Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

I have been watching this site with interest for a couple of years now, but finally feel motivated to add my comments regarding this woeful summer even though I have absolutely no scientific knowledge!!  What I miss are those beautiful sunny mornings with the smell of summer on the air, when you just know it is going to be a lovely, hot day, and that it will still be nice when you get home from work and can enjoy sitting and eating dinner in the garden!  Why don't we get any of the cloudless blue sky days we used to have, and not just one, but a few days in a row or even a week?  I have a wardrobe full of summer clothes and not one item has seen the light of day this year yet!  Can anyone give me hope??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, weatherguru14 said:

well you live in the SE  23/24c  is  cold :D 

Looking at the temps over the next 2 weeks  it will struggle to get much above 23/24c anywhere for any length of time.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, sarahng said:

I have been watching this site with interest for a couple of years now, but finally feel motivated to add my comments regarding this woeful summer even though I have absolutely no scientific knowledge!!  What I miss are those beautiful sunny mornings with the smell of summer on the air, when you just know it is going to be a lovely, hot day, and that it will still be nice when you get home from work and can enjoy sitting and eating dinner in the garden!  Why don't we get any of the cloudless blue sky days we used to have, and not just one, but a few days in a row or even a week?  I have a wardrobe full of summer clothes and not one item has seen the light of day this year yet!  Can anyone give me hope??

any hope??? Nope sorry  none..

Posted

You just got to laugh really, todays weather would be classed as vile if it were November for crying out loud.

Just looked at the meto update and more of the same into early August?

We have an absolutely disgusting climate, if you like seasonal weather your basically up the swanny here, its just a 12 month Autumn.

• Like 3

Posted

Really annoying we are under a strong SW wind atthe moment.. You'd  hope that the low pressures would be pushed further north.. The lows just seem to be running direct headed towards the UK.. Its like when  they come from east coast of America they have our name on them...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
35 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:
36 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

You just got to laugh really, todays weather would be classed as vile if it were November for crying out loud.

We have an absolutely disgusting climate, if you like seasonal weather your basically up the swanny here, its just a 12 month Autumn.

We have an absolutely dNice sunny and warmisgusting climate, if you like seasonal weather your basically up the swanny here, its just a 12 month Autumn.

Nice summers day down here today..in fact that's 2 in a row :)

Posted
10 hours ago, B87 said:

Every summer since 2007  has seen well below average sunshine (100 hrs or more from average). 2013 was above average by 4 hours, and 2014 by about 30 hours. We've had the 2 cloudiest Junes on record, the 9th cloudiest July, and the 2nd/3rd/5th/8th/10th cloudiest Augusts on record, all in the last 10 years!

Temperatures appear close to average entirely because of July 2013 and 2014, but most summers have been below average.

August has been over 1c below normal since 2007, compared to average.  The last time August had average or above average sunshine was in 2005.

The Met Office maps seem to suggest it's not that bad really. 2015 had about average sunshine, and 2014/2013 were more comfortably above average than that.

Fair enough 2007-2012 all look below average, but often only slightly (in the 85-95%) category, not well below, see the last 3 maps below.

I do think there may be something up with those Heathrow sunshine stats you've posted before if they suggest all years but two were well below average.

2015_14_Sunshine_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif2014_14_Sunshine_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif2013_14_Sunshine_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif 

2010_14_Sunshine_Anomaly_1971-2000.gif2009_14_Sunshine_Anomaly_1971-2000.gif2007_14_Sunshine_Anomaly_1971-2000.gif

2007-2012 was a bad rut of summers I agree (and last summer away from the SE), and this summer is getting annoying for me since I got back from North America, partly due to the lack of any real weather as well as lots of cloud. 

I just don't think it's as bad as some of the moaning portrays..

It's also a bit annoying when the local forecast portrays maxima of 19-21C (i.e average-slightly below) as pretty good, and a temp of 25C in the SE and 21C in the north is a news item on radio 2 as the warmest weekend for over a month.. must give visitors an even worse impression of our climate averages than is the reality.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Summer 2015 had the following.

June: 197 hrs  (average 204 hrs)

July: 190 hrs (average 212 hrs)

August: 134 hrs (average 205 hrs)

Total: 521 hrs (avg 621 hrs)

Summer 2013: Jun 158 hrs, Jul 268 hrs, Aug 199 hrs; total: 625 hrs

Summer 2014: Jun 220 hrs, Jul 246 hrs, Aug 184 hrs; total: 650 hrs

Every summer since 2007 has seen below average sunshine (621 hrs), except 2013 (625 hrs) and 2014 (650 hrs).  

Only 6 of the last 31 summer months have seen average or above average sunshine (Jun/Jul 2006, Jun 2010, Jul 2013, Jun/Jul 2014).

The hours listed above are after correction back to C/S values, as they have been recorded with a Kipp-Zonen sensor since 2005, which records around 10-15% higher than the Campbell Stokes.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Not a nice day at all,humid overcast,no this is one type of weather i really really hate,totally pointless just makes the working day harder and longer feeling,bring back the fresh breeze and blue sky any day.

• Like 1

Posted
On 07/06/2016 at 19:14, markyo said:

Looking like rest of june will be hit and miss for those chasing heat,very much like winter and the cold lovers. Early to make any proper predication but i would probably hedge my bet that we've seen the highest temps nationwide for this summer. Don't get me wrong local temps could top this easily top this but as for a sustained period of 25plus temps covering most areas i personally would bet against. Just a gut feeling with the way the mobility of the weather is becoming more and more unpredictable. Could be talking b******s though which i'm sure many on here would agree with!!

Here's hoping i was wrong,know how many crave the higher temps,just need that firming up of the models to prove i was as usual talking the B word,there should be a improvement in August fingers crossed how far this goes though is hard to say,again that old gut feeling but we'll see. But i still stand regarding the max as no sustained 25c temps over most of the uk,local yes,short term yes,but no heatwave this year. And as for part of the woods i'll still put my neck out at say the max has been reached for this year,long way to go i know but worth a punt!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, B87 said:

The hours listed above are after correction back to C/S values, as they have been recorded with a Kipp-Zonen sensor since 2005, which records around 10-15% higher than the Campbell Stokes.

Well, as 100 hours below average would be 16.1% below normal sunshine for summer (compared to +/- 5% of average on the 2015 map, and only about 5% below on other years), 29 hours above average for 2014 would be 4.7% above normal (compared to 15-25% above normal on that map), and 4 hours in 2013 would be 0.6% (compared to near 15% above normal on the map).. Heathrow must have been really unlucky through each summer on a local scale that those general anomaly maps don't pick up so well. 

Maybe it's all the heat from those aircraft causing cumulus buildup :wink:

Why this discrepancy I don't know, but all I am saying is it seems to exist.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I don't trust the Met Office maps. Church Fenton gets 1570 hours of sun but the Met Office maps suggest it gets between 1400 and 1500 hours. They also suggest London Heathrow gets between 1500 and 1600 even though it gets over 1600. Ditto with stations like Bristol Filton - gets 1627 hours of sun but Met Office maps suggest between 1500 and 1600).

Maybe their maps aren't very good at picking up local discrepancies. 

Edited by cheese

Posted

Disgusting night,so humid,now just wet and muggy...oh do i dream of those crisp winter mornings on a day like this,waking up refreshed and ready to go!

• Like 3

Posted
54 minutes ago, markyo said:

Disgusting night,so humid,now just wet and muggy...oh do i dream of those crisp winter mornings on a day like this,waking up refreshed and ready to go!

why do you keep going on about the humidity??? sure its  slightly muggy..But you make it sound like your in the amazon rainforest

• Like 1

Posted

why do you keep going on about the humidity??? sure its  slightly muggy..But you make it sound like your in the amazon rainforest

To me it is humid,it's just like people banging on about it feeling cold this summer, t me it's not been even the slightest cool this entire summer!!

• Like 2

Posted

Yes its not be a cold summer. Last summer was cold. we had  them nagging NW all the way from Greenland..we've had alot alot cloud  so far so its kept the temperatures  up.. Its not been exceedinly humid as you make out though.. 

Posted

Yes its not be a cold summer. Last summer was cold. we had  them nagging NW all the way from Greenland..we've had alot alot cloud  so far so its kept the temperatures  up.. Its not been exceedinly humid as you make out though.. 

Last summer was a lot warmer than this summer at this stage so far.

2015/2016

June: 22.2c / 20.6c

July: 23.7c / 21.6c so far

August: 22.2c / ???

Edited by B87

Posted

Found last summer warmer than the current one by some margin. Found this current spell humid,never said exceedingly just never find humidity of any degree enjoyable what so ever,pointless draining weather that just makes you more tired and with windows open at night hard to sleep due to traffic noise.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, B87 said:

Last summer was a lot warmer than this summer at this stage so far.

2015/2016

June: 22.2c / 20.6c

July: 23.7c / 21.6c so far

August: 22.2c / ???

Not here it wasnt.. was crap last year..

Posted

I take all these stats with a pinch of salt. I go with how things felt and it wasnt at all warm last summer in my location.. Its felt more comfortable this summer so far. Not hot obviously..Or even settled. Autumn strangely enough was the warmer season last year.. i know again the stats won't show it.. Just a personal opinion

Edited by weatherguru14

Posted
2 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

I take all these stats with a pinch of salt. I go with how things felt and it wasnt at all warm last summer in my location.. Its felt more comfortable this summer so far. Not hot obviously..Or even settled. Autumn strangely enough was the warmer season last year.. i know the again the stats won't show it.. Just a personal opinion

Probably because dew points have been higher this summer so far.  I remember the day of the EU referendum vote being mostly cloudy and 20-21c, but there was no wind and humidity was 100% at the time, giving a humidex of 27c.