!

January 2013 was also the last time we had any measurable snow here aswell. 2013/14 was completely snowless and 2014/15 had one day of lying snow at 0900.

We've not had any lying snow in December since 2010 either, which is quickly looking like being extended by another year at least. Its the longest run yet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Well, It hasn't been the same for months, has it? So yes, it is 'wonderfully diverse'

Like this

All depends on your circumstances really, if you have to  work outdoors in it and try to make a living, especially if you are self employed,then it's not so great.

In the building trade excessive amounts of rain equate to large amounts of lost wages, nobody pays you to sit and look at the rain. I dread to think how much money I lost because of the incessant rain over a 25 year period. At least when it is cold and dry you can wrap up and carry on with something even if it's around freezing. A nice seasonal continental climate looks very inviting at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.
1 hour ago, minus 9 said:

LOL, I am surprised he hasn't crawled out from the woodwork.... We cold lovers need him now like a hole in the head!! Pity his pet theory was massively debunked from about January 2009 onwards.

Edited by JOPRO
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

jpro he is most likely operating under a different username. i'll say no more

No doubt it, Come back Ian!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
56 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

No doubt it, Come back Ian!!!!

You are he and I claim my £5.:D

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

You are he and I claim my £5.:D

lol chris, I have same thoughts but I'm not IB, he is miles more knowledgeable

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
1 hour ago, reef said:

January 2013 was also the last time we had any measurable snow here aswell. 2013/14 was completely snowless and 2014/15 had one day of lying snow at 0900.

We've not had any lying snow in December since 2010 either, which is quickly looking like being extended by another year at least. Its the longest run yet.

Most of winters in late 70s and early 80s where we had lots of snow never got going until after Christmas, I think it was only 81 where we had severe cold in early December like 2010 and just like 2010 second half of winter was quite mild.

The severe winter of 1947 didn't get going until mid January. 

All is not lost yet, we could end up with a mild and snow free winter but my money is on us seeing lots of snow in January and early February. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I really hope something changes soon. No matter how much I love or loathe the weather at any given time, I normally just get along with it. But this current spell of weather is really beginning to test me. I have taken a keen interest in the weather since 2011, and this is the first time that I can truly say that the weather is starting to get me down. This unrelenting 7-week long super-mild crap is actually starting to make me feel quite sad. It's just utterly, utterly awful this weather. And there is still no light at the end of the tunnel :(

Still, I console myself with the fact that I haven't been affected by flooding. I can't even begin to imagine how bad it must be for those who have had to vacate their homes for Christmas.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

What's the betting we get a big change in the weather just in time for spring.

Nice cold april anyone?:nonono:

Weather,get a grip for -----'s sake.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.

Well, we had a wee skiff of snow here on Thursday evening and Friday and yesterday were cool with some snow up over the hills, but nothing really to write home about.

Today has turned wet and drizzley and the rest of the week is forecast to be exceptionally mild. In fact, the run up to Christmas and beyond looks pretty much awful.

With December being a right off now, this winter is shaping up to be yet another mild snowless stinker.

I would speculate this December's CET will end up pretty high.

Edited by Peter H
  • Like 1