Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Forum upgrade - info, bugs, support

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Has the ability to see signatures on the mobile skin been removed?

Also, Is it possible to have a 'back to the top' implementation? I've just got to the bottom of a long page on the mobile skin, and I wanted to get back to the main forum, there's no direct link at the bottom of the page, so I had to scroll all the way back to the top.

Apart from that, I cannot fault the new update. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

A quick question: how do I get from the forum to the netweather homepage??:oops:

Posted

I'm on Internet Explorer 8 in work and I can longer post using it. I cannot upgrade this as it's the works.

I'm finding more difficult to navigate using my mobile too,  it has taken me over ten minutes to do this.

Very frustrating. 

Posted
17 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

A quick question: how do I get from the forum to the netweather homepage??:oops:

Click the netweather menu top left and it'll show options for various parts of the site inc the homepage.

14 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I'm on Internet Explorer 8 in work and I can longer post using it. I cannot upgrade this as it's the works.

I'm finding more difficult to navigate using my mobile too,  it has taken me over ten minutes to do this.

Very frustrating. 

IE 8 is very old unfortunately, it's impossible to keep supporting such old technology all the time. 

Re the mobile nav, can you be more specific as to where you're finding it tricky please?

Posted
29 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Has the ability to see signatures on the mobile skin been removed?

Also, Is it possible to have a 'back to the top' implementation? I've just got to the bottom of a long page on the mobile skin, and I wanted to get back to the main forum, there's no direct link at the bottom of the page, so I had to scroll all the way back to the top.

Apart from that, I cannot fault the new update. :)

Yes, it looks like signatures are off by default on mobile, easily remedied if people want them back though I think. 

Will look into the back to top option, should be simple enough, and agree it would be handy.

• Like 1

Posted

Hi Paul, I know IE8 is pretty much obsolete, unfortunately my Company  controls that. 

With regards Mobile usage. What is the quickest way to navigate to say the Model output thread without having to go back through Netweather hhomepage? 

Posted

In the mobile menu on the right, choose browse and forums and then you'll be at the forum homepage (or just click the netweather logo at the top, that takes you back to the forum homepage from wherever you are),  so you can go into the winter area/model thread from there. 

Alternatively, you can setup an activity stream solely for the model thread and have one click access from that. I'm going to do a guide on the activity streams later. 

Posted

Is that that blue arrowy thing? If so, I can't get past the 'welcome to the forum' page

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Is that that blue arrowy thing? If so, I can't get past the 'welcome to the forum' page

Not sure what you mean, but it's this bit:

menu1.thumb.jpeg.26798bcc6f6befd7ecdc713 menu2.thumb.jpeg.2394cba75744f669b023301

Posted

I don't have that anymore. I have a long blue bar with 3 white icons on the far right, and a black arrow [help, support..., home] or whatever in it...

Posted

Ah ok, so you're on the mobile view - I assume your screen is quite small. In which case, click the 3 white icons top right, and there's a netweather menu in there :)

Posted

32"...Small enough? Got it, anyway. Cheers!

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted

It's about the pixel width Pete, so assuming that's a TV, if it's an HD one then make sure you set your pc to have a resolution of more than 960px wide and you'll see the main site. If it's not an HD one then you'll not be able to do it I don't think. 

Posted

It (the TV) is 720p..whatever that means, so I'll fiddle with the laptop resolution. It's okay how it is, now I know what it's about...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Hi Paul

New forum looks good, I like the new modern design :)

Just one thing ive noticed. The notifictions 'bell' in the top right isnt working for me. Ive not had anything show yet. It used to count in red the number of posts theres been since my last visit on threads im following. Ive looked at notification settings and it looks like thats off, and cant be turned on as its disabled by admin. Email is also on by default and cant be turned off. I rarely check my inbox and always used the count at the top. Dont know whether its just my account or a full change??

Thanks

Posted

Hi Chris, glad you like it. I think the notifications should all be editable except the first couple for the messenger (which I'll have a look at), let me know if that's definitely not the case though :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)
2 minutes ago, Paul said:

Hi Chris, glad you like it. I think the notifications should all be editable except the first couple for the messenger (which I'll have a look at), let me know if that's definitely not the case though :) 

Thanks Paul, ive gone back in and its allowed me to edit the settings now :good:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The quote system is going a bit weird. A lot of the time I click "quote" and it's just a blank box that appears in my post editor.

Posted
Just now, Nick L said:

The quote system is going a bit weird. A lot of the time I click "quote" and it's just a blank box that appears in my post editor.

Yep, there's a bug floating about in there somewhere. Funny enough I just tweaked a setting to see if that clears it, so let me know!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Just now, Paul said:

Yep, there's a bug floating about in there somewhere. Funny enough I just tweaked a setting to see if that clears it, so let me know!

Smashing. That just worked no problem!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

It's not at all essential to meddle with things to include this, but you used to be able to see how many non-members were watching the model discussion, and I miss that a bit. But if it has to not come back it won't be a disaster....

Posted
7 minutes ago, Woollymummy said:

It's not at all essential to meddle with things to include this, but you used to be able to see how many non-members were watching the model discussion, and I miss that a bit. But if it has to not come back it won't be a disaster....

I was actually looking to see if I could turn this on earlier, but couldn't see a simple route. Will definitely look into it though :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather
Just now, Paul said:

I was actually looking to see if I could turn this on earlier, but couldn't see a simple route. Will definitely look into it though :)

It probably didn't help the forum stay calm on "snow" days, as it whipped up the excitement, but its nice to see when more people are also seemingly fascinated with the weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Like the layout and the fact that you can jse the ipad like a pc, couldnt do that before on this forum software same as my spiritcharms one, although on the old one still. My only thing at the moment about this new one, you are lost floating in a sea of snow!!! Hahaha you wish! ;) its a bit white and no definition?