Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

that's cheerful Nick! just hope it remains mainly dry, GFS modelling dry most days next week, 13C on wed, thur and Sat

Netweather GFS Image

shorts out, certainly summer clothes/no coat, for Spanish plume

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Kind of off topic even for this thread, but since it was brought up yesterday.... 

My wife started bee keeping this year, got her own hive a couple of months ago (well took over one of someone else's). During the winter damp is more likely to kill off a colony than the cold is, so a cool wet winter is maybe more damaging to the bee population than a cold winter. Probably depends on the length of cold though as they don't really forage until the temp is around 12c (likely why it was such a poor year for honey production in Scotland, long cool spring). Although they will leave the hive for 'cleansing flights' during cold weather, a long cold winter may mean they run out of stores of food unless the beekeeper is feeding them. 

I only know all this because I have no choice but to listen.  :)

Edit: Woolymummy, bee keepers treat thier hives for varroa mites. in fact we removed the treatment strips from 2 hives last weekend. I know this because I also have no choice but to help out. 

Edited by Ravelin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

well it looks like the case i made for a cold or at least blocked spell yesterday will not become reality - as expected ( it was never more then a long shot anyway ).

more mild wet dull southwesterlies, wednesday is looking particually wet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
5 hours ago, Nick L said:

A very dull few days coming up, with virtually no sunshine for many areas.

Thank you Nick for cheering me up, days of no sunshine. :wallbash::wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Tis the season for a joyous feast across Euroland, I mean for a barbecue. Gaity, rejoicing festive proceedings, all under a warm blood red winter sun or rain laden mists. Markets festooned to the hilt with lights and tinsel and the sights and sounds of Christmas Pasts. No cruel frost here, no snow deep crisp and even. Anyway, I give up , enjoy what we have now, piped music, sweaty shopping malls and melting toy soldier boy chocolates dripping off the Chrisman Trees. The only snow I see is on Christmas cards and on a man made ski slope outside my  house. God, I hate this weather. Help !

C

Rtavn13217.gif

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Tis the season for a joyous feast across Euroland, I mean for a barbecue. Gaity, rejoicing festive proceedings, all under a warm blood red winter sun or rain laden mists. Markets festooned to the hilt with lights and tinsel and the sights and sounds of Christmas Pasts. No cruel frost here, no snow deep crisp and even. Anyway, I give up , enjoy what we have now, piped music, sweaty shopping malls and melting toy soldier boy chocolates dripping off the Chrisman Trees. The only snow I see is on Christmas cards and on a man made ski slope outside my  house. God, I hate this weather. Help !

C

Rtavn13217.gif

C we all feel your pain, chucking it down again this morning,again.mild wet and windy,as it has been bar the odd day since the start of november!!! ;(

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The second half of next week into the following weekend could be some of the mildest weather we have saw so far this winter.

Modele GFS - Carte prévisionsModele GFS - Carte prévisionsModele GFS - Carte prévisionsModele GFS - Carte prévisions

Potentially mid-teens on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday down here.

Jeez..... :wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

C we all feel your pain, chucking it down again this morning,again.mild wet and windy,as it has been bar the odd day since the start of november!!! ;(

7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Hi Northwestsnow, its a good job we have this moan site to take out our frustration. Lived for quite a time in the Northwest and know what your constant rain and cloud is like, but reading reports from your regional site, you have had a crap 12 months, I mean no snow last winter, not much to speak of, a cool cloudy summer and incessant rain since. Ok, I am lucky where I live, hot summer , followed very warm Autumn and mild sunny start to winter. But I tell you, plonked under Euro high, day after day is like sitting under a water drip torture on the brain. The charts are boring and the worst start to a winter I have ever encountered. Enjoy your drip as well !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Don't forget no snow for last 2 winters, not just last winter! March 2013 was last decent fall I saw. Mildest December on record looks odds on to me now, for me the only question is how much it beats the last record by.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
23 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

The second half of next week into the following weekend could be some of the mildest weather we have saw so far this winter.

Modele GFS - Carte prévisionsModele GFS - Carte prévisionsModele GFS - Carte prévisionsModele GFS - Carte prévisions

Potentially mid-teens on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday down here.

Jeez..... :wallbash:

Eh, those charts on their own don't look special. It reached 15C here in December 2011.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
32 minutes ago, cheese said:

Eh, those charts on their own don't look special. It reached 15C here in December 2011.

The one thing I have noticed that the maximum temperatures have tended to be a couple of degrees higher, so seeing the GFS show 14C as a benchmark widely across England and Wales would suggest that 16 or 17C could be reached in favoured spots. A real shame that the mildness will probably be the one memory of this month (Except for the north west where rain of course is the bigger talking point).

It is also worth baring in mind that night time temperatures won't be much lower than the maximum so potentially daily CET records could be broken during the coming week.

Edited by Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

If i had to pick a month for some cold weather it would be Jan or even Feb,especially down here where the sea is usually to warm in Dec anyway.

Take a positive out of the present set-up,it can't stay like this forever,the weather will change,it always does.

Another 3-4 weeks to keep knocker happy and then BOOM,a January "beast from the east". I'll drink to that:drinks:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Reports of 3'' of snow in parts of Ireland this morning :cold:

From @somofagun over in the Ireland regional.

snow.thumb.jpg.c2be0041bc3928fe1de25ef37

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 1

Model thread is so utterly depressing. Might as well post "prevailing westerlies and odd flirt with someting different", instead of charts upon charts upon information which Is effectively bog standad climo. Starting from this premise,backtracking to finding charts to justify it, and then going on about ad nuaseum is utterly pointless and kills the fun and excitement sone dead.How to sustain the magic of having a Northern Hemisphere winter climate. Not.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.

Looking foward to the mild uppers being forecast cast for the 16-18th being downgraded as we get nearer the time,same way -15 850s do when the are set to hit the uk at longer a range. Then the mild rampers can throw some toys out the pram!! Seriously bet we only end up with +5 uppers and more relentless rain. The set up is wasted in December the same way a Scandinavia high and northern blocking is in July and August. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
36 minutes ago, knocker said:

Are there any mild rampers? I can't think of one off the top of my head. Where are they skulking; not in the woodshed I trust.

I trust that post was made with some degree of humour?:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms,cold, heatwaves.

Contemplating giving the grass its first cut but too wet, at least the rain is cold just now and there is the prospect of our first frost of the season and probably the last for this month. 

Posted
52 minutes ago, knocker said:

Are there any mild rampers? I can't think of one off the top of my head. Where are they skulking; not in the woodshed I trust.

They're more likely to be attending to business in the boat sheds!

Posted
14 minutes ago, kag said:

Contemplating giving the grass its first cut but too wet, at least the rain is cold just now and there is the prospect of our first frost of the season and probably the last for this month. 

1 hour ago, knocker said:

When I first joined this forum in 2005 we had quite a few mild rampers and wind up merchants. Funny enough, two were based in the cardinal point lying opposite to East. One got barred from the site and I think the other changed his forum name and became a cold ramper. Some of the older members on here might know who they were . The one who was building his own Noahs Arks, seems to have got his wish.

C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

Hello i was wondering if any of the models were forecasting  the euro slug high pressure being about for as long as it has and also the well above average temperature air circulating within it .myself im just a newbie to all this model forecasting stuff but i couldn't help but wonder if the effect  of all those politicians talking nonsense and all the hot air wafting from there mouths in paris has got something to do with the current set up maybe someone with a bit more knowledge could advise.

Ps there's a family of field mice just moved into my woodshed to escape the winters cold poor little things hope there's milder weather forecast for them

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

When I first joined this forum in 2005 we had quite a few mild rampers and wind up merchants. Funny enough, two were based in the cardinal point lying opposite to East. One got barred from the site and I think the other changed his forum name and became a cold ramper. Some of the older members on here might know who they were . The one who was building his own Noahs Arks, seems to have got his wish.

C

Where's Ian Brown, I always found his posts very realistic, yes I don't know the science that Ian does, but whatever he always seemed accurate

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Realistic question. How soon until we can bin off this month as a dead loss?

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Where's Ian Brown, I always found his posts very realistic, yes I don't know the science that Ian does, but whatever he always seemed accurate

Not sure where Ian is. Hi posts were always enlightening. He was not from all points west though.

C

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

You must be joking always seemed accurate!

He was when it was mild as he regularly predicted mild.

He had little objectivity in my view.

• Like 4