Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
34 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

I reckon Ladbrokes would be prepared to offer 500/1 against that actually happening WMD! 

Yes, I agree and will also add a mark...to my nails with varnish in the form of snowmen and snowflakes in anticipation of a stonking mid to late winter storm ha ha. 

Posted

I'm gonna take a break from the model output for a few days.I feel like I've done a frustrating winter already lol.

See you in a few days

over to model output he goes.........

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

Bees v snow

if the weather being warmer meant that bees would be saved from possible extinction but it meant your back yard never had snow ever again, or bees died out and you got snow, which would you choose?

Bees or snow?

image.jpg

Posted
7 minutes ago, Woollymummy said:

Bees v snow

if the weather being warmer meant that bees would be saved from possible extinction but it meant your back yard never had snow ever again, or bees died out and you got snow, which would you choose?

Bees or snow?

image.jpg

It isn't so black and white though. I'd argue that the current extreme mildness is probably as devastating to the bee population as deep cold is. There shouldn't be bees around at this time of the year and as the current mildness can't possibly last until spring we'll get a cold snap at some point which will kill off those which are out and about.

If anything, the seasons acting like they should and not like a perpetual Autumn is probably best for them.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 hour ago, reef said:

It isn't so black and white though. I'd argue that the current extreme mildness is probably as devastating to the bee population as deep cold is. There shouldn't be bees around at this time of the year and as the current mildness can't possibly last until spring we'll get a cold snap at some point which will kill off those which are out and about.

If anything, the seasons acting like they should and not like a perpetual Autumn is probably best for them.

Yes, this current weather is doing nature no good at all in my view. Nature has adapted to winter being cold, it "expects" winter to be cold.

• Like 1

Posted

Yep, we have some daffs out at the nursery where I work!!

I'm hoping we do get a decent winter, it'll be three years without snow in march

Posted

if people don't look out reg Xmas  day some people Xmas  day  dinners could get messed  up  as its looking nasty   to say the least ex people with all the flooding

Edited by tinybill

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow
1 minute ago, tinybill said:

if people don't look out reg Xmas  day some people Xmas  day  dinners could get messed  up  as its looking nasty   to say the least ex people with all the flooding at the moment its the last thing people want at the moment

?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
16 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Yes, this current weather is doing nature no good at all in my view. Nature has adapted to winter being cold, it "expects" winter to be cold.

In the short-term, I guess that extreme seasons appear to be negative and detrimental to wildlife. But, if it weren't for the combination of environmental stress and intra-specific variation, our ancestors would never have ventured out of the sea?:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

Roll on Spring!

Yes! roll on Summer also, but lets have Xmas first,

Posted

Roll on winter!...what do you mean it's already started?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
6 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Roll on Spring!

Probably when we'll get our coldest weather :)

Posted

used to like winter in the 80's and 90's, but nowadays whats to enjoy about constant raging zonality for 4 months, think nowadays summer is probably my favourite season

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

11 days in and it's written off already...really?  

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, snawbaw said:

11 days in and it's written off already...really?  

I don't think anyone has written it off to be fair! We'll get a cold spell at some point...I think...I hope :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

Oh...is there a geographical cut off for winter qualification?

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I don't think anyone has written it off to be fair! We'll get a cold spell at some point...I think...I hope :D

To be honest, its already shaping up to be the warmest December on record, certainly around here. It'l take something exceptional to get it down to somewhere near average.

Not sure that any winter with a "warmest month on record" is going to go down as a good or even reasonable one

Posted
On 10/12/2015 at 11:29 AM, Froze were the Days said:

Unfortunately this super el-nino winter has started as feared, looks like this November/December combo will be the mildest on record and going by this what's to say this won't be the mildest winter on record. I know very early days and you can never rule out a cold snap/spell but over the last 15+ years there have been very few occasions when we've seen a flip from a very mild winter month then to a cold one, 2010/11 started the opposite but not visa versa.

We've had some absurdly warm nights here and the amount of flies and bees I've noticed you'd think we were in September. Personally feel this will be another no show in many southern and central areas for snow this winter...still waiting for our first frost for this month. 

On 10/12/2015 at 11:29 AM, Froze were the Days said:

Unfortunately this super el-nino winter has started as feared, looks like this November/December combo will be the mildest on record and going by this what's to say this won't be the mildest winter on record. I know very early days and you can never rule out a cold snap/spell but over the last 15+ years there have been very few occasions when we've seen a flip from a very mild winter month then to a cold one, 2010/11 started the opposite but not visa versa.

We've had some absurdly warm nights here and the amount of flies and bees I've noticed you'd think we were in September. Personally feel this will be another no show in many southern and central areas for snow this winter...still waiting for our first frost for this month. :(

Maybe but I think our seasons can come in all different shapes and sizes so I think anything is possible really. And you say that although Winter 2010/11 started with a very cold December and ended with a mild February you don't think the opposite is likely. Well I don't see why not really. Truth is although the next couple of weeks don't look likely to produce any cold weather, in a months time we could be looking out our Windows at a deep blanket of snow for all we know!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

oh dear, just read about varroa mites who parasitise the bees more when there are anomalously warm winters, so I guess the winning combination is bees+snow.

Effects of warm winters on bee mortality

:( poor bees

• Like 1

Posted

Netweather GFS Image

18Z going for blowtorch, something similar will come off, but I still expect temps to be less mild, and weather wetter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

I'm getting on the xmas sherry early, if only to drown my sorrows

That Met Office extended outlook, looks bleak.

The groundhog winter of non-stop gales, rain, and mild

Night time temps mostly not even getting down to single digits at night, at least down this way

Could this be a winter of zero frost, nevermind snow

Only mention of snow, during the final sentence for northern hills

Santa, please bring a pattern change with you. Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
8 hours ago, Costa Del Fal said:

You didn't get below 10c Max during that cold spell around the 19th November?

I was talking about December only, though yesterday had a max of 7C so what I said is no longer true.. lol. Funny how normal temperatures for the time of year can feel so cold after prolonged mildness. We had sunshine though.. which was nice.

Edited by cheese

Posted

A very dull few days coming up, with virtually no sunshine for many areas.