Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 2nd February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Location: Foot of the Kent Downs between Ashford & Folkestone & City of London
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (powdery stuff), storms
  • Location: Foot of the Kent Downs between Ashford & Folkestone & City of London

Not only did we not have any snow in the Kent downs but I was due to fly to Innsbruck this morning for a work conference up the Zugspitze but pre booked taxi was cancelled at the minute. By the time I sorted another one we hit the rush hour and I missed the flight by 5 minutes. My colleagues keep texting me to say how much it's snowing up the mountain :-(

i bet that was my only chance to see the white stuff in three winters. Hail yesterday doesn't count :-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
1 hour ago, Thin Ice said:

Not only did we not have any snow in the Kent downs but I was due to fly to Innsbruck this morning for a work conference up the Zugspitze but pre booked taxi was cancelled at the minute. By the time I sorted another one we hit the rush hour and I missed the flight by 5 minutes. My colleagues keep texting me to say how much it's snowing up the mountain :-(

i bet that was my only chance to see the white stuff in three winters. Hail yesterday doesn't count :-(

I think I'd sum that up as a tradegy Thin Ice!! I feel for you. I had the pleasure of skiing up on the Zugspitze a fews years back and it's a spectacular experience, from going up on the "Eagles Dare" cable car and the views from the centre at the top, seemingly precariously perched on the edge. Here's a couple of pics. The first is the cable car and you can see the centre on the top with it's mast. The second is from the top and shows the centre with the spectacular view over the Alps.

Zugspitze2.thumb.jpg.9f5fb7dfc93aa2e05b2Zugspitze1.thumb.jpg.1b5173c1a29243f90e5

Back on topic and it's rain showers on and off with the NE'ly feeling freezing. High looking like 4.3C. Tonight will be very icy as wet pavements and untreated roads freeze up. Will probably be the coldest night of the winter so far.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

More phantom snow to chase this Wednesday/Thursday. I'm expecting an upgrade and then to end up with 5 minutes of drizzle:D Think I'm going to take up knitting jumpers instead of phantom snow chasing, saying that, it has been too warm the past few winters to even wear clothes.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well there was a sprinkling on the cars/rooftops here mixed with a hard frost. A fine day with sunny spells quickly caused that to melt away. Well at least this winter hasn't been an epic fail, though it certainly still sits in the fail category.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (powdery stuff), storms
47 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

I think I'd sum that up as a tradegy Thin Ice!! I feel for you. I had the pleasure of skiing up on the Zugspitze a fews years back and it's a spectacular experience, from going up on the "Eagles Dare" cable car and the views from the centre at the top, seemingly precariously perched on the edge. Here's a couple of pics. The first is the cable car and you can see the centre on the top with it's mast. The second is from the top and shows the centre with the spectacular view over the Alps.

Zugspitze2.thumb.jpg.9f5fb7dfc93aa2e05b2Zugspitze1.thumb.jpg.1b5173c1a29243f90e5

Back on topic and it's rain showers on and off with the NE'ly feeling freezing. High looking like 4.3C. Tonight will be very icy as wet pavements and untreated roads freeze up. Will probably be the coldest night of the winter so far.

It is a tragedy. So much so that it's the first time I've posted, having been a member for years and years! Lovely pictures, I would have been on that cable car today, instead I had to suffer the humiliation of being 'decontrolled' at Gatwick airport :-(

Can anyone console me with the merest hint of a flake before the end of this winter? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
18 minutes ago, Surrey said:

For now people please don't get tied up in the mention of snow Wednesday.. It's so marginal it gives marginal a new meaning! 

Don't worry I know it won't snow here whatever happens lol. I know what model is used for ITV weather now lol, as this morning they forecast the front moving through tomorrow, a kin to the very fast GFS we had yesterday 12z lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Louise Lear on BBC evening weather just now.

Has the midweek front stalling and petering out way out west from us. Although I don't think it matters as she said all of it will be mostly rain except for high ground in North. 

If its going to fall as rain then our western friends can keep it. 

Edited by Ben Lewis
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Surrey said:

For now people please don't get tied up in the mention of snow Wednesday.. It's so marginal it gives marginal a new meaning! 

Hah, I'm actually positive about this one, I think we will get frontal snow out of it and with the continental feed it will all be snow although won't amount to too much 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

nah bring on a nice hailstorm, bit of thunder. Even happens in summer.:yahoo:

Posted

The lovely Darren Bett (not) just gave the most uninspiring forecast on BBC London in terms of any snow chance! 

Rain rain rain for the region come Wednesday night. 

"Possibly a sleety mix over the chilterns" he says   

Edited by Ben Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Incredible here today!...a new dimension to this winter, we had a cold rain shower this afternoon - wow!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

I'm taking the Ouistreham-Portsmouth ferry tomorrow night - I don't do ferries, but I have to do this one to get the car back to sell it so that we can buy a French one! I've been looking at the marine forecasts, most of which say up to 3m waves. Does that mean it'll be a lumpy crossing? I have my ginger biscuits and plan on having a large Calvados with them. I haven't got a cabin, but a reclining seat and a nice fleecy blanket and a pillow...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

You know the " Wednesday/Thursday " event will more than likely miss our region by about 20 miles to our West!

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow

Love it guys !! This evening has a lovely "sarcy" feel about the comments lol ! we are entitled to it and yeah if it's saying rain midweek you all know damn well that's a certainty especially in this ridiculous part of the world (Thanet) I hate bloody cold rain

Edited by snowfish1

Honestly if we don't have a bloody decent summer with gorgeous hot days and warm nights, with bbqs a constant meal then by night rolling thunderstorms walking back up to gorgeous mornings I think we will all go mad in here..

How many times last year though was it "so last night's storms didn't happen because.."  

I'm already hoping that spring arrives mid March. Winter? HA we should have a new season called Autsprig it's the one between autumn and spring with a bit of both! I mean December we got up to 18 degrees in the region!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
1 hour ago, Ben Lewis said:

The lovely Darren Bett (not) just gave the most uninspiring forecast on BBC London in terms of any snow chance! 

Rain rain rain for the region come Wednesday night. 

"Possibly a sleety mix over the chilterns" he says   

Darren and earlier Louise are just presenting a forecast from the briefing they have received, based upon the current data to hand.....We all know that this is a knife edge situation with regard to rain / snow and the forecasts that they presented may change tomorrow as much as the actual weather that is experienced on Wednesday / Thursday? This will be a now casting event if ever there was one, however that doesn't make Darren a 'not' lovely person because he doesn't forecast as you would wish?! I personally don't know him but I can, with a lot of certainty, know he is doing his job as expected? Their forecasts may well be correct.....let's wait and see what happens. This won't be nailed until The event itself.....enjoy what is unfolding , as it is not usual to have a front with cold air to the NW battling with cold air to the SE. This maybe fun,  let's enjoy it regardless of the outcome! :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

Had a surprise shower here while having a puff out of  the window about 20 mins ago . Was definitely sleet with more snow in the heavier bursts. Only lasted about 10 mins tops.  A noticeable temp drop once it stopped. Nice surprise as more than we got yesterday and more than I expected at all today :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Was a marginal day today and the marginal weather made me feel quite marginal. More marginal rain  to come this week, despite what the marginal models say.:reindeer-emoji::drunk-emoji::cc_confused:

2 minutes ago, Snoopie42 said:

Darren and earlier Louise are just presenting a forecast from the briefing they have received, based upon the current data to hand.....We all know that this is a knife edge situation with regard to rain / snow and the forecasts that they presented may change tomorrow as much as the actual weather that is experienced on Wednesday / Thursday? This will be a now casting event if ever there was one, however that doesn't make Darren a 'not' lovely person because he doesn't forecast as you would wish?! I personally don't know him but I can, with a lot of certainty, know he is doing his job as expected? Their forecasts may well be correct.....let's wait and see what happens. This won't be nailed until The event itself.....enjoy what is unfolding , as it is not usual to have a front with cold air to the NW battling with cold air to the SE. This maybe fun,  let's enjoy it regardless of the outcome! :D

Have to agree, to be honest if it is rain I will still go out and dance init because England is the only country that actually gives the meaning too "fart in a thunderstorm"

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hearts in Herts said:

Had a surprise shower here while having a puff out of  the window about 20 mins ago . Was definitely sleet with more snow in the heavier bursts. Only lasted about 10 mins tops.  A noticeable temp drop once it stopped. Nice surprise as more than we got yesterday and more than I expected at all today :)

It's that's sorcery!! 

Posted
21 minutes ago, Snoopie42 said:

Jesus lighten up. 

Darren is a mild lover a well known for it, I'm sure Darren does his job very well, I never said he didn't, but that doesn't stop him being my least favourite weather forecaster what ever the weather. 

im sure you all are well aware of the situation - I was just simply posting what evening forecasters were broadcasting. Which goes against any of the snow claims for midweek. I wonder if I posted that Darren forecasted a snowmageddon would you have been quick to ponder why I chose to tell the forum. Your reply shouts frustration that midweek is highly probable to be another damp squid as per the rest of this winter. 

Also we don't all share your enthusiasm for 'what ever will be' er no thanks... I see rain practically everyday! 

Fyi.. We've just had a rain shower here, going to take some good going to even get sleet midweek to go for your more favourable knife edge situation. 

Edited by Ben Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
10 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Have to agree, to be honest if it is rain I will still go out and dance init because England is the only country that actually gives the meaning too "fart in a thunderstorm"

And Surrey, so will I!  Because regardless of us feeling short changed with regard to 'epic' weather events, we will get our time....and may regret it....but it's the chasing, with a little positivity, because we know we will get lucky (or unlucky) eventually. But most of all because we love the unpredictability of nature's unstoppable force whether it's hot, cold, wet, foggy, windy,  thunder, lightning or tornado....or drizzle! Probably all in one day! Let's lift our glasses to the Great British weather...We salute you! So, is it going to snow on Wednesday / Thursday? LoL

• Like 4