Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
22 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I bet there will be some numpties up there in shorts and flip flops!

.. omg trampoline.. trampoline! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

GFS absolutely roasting and very humid next week. But as is often the case, there's nothing to make the atmosphere go bang. What a waste.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

GFS absolutely roasting and very humid next week. But as is often the case, there's nothing to make the atmosphere go bang. What a waste.

bit like when a northerly breaks down with a whimper for the south

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
3 hours ago, Nick L said:

It's been lovely the past few days, have you been locked in a dark room?!

And last summer was a good one for the south! Some folks in here really do have unrealistic expectations of the British summer, this one has been mediocre but it's been far from bad. If you can't sit outside comfortably without it being 30+ celsius then something isn't right.

Last summer had average temperatures, but was wet and cloudy.

Similar to 2009 here.

Posted
1 minute ago, weatherguru14 said:

Am starting to become sceptic these days. But how likely is the  heatwave and  the temperatures predicted for Friday onwards likely to happen?  showing in the 30s in places?   amazing if it comes off.

Pretty good model agreement so it's reasonably likely. Still plenty of time for change though.

Posted
10 minutes ago, B87 said:

Last summer had average temperatures, but was wet and cloudy.

Similar to 2009 here.

Not much wetter than normal for London...

2015_6_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif2015_7_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif2015_8_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif2015_14_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

And sunshine amounts were normal.

2015_6_Sunshine_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif2015_7_Sunshine_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif2015_8_Sunshine_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif2015_14_Sunshine_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Nice day today bright & comfortably cool, not looking forward to next week, would rather sit outside in temps of high teens to low 20's. High 20's upwards and to me it's just too hot to sit and bake like a potato:rofl: each to their own though I guess. Only saving grace is the nights are longer now & the sun slightly weaker so indoor temps should be slightly lower than early-mid July if the same weather pattern was to occur.

• Like 1

Posted

June had close to normal sun last year, but July was below and August was extremely cloudy.

Those maps do not show what was actually recorded very well.

Edited by B87

Posted
Just now, B87 said:

June had close to normal sun last year, but July was below and August was extremely cloudy.

June was sunnier than average. See above. Overall it was an average summer in terms of sunshine.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Nick L said:

June was sunnier than average. See above. Overall it was an average summer in terms of sunshine.

Heathrow had 197 (-8) hrs in June, 190 (-22) in July and 134 (-71!) in August. August was in the top 10 cloudiest ever, possibly even top 5.

Today has been cool and cloudy, high of 21c. I'm not too upset though, as we've had and will have some more normal August weather, plus a warm spell is on the way.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Hasn't this summer been an absolute shocker: too many thunderstorms, heavy showers; too much warm humidity, too many sleepless nights; and way too many days' averageness?

Roll on 2017!:cold::oops:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I like how those maps show an area of dullness over this area in June, July and August. It's in exactly the same location on all three maps. How bizarre. July was crap but the other two months didn't seem unusually cloudy.

Edited by cheese

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

I like how those maps show an area of dullness over this area in June, July and August. It's in exactly the same location on all three maps. How bizarre.

I thought you had an average August last year?

This summer will definitely end up cloudier than normal here; August will need to record about 320 hrs of sun just to break even.

Edited by B87

Posted
Just now, B87 said:

I thought you had an average August last year?

It was average, temperature-wise anyway and the nearest station that records sunshine had average values. I don't see why this small area of the country would be afflicted with anomalous dullness. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, cheese said:

It was average, temperature-wise anyway and the nearest station that records sunshine had average values. I don't see why this small area of the country would be afflicted with anomalous dullness. 

Must resist urge to make disparaging comment about Leeds...

• Like 1

Posted

August 2015 here was 1c below average, was the 3rd wettest on record, and the 5th cloudiest.

Luckily this year it seems we will have a much more typical August.

Edited by B87

Posted
6 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Must resist urge to make disparaging comment about Leeds...

Go ahead. Everyone is always so busy making disparaging comments about Liverpool and Birmingham. It's unfair they get all the attention. 

(Both are lovely cities btw)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
17 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Regarding June, it was a month rescued by the last week, I must admit the first 3 weeks were cool and pretty dull (A lot of cloudy spells from late morning to mid/late afternoon), the final week to 10 days was superb at least down the central/southern England with 25C hit every day and 30C broken on the final day of the month.

Anyway back on topic, some serious heat appearing on some operational runs but we need to see what type of ridge develops next week as we could easily see an easterly element to the pattern which could cap the heat somewhat to around 30C maximum, the 12z GFS is probably the hottest run I have seen since I started looking at model outputs back in 2012. Surely we won't get a spell which could get close to August 2003.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Absolutely stunning 12z GFS with a good 4 days with temps in the 90's and chances of thunderstorms. Bank!!

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted

Haha, as I say that the EC comes out far cooler than the GFS for Monday and Tuesday. Nevertheless, still has temperatures into the mid-20s so very usable weather just with less discomfort! Wednesday still looking pretty hot in the east though.

I'm definitely on Team ECM tonight.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Haha, as I say that the EC comes out far cooler than its predecessor and the GFS for Monday and Tuesday. Nevertheless, still has temperatures into the mid-20s so very usable weather just with less discomfort! Wednesday still looking pretty hot in the east though.

I'm definitely on Team ECM tonight.

What the GFS over cooked things, never. :rofl:

Posted

The ECM then sweeps out the brief plume far quicker than the GFS too. Interesting times.

• Like 1