Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 01/09/2016

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 6z mean shows our high gradually drawn north-westwards from around  T+ 144 /168 hours onwards and at the same time, a trough slipping down into Scandinavia which enables polar / arctic air to dig down across the uk turning our weather increasingly unsettled and colder..this looks very similar to the 00z mean so no downgrade. The mean doesn't tell you how potent the cold shot will be but it gives you a general idea of where our weather will be coming from in just over a weeks time and it looks like it will be from the north with high pressure building north in the atlantic and a robust looking scandi trough.:cold-emoji: 

21_168_500mb.png

21_192_500mb.png

21_216_500mb.png

21_240_500mb.png

21_264_500mb.png

21_288_500mb.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, Frosty. said:

A note of caution for coldies from the Gem 00z, not enough retrogression means the high stays over the uk before sinking south and allowing the atlantic over the top.

GEMOPEU00_192_1.png

GEMOPEU00_216_1.png

GEMOPEU00_240_1.png

Never rated the GEM. It is wrong far, far more often than it is right at that timescale so I wouldn't worry too much. I don't even bother looking at it these days.

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Never rated the GEM. It is wrong far, far more often than it is right at that timescale so I wouldn't worry too much. I don't even bother looking at it these days.

I certainly hope the Gem is wrong, we know we can get snow in late october, even in London as we did in 2008. :D

CFSR_1_2008102818_1.png

CFSR_1_2008103118_2.png

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

I certainly hope the Gem is wrong, we know we can get snow in late october, even in London as we did in 2008. :D

CFSR_1_2008102818_1.png

CFSR_1_2008103118_2.png

Indeed :) I remember that early cold shot very well. 

• Like 2

Posted

As you would expect with the mean looking like this, there are an increasing number of chilly looking GEFS 6z perturbations in various timeframes in early november..could be a cold bonfire night this year!:D

21_276_850tmp.png

0_288_850tmp.png

2_294_850tmp.png

5_294_850tmp.png

6_300_850tmp.png

7_348_850tmp.png

12_294_850tmp.png

20_288_850tmp.png

• Like 5

Posted

If we are going to Profit from at E/NE flow later in Nov and Dec we need a cold Northern Europe and Scandinavia, that is definitely one of the benefits from the forecast cool down early Nov - Scandinavia looks like its heading for an early "big freeze" starting late next week.

• Like 6

Posted

In the meantime could be quite a wet and windy day for Scotland on Thursday before the ducking and diving starts at the beginning of next week.

gfs_6hr_precip_eur2_17.pnggfs_z500a_natl_33.pnggfs_t850a_natl_33.png

Interesting to note that the energy emanating from Canada tending to disrupt the block south of Greenland on the above chart is in one way and another continued during the run. It's all quite messy and considering the time frame and just this evening's run not worth bothering about at the moment but eyes will have to be peeled looking for indications of where we are going with this.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bryan629 said:

Spread even less with todays update and much more tightly packed... plus dropping to -4 values too .. Mr Vortex taking it on the chin for been a bad boy last winter :D

ao.sprd2.gif

Cheers yes I saw them in the gym-

The execution of the 12z & its total coverage of the pole in high pressure with 3 main areas of low pressure around mid lattitudes means that for November 1st which coincides with the optimum low point of the next phase of the negative AO means that the 1st day reading could be -5 AO

i will whizz through & check the records...

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Good agreement at just day 6 - the changes are now creeping into the reliable timeframe.

ECH1-144.GIF.pnggfsnh-0-144.pngUN144-21.GIF

All of the big 3 models agree on the ridging towards Greenland, and a very wounded vortex.

• Like 2

Posted

Frosts for sure up North, even by the end of Oct. -4/-5 could be poss in Scotland i would think.

• Like 2

Posted

The Gem 12z is now going for retrogression of the high with a scandi trough which is a big upgrade compared to its 00z which showed very limited retrograde with the high remaining over the uk before sinking south allowing the atlantic to flow over the top..this run is much more in tune with the current trend..to cold.:)

GEMOPEU12_168_1.png

GEMOPEU12_192_1.png

GEMOPEU12_216_2.png

GEMOPEU12_240_2.png

• Like 8

Posted

The GEFS 6-10 anomaly illustrates the upper pattern very well with the retrogression of the European high pressure NW eliminating the Greenland low and connecting to the Russian ridge. Not forgetting the strong Aleutian low and continuing WAA into the Arctic. The evolution from this position this evening is to mid Atlantic ridging with a Scandinavian trough which would indicate a cool NW upper flow after a brief colder interlude with winds in the northerly quadrant during the transition period. None of this is of course a done deal

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.pnggefs_t850a_5d_nh_41.pnggefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.png

• Like 4

Posted

Looking at the gets anomolys I begin to wonder if the Euro anomoly isn't modelled quite right then we could see a west based -NAO develop at some point once the greeny ridging develops. the ECM 12z op brings this early on at day 8. Much easier to cope with these kind of model evolutions when the stakes are so low! 

• Like 4

Posted
16 minutes ago, Matthew Wilson said:

The ECM keeps the warmer upper-airs for Friday-Sunday with HP in charge. What happens next is another story?

How about the energy sneaking out of Canada running south of the Greenland HP having more of an influence. First indicated  by the GFS as mentioned above.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

The GEFS 12z mean still going with the high heading north-westwards towards Iceland / greenland with lowering heights to the NE which introduces a relatively much colder Nly / NNEly airflow down across the uk.

21_168_500mb.png

21_192_500mb.png

21_216_500mb.png

21_240_500mb.png

21_264_500mb.png

21_288_500mb.png

• Like 3

Posted

ECM goes down a different route - the energy coming across the Atlantic diverts the Northerly outbreak westward and we get left in higher uppers. Just a reminder for how finely balanced things can be for us, even with GHs and HLBs. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Greenland high's can be real teasers as has been pointed out in previous posts.Too far west such as shown in the later ECM frames and we are on the south side of cyclonic activity and in the milder westerlies.

Not really a big deal at this early stage and liable to change in future runs but something to be aware of if new to chart watching.Yes the Aleutian vortex is already quite extensive and seems to be the major feature which is continuing to drive warm air north over the Canadian/Greenland Arctic weakening the vortex on the Atlantic side. 

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 5

Posted

I agree Phil, it's not that big of a deal at this time of year whether we tap into the early cold or not but the charts are interestingly poised and it could go either way..I also agree with BA.:)

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1