Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 1st September 2016 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

ok here is my personal take on the weather this winter.....having been in the mad thread for the past couple of days and weeks, the movement to colder weather i.e coats is nearly upon us. this year is different to what we have seen in the past on netweather in my honest opinion.

1) no major raging vortex has set itself up. yes its early November but it cant get a hold.

2) Greenland is hotter than usual as is the western parts of Canada and America. Nothing has been chucked into the freezer yet.

3) the jet stream is fragmented and split to say the least. and it is not on the usual track and if you watch over sat and sunday it goes on a little holiday.

4) the snow cover, covered here in the forum shows probably the best snow advance since 2010.

I love stormy weather but my true love is the quietness snow brings. I hope I am right. I have gleaned this from knowledgeable people and watching and learning.

Whatever happens lets enjoy the quieter autumn as the previous storms over the years led to a rubbish winter

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

It was cold this morning. But lovely bright sunshine now, but that won't fool me.

It will still be cooollldddd.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Quite warm out, despite the frosty start, no vile westerlies, Stainsbloke must be happy.

46 minutes ago, Jimmyh said:

ok here is my personal take on the weather this winter.....having been in the mad thread for the past couple of days and weeks, the movement to colder weather i.e coats is nearly upon us. this year is different to what we have seen in the past on netweather in my honest opinion.

1) no major raging vortex has set itself up. yes its early November but it cant get a hold.

2) Greenland is hotter than usual as is the western parts of Canada and America. Nothing has been chucked into the freezer yet.

3) the jet stream is fragmented and split to say the least. and it is not on the usual track and if you watch over sat and sunday it goes on a little holiday.

4) the snow cover, covered here in the forum shows probably the best snow advance since 2010.

I love stormy weather but my true love is the quietness snow brings. I hope I am right. I have gleaned this from knowledgeable people and watching and learning.

Whatever happens lets enjoy the quieter autumn as the previous storms over the years led to a rubbish winter

I think from that summary, a long cold winter is approaching:cold:

Posted

So I get a bill today or i shall i say hubs got a bill, for bubs attending one after school club. Please note it would also be the charge for a 'late' pickup. The bill date is the first Monday of the school year and I know for a fact I was 10 minutes early because I had to wait for the School gate to open. It's also rainbows night, so I make sure we are home in timely fashion for food and rest before an hour of running around. This is not good. Also got the 3rd letter about using bubs on social media which i have filled in twice. same poxy letter.  It gets put in her bag stays there for 2 days goes and 3 weeks later i have to fill it in again. This is not good.

Seems my parents evening will be as chilly as the day. Oh yes it feels like winter is coming.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, lassie23 said:

woolen t-shirt weather

Cotton Traders...:yahoo:

Posted

T-shirt weather it is blimin' well not...

Hmmm I'm going opposite.

I'm not buying non of this cold currently everyone in the mad thread is getting excited over a little bit of air frost (damn winters have been warm!) 

The reason for theory is that mother nature and weather has a tendency to balance itself out. For instances when one place is dry (like we have been for months) other places are very wet  (central Europe has had some nasty rainfall in the past few months)

Next, you got all that Atlantic energy sitting out there and warmth etc just festering out west. As soon as the cold plunges south over America that jet is going to fire up big time.

When was the last time you can remember a quiet autumn like this? 

So.. December - mild and wet/windy 

January - mild - stormy - cold end 

February cold start - mild end into March 

This is guess, but I'm not buying a cold winter this time, I think mother nature is playing games.

Hope I'm wrong!!!!

Fireworks night weather - cold, calm and dry GAME ON

• Like 1

Posted

Just come back from an amazing parents evening, been given work that is for year 3/4 because bubs has almost surpassed what she needs to know at the end of year two, and she's not a whole term into year one. *insert proud mummy moment*

Bit of red in the sky tonight and you know what they say about red sky.

red sky at night woolly hats delight

red sky in the morning booties need warming.

It is too cold for a t-shirt I tell ya. Even hubs had his big winter coat on.

I have waited almost a year to wear my woolly hat and nothings gonna stop me.

It's nippy out there and the gritters will be out tonight.

so there:hi:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

An air frost here to start on what has been a lovely fresh and sunny day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Ice starting to form on the cars this evening here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
6 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Quite warm out, despite the frosty start, no vile westerlies, Stainsbloke must be happy.

I think from that summary, a long cold winter is approaching:cold:

Yes Lassie, have to say Autumn so far has been quite pleasant for the most part. This week has been great with the mists and fogs and Monday was an absolute belter with all that sunshine. Beats Atlantic muck any day! Here's to a calmer and chillier winter than recent ones. Am happy Bonfire Night looks dry. Harvested my butternut squash this week as it looks frosty this weekend.

IMG_3930.JPG

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes Lassie, have to say Autumn so far has been quite pleasant for the most part. This week has been great with the mists and fogs and Monday was an absolute belter with all that sunshine. Beats Atlantic muck any day! Here's to a calmer and chillier winter than recent ones. Am happy Bonfire Night looks dry...

Managed to sort the garden out the weather was that good. Everything is finished apart from the carrots.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

Managed to sort the garden out the weather was that good. Everything is finished apart from the carrots.

Did you get any melons ripening? Managed one here, delicious. Will be making lots of butternut soup this weekend and need to pull the carrots and beetroot. 

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Did you get any melons ripening? Managed one here, delicious. Will be making lots of butternut soup this weekend and need to pull the carrots and beetroot. 

Watermelons didn't get past peas size lol, can't believe you got a ripe one:good:

Posted
Just now, lassie23 said:

Watermelons didn't get past peas size lol, can't believe you got a ripe one:good:

Only got one ripe one as it was in the greenhouse and not a watermelon lol. Better luck next year? 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Only got one ripe one as it was in the greenhouse and not a watermelon lol. Better luck next year? 

Going to need a greenhouse or three months of temps in the high thirties. Honeydew melon? Impressive butternut squash btw

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Going to need a greenhouse or three months of temps in the high thirties. Honeydew melon? Impressive butternut squash btw

Yes the honeydew ones might be better, my neighbour managed 20 full grown ones outside, grown through that black landscape fabric. Think she said they were the variety 'Emir'. Am looking forward to sampling the butternuts :) The plants sulked all through June and the first half of July, so I'm happy with what they eventually went on to produce. Good soup weather coming up...

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes the honeydew ones might be better, my neighbour managed 20 full grown ones outside, grown through that black landscape fabric. Think she said they were the variety 'Emir'. Am looking forward to sampling the butternuts :) The plants sulked all through June and the first half of July, so I'm happy with what they eventually went on to produce. Good soup weather coming up...

For once August helped you out:good:Thanks for the melon info, i will try honeydews next summer, probably get frost in July next year:rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Got down to -2.6C at some stage overnight here, but had risen to -1C by 07.00 with a grey sky (maybe patchy fog lifted?).

Looking at Arpege, it's not looking too bad for Bonfire night around our Region, although a stiff northerly breeze might make rocket launches near the coast a little tricky! But away from the coasts it's looking like less wind, clear skies and temps down to 4C or 5C by 19.00. :)

Gusts Arpege Gusts Sat 05 Nov 19.00.png Cloud Arpege Cloud Cover Sat 05 Nov 19.00.png Temps Arpege Temps Sat 05 Nov 19.00.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Been a nice few cool mornings now, no frost here as yet though, low temp was 3.3 yesterday and 2.7 today. Hading in the right direction though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Another lovely morning . Sunny light winds , crisp and the frost melting away. Look forward to a few more of these days going in to winter . Hopefully with the Thames frozen over and some nice long lasting snow under foot . One can dream eh.

• Like 1