Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted

Cloudy yeah, 14C? June average high here was 20C, July a little below average so far but still 21.3C. 

Posted
1 hour ago, March said:

Cloudy yeah, 14C? June average high here was 20C, July a little below average so far but still 21.3C. 

It seems to be within a few degrees of 14C for 11+ months of the year, last month to average over 21C high here was July 2014.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 hours ago, Summer of 95 said:

The only way I can tell what time of year it is these days is by the day length. December-14C and cloudy. April-14C and cloudy. June and July-14C and cloudy. October-14C and cloudy. Christmas 14C and cloudy. No lying snow. Hardly any frost. Hardly any thunder. 25C happens about as often as 30C did in the 1990s. 

This isn't what we signed up for when we accepted the Kyoto Protocol. 

Been saying this for a while now. It's the same all year round, there's just very little variation. Surely our perception can't be wrong??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
8 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Another year, another perma-Autumn! Very boring as there's no interesting weather whatsoever. At least May and June had some convective interest to take the edge off the otherwise generally crap conditions. The sun finally came out here this afternoon and temperatures scraped up to average, sadly all a bit academic with yet more howling wind. Saying all that, some very nice charts coming out especially ECM...summer to finally arrive later this week (by summer I mean 80F+ and lots of sun)?

Don't blink or you may miss it,2 to 3 days and then back to atlantic i suspect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 minutes ago, markyo said:

Don't blink or you may miss it,2 to 3 days and then back to atlantic i suspect.

GFS is no-where near the ECM 12z this morning. Unsettled, cool and westerly dominated.

• Like 1

Posted

This mornings weather is absolute rank.. Am sorry but this  the 11th of the July..Gotta say am sick of our climate Its depressing.. and the SO CALLED WARM UP.at the end of the week is disappearing quicker then 1 hour of sunshine in July.. I wonder how long it will take  the bbc to back track on the settled spell that they are claming will happen?? i say Thursday..

• Like 1

Posted

todays fun fact-

its going to reach up to 30c in parts of Siberia in the next week!!

edit-  32c forecast in Zyryanka on sunday 17th

the irony is, they'll probably see temps of minus 32c in winter...

Edited by bobbydog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Still no sign of any summer then. Why is it that we can have average sunshine up until the last week of May, and then it plummets just in time for summer? Seems to happen every year!

• Like 2

Posted

The last week of August and the first week of Septmeber will be fantastic.. cause thats how  the weather behaves in the UK.good end to May and start to June.. Cold and below average,with lots  of showery days. for the rest of June/July and August.. apart from 3/4 days here and there.. At the end of Summer pressure will rise leading us into a very nice Autumn weather..Summer doesnt exist anymore!!

Edited by weatherguru14
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Having just been in Toulouse for four days where it was most definitely high summer, it makes this morning's return to work that bit harder with it being grey, cool and windy with drizzle in the air. I honestly cannot remember a summer so dull. I'm also quite annoyed at the backtrack in the models away from a nice weekend next weekend. I've got a birthday BBQ on Saturday which I just need a dry, warm and calm day for - doesn't have to be hot or sunny. Is that really so hard?! Really getting bored of this 'summer'...

• Like 2

Posted

Ok I need a moan now, and didn't want to hijack the summer thread but everyone's doing it and there appears to be no moaning thread so...

Are we really seeing the worst model output for warmth (GFS) which was on it's own compared to the ECM/UKMO and previously the GEM (after the GFS downgraded itself so we get worse than the worse model output) verify, even though the UKMO and ECM usually perform better anyway...  

Should have known.

Basically the same weather we've had for ages then (i.e no weather). Since I got back from abroad 2.5 weeks ago it's been the same.. just constant SW-W flow, lots of cloud, and nothing else.. It's like a summer version of last November/December down here (I appreciate it was a different story for some northwestern areas).. seems these spells of boredom no-weather are getting worse and more frequent :angry::angry::wallbash::wallbash:

Perhaps a reason to emigrate among an increasing amount of others....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
On 01/07/2016 at 09:27, Summer Sun said:

We're gonna need to see a big change in the models very quickly for this to happen....

Exacta weather has posted my reply here on their FB page last night followed by #‎Thankyou‬ ‪#‎LastLaugh‬ ‪#‎HereComesSummer‬

144123.png

Less than 12 hours later and the models have backtracked I sincerely hope they do go back to the warmer outlook knowing our luck they won't but its not over yet

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

ever since that cold blob in the atlanic reared its head its been the same, I am convinced its the root cause of the same weather type most of the rear round, with summer just being slighty warmer than winter,

I dont care what anybody says, the climate has changed over the last decade,   summers in the 70 's 80's and 90's where better ,  ok there was lots of dross mixed in with good amounts of warm summery weather , some years more so, and some less so, but a good spell was almost guaranteed in the school holidays in july and first half of august,  all thats guaranteed now is an altanic succession of troughs and cool temps , with the odd fleeting ray of sun now and again,  expect high summer next year to be the same.  the cold blob needs to do one,  

• Like 1

Posted

The last decade has seen average sunshine amounts down by 50-60 hrs per month in summer, along with terrible temps in August.  Heathrow has seen 5 of it's 10 cloudiest Augusts on record since 2006.

We had an average August in 2012, with above average temps in 2009 and 2013.  Every other August has seen well below normal temps since 2006!

July has fared a bit better, with 2010, 2013, 2014 above average, and 2009, 2015 average.  Since 2007, only 2013 and 2014 have seen average or above average sun, however.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Now i'm not somebody who hates cool weather in summer but even i must admit that the first half has been quite poor. Although not overly cool or wet we're headed to the 20th July with Leeds having seen just one spell where temperatures pushed 25C (all the way back in early June). The complete lack of heat even if not overly cool is surprising, it's also been pretty dull. I'm also pretty sure that every third since the first third of June will have come in below average. 

Posted

and with that back-track in the models, i'm going to write off Summer 2016.

Yes, we may get a nice spell in August (doubtful because August has been traditionally grim since 2005) but that's when i notice the change in light-levels and descent into Autumn so it will be too little too late in my personal opinion.

2012 was rank, though we did reach 30 in July that year which makes it marginally better than this absolute dross, making this the worst summer in my lifetime.

I cant even begin to put into words how frustrated and disappointed I am with this summer. It's been absolutely embarrassing.

As much as I am a "summer person" and crave sunshine, I would do anything to have proper seasons instead of one big long 12 month autumn that seemingly never ends. Remember when they said the South could end up having a similar climate to the Med eventually? LOL

Maybe next summer if i manage to survive another 9 months of atlantic troughing.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Another glorious summers day here LOL with leaden skies, a howling wind and despite the thermometer saying 19C it actually feels cold in a tshirt. Absolutely disgraceful. 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Another glorious summers day here LOL with leaden skies, a howling wind and despite the thermometer saying 19C it actually feels cold in a tshirt. Absolutely disgraceful. 

LOL bet i can trump that Staines.

Fed up doesn't even come close.

• Like 2

Posted

The forecast now is showing a few days with highs between 23-25c.  It's embarrassing that the 'warm spell' is just normal July weather!  The sunniest day only has about 6 hrs, so not even making average!  What is causing the ridiculously cloudy summers since 2007?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I'm rather enjoying this weather. Never feeling too warm, with a refreshing breeze keeping things very comfortable. Not raining at all much either.

To be honest, I think people need to put things into perspective. There were FAR worse Summers in centuries gone by. We struggle these days to achieve sub-15C months in July and August. We haven't even come close in recent years to the likes of August 1912 (a sub-13C CET August and the wettest ever for England and Wales on the EWP). Granted we have had some very wet Summer months, but temperatures are far from disastrous; the coldest Summer since 2000 (Summer 2011) doesn't even make the top 100 coldest in recorded history.

I'll finish with another example: Summer 1725
June CET: 12.2C
July CET: 13.8C
August CET: 13.3C

If you're a Summer lover, then that is what you call a disastrous Summer.

(Edit: If you're unfamiliar with the CET figures for this Summer, June recorded 15.2C, and July is currently running at 15.8C.)

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 2

Posted

what i find midly amusing with this "plume"  that was expected at  the weekend. Looking at the gfs charts.. (if you can trust it) for most of the UK its not going to be a plume its not gonna be even average.. says 17c for saturday and sunday here. when it should be about 21c in this location now. The plume to netweather is  4/5c  below average..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
48 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

I'm rather enjoying this weather. Never feeling too warm, with a refreshing breeze keeping things very comfortable. Not raining at all much either.

To be honest, I think people need to put things into perspective. There were FAR worse Summers in centuries gone by. We struggle these days to achieve sub-15C months in July and August. We haven't even come close in recent years to the likes of August 1912 (a sub-13C CET August and the wettest ever for England and Wales on the EWP). Granted we have had some very wet Summer months, but temperatures are far from disastrous; the coldest Summer since 2000 (Summer 2011) doesn't even make the top 100 coldest in recorded history.

(Edit: If you're unfamiliar with the CET figures for this Summer, June recorded 15.2C, and July is currently running at 15.8C.)

Enjoying this filth? How??? It's dreadful! Yes it might not be raining so much in July but June was a sodden nightmare. Of course there were worse summers in history. Quite amusing how you quoted 1912 and 1725 though. Each to their own I suppose but it's not like we don't get grey skies and howling winds the other 9 months of the year, would be nice for something different in summer.

• Like 1

Posted
53 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

I'm sure there have been worse summers in history, I wasn't alive in 1725 or 1912 though so this still remains the worst summer in my lifetime IMO.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
1 hour ago, Relativistic said:

................There were FAR worse Summers in centuries gone by.

Yes, during the Little Ice Age including the 60-year Maunder Minimum.

• Like 4