Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 1st December onwards

Paul

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mucka said:

I'm not sure there were any posts suggesting GFS would bring snow to low land England John, just that it was an improvement over its previous output in hi res and move toward the Euros.

Where did I make that suggestion please Mucka? I have posted with a link for folk to look at a series of charts and made a comment from my point of view not posting that there has been, I quote you above?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Little improvement at 120z on ecm - little undercutting...just looks like rain to me with LP to the west.

• Like 1

Posted

Part of the reason for the differences is you guessed it the upstream pattern! The UKMO is most amplified over the ne USA, the ECM next then the GFS the flattest solution. This effects the movement of the PV and the energy release from the troughing to the nw.

You can correlate how far south the cold gets across the Canadian/USA border at T120hrs with the pattern over the UK in terms of favourable or less so. More cold heading south across that border the PV pulled further west.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
6 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Where did I make that suggestion please Mucka? I have posted with a link for folk to look at a series of charts and made a comment from my point of view not posting that there has been, I quote you above?

I didn't say you did either.

It is just your posts suggests you think there are some controversial posts re GFS output.

"I would be very grateful if one of you bright chappies/chappesses could give me a BRIEF outline of where we are. Reading some comments above it might well help some of our newcomers and visitors as well"

"

"how about IF it will allow me to show Extra 850 mb Temperatures and isobars (the white lines) folk make up their own minds?

I hope this can be allowed please Paul/team, just this once.

It might help visitors/new folk see what the latest GFS is suggesting?

My own view is that no sooner does it bring in lower 850 temperatures than the next surface system swings in with less cold air. Through most of its run it shows the isobars are from west to south west, rarely north west, so snow prospects away from hills and the far north look slight to me. Probably non existent for any lasting/lying variety, although the Scottish ski resorts should do quite well"

I had enough of the twilight zone the other day so please carry on.:hi:

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

A blast of PM air from the west at day 3 on the ECM which would likely give snow to high ground with -4/-5c 850's but the deep cold way to the NE of the UK, Shetland looks like the place to be! Very cold air spilling out into the Atlantic across the pond. 

ecm60.thumb.gif.af772a5fbf8f45e9e55f9fd9

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

ECM marginally better at 168z but we are talking miniscule differences from 0z with perhaps a bit better negative tilt to the LP with the core slightly further south but still the real cold air to the north/north east of Scotland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
2 hours ago, knocker said:

Impressive number of lows on a strong jet.

Abandon hope all ye who enter here

gfs_uv200_atl_31.thumb.png.06acd8d520750

Indeed heading towards real winter now buckled jet and separated low and heights showing first stages Greenland both gfs and ukmo have different ideas how to get heights into Greenland great models for a fair number of days now

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

JMA improves over previous output but not quite there.

JN144-21.GIF?29-12

That leaves UKMO at one extreme and GFS at the other with JMA and ECM somewhere in the middle.

Have to admit the ECM is disappointing tonight - we can hope it is very much on the mild side of its ensembles by day 8/9

Place your bets please.

Edited by Mucka

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
3 minutes ago, Greenland1080 said:

Isn't this exactly what Glacier Point mentioned for early Jan?......PM air source from West North West with potential as we head into Jan...seems right to me at moment...

image.png

As heights push West towards Greenland this in-turn would bring a N/W flow.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I'd like to point that out that, yes, the ECM is still showing an active Atlantic with Polar Maritime air being the form horse in the latter stages. However, there's plenty of scope for reloads down the line. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

So not a great ecm tonight which seems to move slightly towards the gfs outcome. I think we will see a half way house situation here. From mild rain to cold rain not a great outlook for us here in the north with more floods looking likely. 

• Like 1

Posted

I have to admit, won't it be ironic if for all the blocking, the UK does not see any significant cold and that is a real possibility at the moment, I think you can have too much blocking and to be honest, the signal does seem to be moving height rises from Scandi into Western parts of Russia and for Atlantic lows not really undercutting all that well. 

That said, its a volatile output at this moment and any details in the medium term are definately subject to change. Lots of potential though. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Question- do we pay more attention to the GFS or Parallel ?

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

ECM day 8-10

ECM1-192.GIF?29-0ECM1-216.GIF?29-0ECM1-240.GIF?29-0

GFS for the same time

gfs-0-192.png?12gfs-0-216.png?12gfs-0-240.png?12

Maybe Fergie has a point about the GFS being "less progressive", some people had to bring it up. :rofl:

On a more serious note, I must admit that surely the ECM has to be over doing things in terms of the loss of high pressure over our side of the pole, it does seem out of kilter with the other runs and anomalies, even if other runs don't deliver much in the way of cold and snow.

In terms of anomalies the GEFs are interesting

gensnh-21-5-240.pnggensnh-21-5-300.pnggensnh-21-5-360.png

There is certainly an suggestion of increased interest around mid month with some kind of block of higher heights developing in the northern Atlantic with a trough to our east. Watch this space, before then the will it/won't story of the complex Euro/Atlantic pattern will continue with the risk of a lot of rain (or snow if you are lucky).

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Although ECM doesn't get there, looking at the NH I don't think ive ever seen a split vortex such as this before, totally ripped in two!,  January is going to be full of fun :)

Recmnh2401.gif

• Like 1

Posted

Just in the NCEP MJO update, both good and less good news:

MJO and other subseasonal tropical variability: • The MJO remained coherent and robust, with the enhanced phase now propagating over the west-central Pacific after rapidly crossing the Maritime Continent. 

• Dynamical model MJO index forecasts all support continued eastward propagation of the signal across the Pacific during Week-1. During Week-2, the GFS slows the eastward propagation and amplifies, while the ECMWF depicts the MJO propagating to the Western Hemisphere.  

Extratropics: • The MJO is likely to support a downstream pattern change in the extratropics during the next several weeks, with a transition to positive height anomalies across the Arctic (negative AO). El Niño influence is anticipated to remain prominent as well; however, which may help to counter the MJO response over parts of North America.

The good news of course the negative AO, the less good news is some possible countering of the MJO response, you often find quite a battle between the El Nino and the MJO especially when the former is strong. We'll just have to see how this evolves but certainly the negative AO is good news.

• Like 9

Posted

The main story this evening is the relentless storms and rain passing over us (my location on alert tonight)

The first week of Jan looks like more of the same. It would be nice to get some cold and snow but let's not kid ourselves it's not yet on the horizon all the way out to 240hrs

• Like 4