Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere temperature watch - 2016/17

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Jason Furtado is certainly not a troll - well respected Professor of Meteorology. The Aleutian low is a starter pistol for wave driving into the stratosphere hence the discussion around losing that to an Aleutian High and different impacts. The Wave Activity Flux plot is not dissimilar from the one you will see posted from time to time by Judan Cohen.  

A few seasons back we had a Kamchatka ridge - the K ridge that dictated the NH set up - the Aleutian ridge is cranking in with serious MB potential and has the potential to do the same. Will be of interest to see how it plays out given the already bashed up vortex.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
1 hour ago, Singularity said:

That heat flux chart contrasts greatly with what Lorenzo posted earlier, and indeed what's generally expected by pros as a result of the poleward ridge.

That he uses 40-80 instead of 30-80 might have something to do with it? Also the lack of mention of the poleward ridge and likely disruptive effect on the tropospheric vortex makes me suspect he's either poorly informed or carrying out a bit of trolling activity. Then again I don't know who he is so I might be insulting an expert in the field for all I know :unknw::shok: (in which case I apologize... IF my other points are also wrong :ninja:).

He's a co-author on a few Cohen papers, e.g. 

http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/v7/n9/abs/ngeo2234.html

But I've seen them engage on twitter a couple of times, and it appears they are no longer entirely simpatico.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
12 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Jason Furtado is certainly not a troll - well respected Professor of Meteorology. The Aleutian low is a starter pistol for wave driving into the stratosphere hence the discussion around losing that to an Aleutian High and different impacts. The Wave Activity Flux plot is not dissimilar from the one you will see posted from time to time by Judan Cohen.  

A few seasons back we had a Kamchatka ridge - the K ridge that dictated the NH set up - the Aleutian ridge is cranking in with serious MB potential and has the potential to do the same. Will be of interest to see how it plays out given the already bashed up vortex.

Thanks for clearing that up Lorenzo, my apologies to Furtado if by any chance he comes across this discussion.

Still a bit puzzled by the WAFz plots looking so different to one another though?

Posted
29 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Not exactly the same but not to dissimilar either:

ECH1-216.GIF?27-0archivesnh-1962-12-9-0-0.png

Posted

Looking at the recent height charts for the upper strat, it seems that the idea the vortex will begin to twist further anti-clockwise and drift towards Alaska is gaining some traction - in conjunction with the high Canadian anomoly heading east into the Atlantic as a consequence 

the upcoming set up of elongated trough parallel to the meridian followed by blocking over Greenland/e Canada/ Svalbard to follow is a strat imprint that we would do well to see heading down to the trop! 

• Like 3

Posted
22 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Some marked changes late on in yesterday's 12z ECM op, now the berlin data is through. as it's late on, we'll leave it until tomorrow to see if it repeats. 

Is the marked change good or bad? Is it showing a strengthening PV?

Posted

npsh500.png

Just look at that ridge on the Pacific side near/across the Aleutians... it's stronger than in previous runs and ties in with the increased wave activity and progress toward a split vortex at least at the lower levels and perhaps mid-levels too.

Often these Arctic highs are brought on a bit too quickly as a response to changes in tropical forcing, but on the other hand they are sometimes overlooked and/or under-cooked until quite short range. So it's difficult to second-guess the models on this. ECM fancies a strong high more toward Alaska but with similar impacts down the line (if perhaps a little slower).

Given the signs we have for low pressure to focus in the western N. Atlantic during the run-up to the proposed vortex split, with cold air across the NE of N. America, if we can see the troposphere follow the lower stratosphere, some deeply cold air can transfer to N. Eurasia with the weaker daughter vortex to 'load the cannon' ready for HLB centred N/NW of the UK to fire it west. 

It can do that, but will it? If only we could be sure!

• Like 3

Posted

Great update, thanks GP :good:

Regarding the Indo-Pacific forcing...

am_ir_monthly_1.gifEMON_phase_51m_small.gif

Is that a CC Kelvin Wave crossing the Pacific at the moment? Linked perhaps to the models showing the La Nina easing off. Could that also be distorting the Hendon-Wheeler MJO plots in a way that reduces the amplitude shown relative to 4/5/6?

Cheers :hi:

• Like 1

The suggested split vortex in long range is an imprint of the tropospheric pattern upon the stratosphere vortex which shows little distortion with height hence little warming. Intensification is the default because of cooling during the polar night in the absence of sufficient disturbance. Forecast MERRA 10mb 60-90°N temperatures for 6/12/16 would suggest a statistical chance of a classic SSW of no more than ~25% within 21 days, indeed it is the average temp 59 days prior to SSW.

edit: and with latest GFS, long range troposphere geopotential height pattern changes so split vanishes *poof*

Edited by Interitus

Posted

The GFS 12z is a bit of an oddball with the placement of the strong ridge on the Pacific side, out of step with recent trends and GEFS.

So I view it with great suspicion!

• Like 1

Posted

Berlin charts picking up the inevitable uptick in wave 2 (courtesy of the ridging both sides of the NH) 

note that the zonal flow high up is pushed further north into higher  latitudes  for the second day running.  It doesn't seem to be intensifying though as wave activity continues to disrupt. point being that you should expect to see zonal flow at 60N looking less healthy from a weak strat perspective.  At This juncture, with the wave activity continuing, it might be a good thing to see that prior to any split occurring if the wave two persists. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather

This from Cohen's latest blog which I would agree with in respect of how the stratosphere - troposphere will interplay during the coming few weeks..

"If the WAFz does remain relatively quiet I believe that for the first time in a while the troposphere can settle into a more stable large-scale pattern, consistent with the PV disruption, for an extended period lasting several weeks.  Key gross features include northerly flow out of the Arctic directed at Northern Europe, troughing over Siberia, ridging in the eastern North Pacific with downstream troughing over North America.   It is harder to anticipate the details that will be important in determining the sensible weather in Western and Central Europe and the Eastern US.   However, if the pattern is progressive (moving to the east) this will likely favor colder temperatures in the Eastern US relative to Europe while a retrograding (moving to the west) pattern will favor colder temperatures in Europe relative to the Eastern US.  Also if the long-wave pattern starts to rotate then the WAFz could become more active and potentially lead to a significant rearranging of the large-scale wave pattern across the NH."

https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation 

Beyond the culmination of the autumn blocking phase (should mature in the mid stratosphere during mid / early December), I suspect we will see a cooling in the upper and mid stratospheric layers as we loose favourable WAFz patterns. Zonal winds should increase at these levels.

However, as I Cohen notes, that should pave the way for the downwelling of negative zonal winds currently in the mid and lower stratospheric layers. There is therefore likely to be disconnect between the lower stratosphere and mid and upper layers. Some very good examples of this..

time_pres_UGRD_ANOM_ALL_NH_2009 (2).jpgtime_pres_UGRD_ANOM_ALL_NH_1985 (2).jpgtime_pres_UGRD_ANOM_ALL_NH_1995 (2).jpg

There is a almost a tangible tightening of the troposheric blocking signal as the stratospheric blocking signal matures and fades. So analysis of stratospheric temperatures and zonal winds may not be wholly useful in the coming weeks - it's more about what the troposphere does in response to downwelling and other drivers.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Hi GP,

I assume this a good thing, and re-enforces the likelihood of Northern blocking in our neck of the woods? 

Posted
1 hour ago, Glacier Point said:

This from Cohen's latest blog which I would agree with in respect of how the stratosphere - troposphere will interplay during the coming few weeks..

"If the WAFz does remain relatively quiet I believe that for the first time in a while the troposphere can settle into a more stable large-scale pattern, consistent with the PV disruption, for an extended period lasting several weeks.  Key gross features include northerly flow out of the Arctic directed at Northern Europe, troughing over Siberia, ridging in the eastern North Pacific with downstream troughing over North America.   It is harder to anticipate the details that will be important in determining the sensible weather in Western and Central Europe and the Eastern US.   However, if the pattern is progressive (moving to the east) this will likely favor colder temperatures in the Eastern US relative to Europe while a retrograding (moving to the west) pattern will favor colder temperatures in Europe relative to the Eastern US.  Also if the long-wave pattern starts to rotate then the WAFz could become more active and potentially lead to a significant rearranging of the large-scale wave pattern across the NH."

https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation 

Beyond the culmination of the autumn blocking phase (should mature in the mid stratosphere during mid / early December), I suspect we will see a cooling in the upper and mid stratospheric layers as we loose favourable WAFz patterns. Zonal winds should increase at these levels.

However, as I Cohen notes, that should pave the way for the downwelling of negative zonal winds currently in the mid and lower stratospheric layers. There is therefore likely to be disconnect between the lower stratosphere and mid and upper layers. Some very good examples of this..

time_pres_UGRD_ANOM_ALL_NH_2009 (2).jpgtime_pres_UGRD_ANOM_ALL_NH_1985 (2).jpgtime_pres_UGRD_ANOM_ALL_NH_1995 (2).jpg

There is a almost a tangible tightening of the troposheric blocking signal as the stratospheric blocking signal matures and fades. So analysis of stratospheric temperatures and zonal winds may not be wholly useful in the coming weeks - it's more about what the troposphere does in response to downwelling and other drivers.

I think one of the problem's this year is that the overal scenario is 'up in the air', crudely put and no pun intended, that an array of different comments and forecasts continue to crop up. That is one of the difficulties myself and Tony had when looking at the strat and how it may well play out. A few weeks back, when it really was 'under attack' we thought that the coming weeks may well signal an SSW, but clearly that isn't to be the case, with the GEFS from Hanna Attards site, for example, doing a complete turn around. Depending on who you ask you seem to get a different answer as to how the SPV will influence the coming weeks. As you rightly say, once the downwelling begins then it may well aid in northern blocking, but IMO it seems a fine line to walk to be looking at a vortex that may return to its normal position and then potentially strengthen.

Whilst some background signals are clearly unlikely to change I have a feeling the SPV will be a particular unknown in the coming weeks in terms of how it will behave and how it may or many not influence things within the troposphere.

Matt.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
1 hour ago, Glacier Point said:

So analysis of stratospheric temperatures and zonal winds may not be wholly useful in the coming weeks - it's more about what the troposphere does in response to downwelling and other drivers.

Well - there's an encouraging post if ever I read one. Cleverly done Stewart.

Standard impact in time scales would appear to stretch from 1 - 2 months looking at the examples you have provided. Given that the vortex is already so heavily impacted will the lag time be longer or shorter than usual before downwelling impacts? And do you think the impacts will be longer lived as 2009 or shorter as per 1995? I'm at the limit of my understanding in trying to project potential timescales.

Also - if it isn't barred by your contract - do you see a retrograde or a progressive signal in the long wave pattern? Again I'm at the limit of my knowledge and unsure what seasonal wavelengths in December might do under the current setup.... but am I right in supposing that a spike in AAM would encourage retrograde movement?

Sometimes I wish I was a scientist or geographer rather than a historian.......

• Like 1

Posted

So - by late Dec we could find ourselves with an upper stratospheric vortex furiously spinning away but for some 1-2 months unable to propagate down and take apart a disrupted vortex and blocking regime in the mid-lower levels and troposphere?

I like the sound of that, particularly if the longer persistence is achieved and we save a warm-up until the sun is gaining appreciable strength again anyway.

Funnily enough, when I was thinking about the QBO last month, I wondered if the easterly lowest levels set against westerly upper levels might promote such a disconnect with abundant zonality high up in the atmosphere but a marked deficit lower down. Interesting times.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Can someone explain Ventrices tweet to me? How does a decline in the Siberian high allow perking up of tropical convection (never heard that said before...) 

Edited by Catacol