Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
5 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

MOD thread hilarious - once again ludicrous ramping yesterday evening has proven inaccurate.:D

Not really. It's turning colder next week and after the dross we've put up with since October it's no wonder there's a bit of excitement. If anything, it's more laughable that people are finding the breakdown before it's even begun i.e. shortwaves that may or may not appear! 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

MOD thread hilarious - once again ludicrous ramping yesterday evening has proven inaccurate.:D

Inaccurate? I don't think anyone was ramping charts for today's weather so it's a bit premature to say that just yet :whistling: The snow-starved will continue to get excited over outputs that might...just might give our favourite weather. We're only human, after all :D 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

I think the good part is that it may well be drier for a time, which is obviously needed in the north and north-west, but I doubt there'll be any lowland snow next week.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Im looking forward to some cold weather and hard frosts now.  And hopefully the flooded areas will slowly dry out.

• Like 1

Posted
59 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Im looking forward to some cold weather and hard frosts now.  And hopefully the flooded areas will slowly dry out.

Quite right, it's been an abysmal few months around here so the hunt for snow plays second fiddle to dry, clear weather with some frosts thrown in for good measure.

Posted

Well, Met Office now starting to hint on BBC TV broadcasts at a change to colder conditions next week with air sourced from the Arctic!

Probably, NW/NNW which could be really good for Scotland & Northern England (especially mountains/hills) but no good for South or SE.

But, finally a long awaited pattern change and some drier conditions for area's badly hit by recent floods.

How long will it last?

Probably no longer than 48 hours but who knows!

Good spell of reliable range model watching to come. :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Could be good for Norfolk & Suffolk. Better still, if 850s fall to -8C or lower???

Posted
30 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Could be good for Norfolk & Suffolk. Better still, if 850s fall to -8C or lower???

Do we really do that well from north-westerliers. though?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow
18 hours ago, carinthian said:

Its just not fair for Sussex, my daughter who lives in Sweden, left Gatwick this afternoon in pouring rain and temp of 10C and just 3 hours later arrived home near Uppsala to snow and -10C.

C

well on the up side you at least have the opportunity to go and stay with your daughter with free board and lodging whenever you please, which is more than I can do and am stuck in this dire weather.

• Like 1

Posted

Sorry for the previous post, not sure what happened there!

Anyway, the BBC are now on board with a northely blast next week. Hopefully the Met offices 'super top secret Area 51' models are showing them something good.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, No Balls Like Snow Balls said:

Or Rain and wind, but anything but dry nothingness lol

Regretfully I agree, whenever it's mild in winter I hope for a proper gale, I look towards notable bouts of weather which can be v unpleasant for some. I do like cold frosty days but as far as I know a cold spell is 'empty' when wintry precipitation is not involved. HP slap bang over the British Isles even if there's surface cold, gives me no/little satisfaction not in winter.

Edited by Earnest Easterly*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most except high humidity and thawing snow.
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

-8c didn't quiet deliver for North Norfolk in a similar situation last January. Wet snow which only laid for a night. Not lived here long but effect of coastal location in reducing snow chances was very evident. -10c would do it for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Weathervane said:

-8c didn't quiet deliver for North Norfolk in a similar situation last January. Wet snow which only laid for a night. Not lived here long but effect of coastal location in reducing snow chances was very evident. -10c would do it for me.

That's why I said 'or lower'... I think that -8C is the very warmest we can get away with - -10 is always better. As for wind direction - well, a NW'erly is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard and NNE'erly can often get warmed too much by a long sea-track??

I haven't worked-out the perfect direction yet...:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, snowblizzard said:

But, finally a long awaited pattern change and some drier conditions for area's badly hit by recent floods.

How long will it last?

Probably no longer than 48 hours but who knows!

erm, i wouldnt call a 48 hour cold snap a 'pattern change' :p

anyway, youll not see this often, but
BLOODY MILD WEATHER HAS ALREADY RUINED SPRING GRRRRR :angry:

yep, i might not like the cold, but i can tolerate it because it makes a nice (early) mild spring even more enjoyable. but seeing the amount of spring flowers out now - which will only get ruined by the frosts, the way sallow catkins wont 'set', (and hence will be a poor show this spring) all will lead to a very dull spring. the daffs out now cannot re-send more flowers, ive seen magnolia and flowering current buds about to break.. spring 16 will be a poor one for flowers as a lot are being lost right now :(

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

yep, i might not like the cold, but i can tolerate it because it makes a nice (early) mild spring even more enjoyable. but seeing the amount of spring flowers out now - which will only get ruined by the frosts, the way sallow catkins wont 'set', (and hence will be a poor show this spring) all will lead to a very dull spring. the daffs out now cannot re-send more flowers, ive seen magnolia and flowering current buds about to break.. spring 16 will be a poor one for flowers as a lot are being lost right now :(

Yes, exactly. This is why we need seasonal weather, and not just for spring aesthetics. Many species have evolved to require certain conditions that may be inconvenient or unpleasant to us, and entire ecosystems can be thrown off balance. As much as I appreciate saving a few quid on heating bills I'd much rather global flora and fauna populations be stable and not at risk :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
1 hour ago, snow freak said:

well on the up side you at least have the opportunity to go and stay with your daughter with free board and lodging whenever you please, which is more than I can do and am stuck in this dire weather.

Just looking at the London obs, showers and 9c, that's cold for this winter in your snowless zone. Yes, just checked out its -13C currently where she is with snow falling but its still dark over there at 3.30pm. No need to visit, got my own winter wonderland here for the most part anyway. Sure you will see a snowflake next week and perhaps a ground frost. Enjoy when it comes.

C

Posted
1 hour ago, Weathervane said:

That northerly was rather crap in fact very wishy-washy, there was no real blocking to really funnel the cold - different ball game this January.

You will see some snow going by latest model output...

My iPad is up to no good! :fool:

Edited by Earnest Easterly*
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

The pattern change will probably last longer than 48 hours, unlike the Northerly cold snap!

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

you have to make sure you're right before ridiculing others :-D

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, cyclonic happiness said:

you have to make sure you're right before ridiculing others :-D

Still not seeing anything other than cooler temperatures for lowland England.

Posted
2 hours ago, Spikey M said:

Sorry for the previous post, not sure what happened there!

Anyway, the BBC are now on board with a northely blast next week. Hopefully the Met offices 'super top secret Area 51' models are showing them something good.

One or two of the BBC weather presenters seem to be getting a bit excited!

But, perhaps it's just because they are bored to tears with the set-up we've had for the past 8 weeks and are desperate for change and something different to talk about?

Edited by snowblizzard
  • Like 1