Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 03/05/2016

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 6z op run shows us entering a cooler n / nwly sunshine and showers regime later this week and throughout the weekend into the start of next week and some of the showers will be heavy with hail and thunder but the good news about this run is it has some warm / very warm spells in it too with occasional high pressure / ridging and even some thundery humid days but the overall pattern remains changeable / unsettled with some cool breezy and rainy days too but as I said, there is warmth, especially further south..I've seen worse!:)

ukprec.png

ukmaxtemp.png

hgt500-1000.png

h500slp.png

h500slp.png

ukmaxtemp (1).png

ukprec (1).png

h500slp (1).png

ukmaxtemp (2).png

ukmaxtemp (3).png

hgt500-1000 (1).png

hgt500-1000 (2).png

ukmaxtemp (4).png

ukprec (2).png

ukmaxtemp (5).png

hgt500-1000 (3).png

• Like 3

Posted

I've used 8th August as my template to give an idea of what the GEFS 6z mean and perturbations are generally indicating for that period and it does look encouraging with a more robust Azores ridge in place over most of the uk. The 6z perturbations around that date show quite a few anticyclonic scenarios, some centred slap bang over the uk. In no way am I saying this will happen, there are some unsettled runs too but there continues to be a trend for some type of warm settled spell within that period which may be stronger than shown or may be just a transient ridge but it's one to watch as most of us are hoping for a decent August!:)

21_288_500mb.png

0_288_500mb.png

4_288_500mb.png

6_288_500mb.png

9_288_500mb.png

11_288_500mb.png

14_288_500mb.png

16_288_500mb.png

17_288_500mb.png

20_288_500mb.png

• Like 2

Posted

ECM extended ensembles: A reasonable cluster going for a slightly warmer patch 4-8th August (and, to be fair, a number that don't).

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

(note this chart will be out of date by tomorrow morning)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Yes i was just looking at those MWB.

Really no signs yet of any real change into the new month to our typical UK Summer outlook-better further south and east as usual in this pattern.

The Azores high again shown to occasionally poke his nose this way but the omni-present Icelandic trough continues to suppress any prolonged settled conditions from extending north for too long.

The day 10 mean jet and surface pressure pattern still shows it's influence-GFS 06z illustrates this quite well, and the 00z ECM mean chart with the heights at 500hPa and surface underlining the expected picture.

day 10 jet.pngecm500.240.png

As we have seen so far there will be some decent weather about with sufficient warmth to enjoy outdoor activities but in this broadly westerly pattern expect some fronts- sometimes weakening as they come south east- to move across the country. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, phil nw. said:

Yes i was just looking at those MWB.

Really no signs yet of any real change into the new month to our typical UK Summer outlook-better further south and east as usual in this pattern.

The Azores high again shown to occasionally poke his nose this way but the omni-present Icelandic trough continues to suppress any prolonged settled conditions from extending north for too long.

The day 10 mean jet and surface pressure pattern still shows it's influence-GFS 06z illustrates this quite well, and the 00z ECM mean chart with the heights at 500hPa and surface underlining the expected picture.

day 10 jet.pngecm500.240.png

As we have seen so far there will be some decent weather about with sufficient warmth to enjoy outdoor activities but in this broadly westerly pattern expect some fronts- sometimes weakening as they come south east- to move across the country. 

I honestly think the GEFS is on to something for the early to mid August period, the reason I say that is Exeter have again mentioned the chance of a fine and increasingly warm spell by the end of next week (the first August weekend) they are very cautious about it, and rightly so, duration is unclear but they don't expect a lengthy settled spell but mogreps / Ec32 must be indicating something better in that timeframe and the extended outlook further into August sounds decent by this summers standards...fingers crossed. :- )

Edited by Karl.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

UKMO looks slightly different this evening, low pressure making inroads at 144 hours. In fact it's so different to GFS at the same timeframe, I don't know what to believe! There's a 10mb pressure difference in the south (1025mb on the GFS, 1015mb on the UKMO) so I think it's safe to say the models aren't handling this especially well again...

Posted
19 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

UKMO looks slightly different this evening, low pressure making inroads at 144 hours. In fact it's so different to GFS at the same timeframe, I don't know what to believe! There's a 10mb pressure difference in the south (1025mb on the GFS, 1015mb on the UKMO) so I think it's safe to say the models aren't handling this especially well again...

I just thought I should add the charts you mentioned for the benefit of folk who for any reason can't access them.

Rukm1441.gif

Rtavn1441.gif

Rtavn1681.gif

Edited by Karl.
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, knocker said:

Those charts can be a little deceptive. The last one for example

gfs_6hr_precip_eur3_29.png

Indeed knocker, I should have checked that before I posted it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I'd say those charts can be just as deceptive - as the pressure increments are 2mb instead of the standard 5mb, they make it look like it's going to be blowing a gale!

Posted
6 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I'd say those charts can be just as deceptive - as the pressure increments are 2mb instead of the standard 5mb, they make it look like it's going to be blowing a gale!

I just meant they do not show the full picture. I'm sure people can take into account pressure increments when looking at charts, particularly on a weather forum. And where did you get the standard 5mbs from as the METO use 4mb.?

Edited by knocker

Posted

The Gfs 12z op run shows some settled and warm weather between unsettled spells. the end of next week shows a window of more pleasant weather for the s /se especially and then later in the run there is a general improvement with the jetstream pushed further north..much better ending than the 6z op which finished very unsettled and cool.

h500slp.png

ukmaxtemp.png

ukprec.png

h500slp (1).png

ukmaxtemp (1).png

ukprec (1).png

h500slp (2).png

ukprec (2).png

ukmaxtemp (2).png

ukmaxtemp (3).png

h500slp (3).png

h500slp (4).png

h500slp (5).png

ukmaxtemp (4).png

hgt300.png

Edited by Karl.
  • Like 1

Posted

The GEFS 12z mean is showing a considerable improvement by the first August weekend which lasts into the following week with a stronger Azores ridge bringing increasingly settled and warmer weather to most areas. Hopefully this trend will continue to firm up and upgrade in duration but for now, it's a light at the end of the tunnel, early next week looks briefly better for the s / se as a weak ridge pushes east but my hopes are on what happens towards the end of next week which is a period the met office also indicate the possibility of a fine and warmer period commencing.

21_120_500mb.png

21_144_500mb.png

21_168_500mb.png

21_240_500mb.png

21_240_850tmp.png

21_264_500mb.png

21_264_850tmp.png

21_288_500mb.png

• Like 2

Posted

no significant change in the overall pattern with the GEFs anomalies this evening. The usual caveat applies that the phasing of the LP and HP could easily initiate, when in the HP more influential phase, more Azores ridging and thus warmer and drier weather for a time, more particularly in the south. But in this mobile pattern it does throw up a new scenario tonight with height rises in the western Atlantic in the 10-15 day period. This would not be good news as it would bring the weak trough more into play and certainly keep the temp around average. Fortunately the pattern is quite fluid so a very good chance this evolution will not be maintained.

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.pnggefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.pnggefs_z500a_nh_51.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
42 minutes ago, Karl. said:

The GEFS 12z mean is showing a considerable improvement by the first August weekend which lasts into the following week with a stronger Azores ridge bringing increasingly settled and warmer weather to most areas. Hopefully this trend will continue to firm up and upgrade in duration but for now, it's a light at the end of the tunnel, early next week looks briefly better for the s / se as a weak ridge pushes east but my hopes are on what happens towards the end of next week which is a period the met office also indicate the possibility of a fine and warmer period commencing.

21_120_500mb.png

21_144_500mb.png

21_168_500mb.png

21_240_500mb.png

21_240_850tmp.png

21_264_500mb.png

21_264_850tmp.png

21_288_500mb.png

Agree,possible trend,others have also commented,think next 48/72hrs should firm it up if it is true.

Posted
15 minutes ago, markyo said:

Agree,possible trend,others have also commented,think next 48/72hrs should firm it up if it is true.

Fingers crossed markyo, day after day the GEFS is showing it x 3 so hopefully it's going to keep firming up. I and I'm sure most of us want a good August.

Posted

A promising end to a changeable / unsettled Ecm 12z run with high pressure to the southwest gradually building in across the uk by T+240.

240_mslp500.png

• Like 2

Posted

After the influence of the showery north westerly from the low pressure to the NE over the weekend wanes the ecm has brief ridging until Wednesday when a low zooms in from the west bringing wet and windy weather to all. This quite rapidly clears reintroducing the ridge which hangs on, particularly in the south, as the next system tracks more to the north and by the end of the run the later is over Oslo with a ridge just to the west of the UK. Temps a little below average becoming average.

ecm_mslp_uv850_natl_8.pngecm_t850a_5d_natl_11.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted

I commented yesterday how there were some encouraging signs for the D10-D15 period - here's the graph for the past 4 GEFS runs for London:

graphe3_1001_306_141___Londres.gif

Still signs of promise but a tad weaker than at this stage yesterday. Yes, still that potential for that super-hot run, with a number of runs topping 15C at 850Hpa and even a few above 20C - always notable when appearing at that range - but I'd say slightly fewer runs in the 10-15C range compared with last night, and the mean is a little down. 

The general thrust of a height rise in our part of the Atlantic is still on, and many ensemble members are still crackers (thanks Karl for highlighting this) - but the main reason for the very slight downturn is a few more naughty runs which manage to squeeze a trough in between height rises immediately to our west and to our east. Having said that, these are precisely the patterns that bring the mega-heat our way when slightly to our west. So a bit of a "risk/reward" board as we see things for D10 onwards tonight. But looking likely that the flat pattern will be mixed-up by the weekend after next.

To be continued!

EDIT - I see Meteociel has a new feature (or at least I hadn't spotted it before) - probabilities of a scenario happening - have a scroll through the timeframes after T192 and you can see how the warmer air infiltrates the UK (link: http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?ech=192&code=0&mode=31&carte=&proba=1). Below are charts for T192 and T252 - you can see how the warmer air has [potentially!] encroached northwards:

gensprob-31-192.png

gensprob-31-252.png

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, Tamara said:

best make the most of those more settled interludes which will come along from time to time.

Agreed Tamara, lovely post again by the way.

I think it's clear that this summer isn't going to become wonderful, e.g.. not expecting an August like 1995 but your last sentence sums it up in a nutshell really.:)

• Like 2

Posted

Great post Tamara:) looking longer term can't wait till this Azores high weakens after Summer, splits off and hopefully crosses the Uk's region, maybe September onwards as the Siberian High strengthens.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
24 minutes ago, Karl. said:

Fingers crossed markyo, day after day the GEFS is showing it x 3 so hopefully it's going to keep firming up. I and I'm sure most of us want a good August.

Yep totally agree,i dislike hot weather but August is the most important month of the whole year for so many,holidays and trade associated,much more so than in the winter. Me thinks many eyes will be watching forecasts in the next week or so. Just myself hope that the humidity stays low,that's the part i hate!

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

The general thrust of a height rise in our part of the Atlantic is still on, and many ensemble members are still crackers (thanks Karl for highlighting this) 

No problem:)

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, markyo said:

Yep totally agree,i dislike hot weather but August is the most important month of the whole year for so many,holidays and trade associated,much more so than in the winter. Me thinks many eyes will be watching forecasts in the next week or so. Just myself hope that the humidity stays low,that's the part i hate!

Yes for a pleasant warm spell we need this for August 7/8 instead of the hot/ possibly humid Spanish plume. 

image.png

Edited by Matthew Wilson