Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Up on the hill it's up and down (the temperature).. keeps on dropping and rising between 1.5C and 2.1C.. currently it's 1.9C. 

Edited by SP1986

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Hovering around -2C. Still no cloud 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Temp was -0.7°C half an hour ago, now risen to 3.2°C as the wind veers on-shore. Bye-bye frost, see you again at the weekend. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
3 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Temp was -0.7°C half an hour ago, now risen to 3.2°C as the wind veers on-shore. Bye-bye frost, see you again at the weekend. 

Been above 0C all night here. Dropped to 1.1C at 5am but currently it's 1.8C and rising gradually. Still some frost though

Edited by SP1986

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

one setup when living lower down helps. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

overcast again

Posted

It's 0.4C and feels horrible out here. It's also starting to rain/snow. Can't work out what it is, it's too light. 

Posted

6.8°C here now. Should be not far off double figures by this evening. 

Posted

Not sure why I thought it was snow. I've just checked the uppers; hahah! It's deffo rain. 

• Like 1

Posted

Met Office forecast largely failed for North Wales. Almost no cloud (some cirrus) and -6 C in my garden, on 50cm. I can make a better weather forecast, cheaper :).

20161201_074902[1].jpg

20161130_082829[1].jpg

20161201_074846[1].jpg

Edited by rain_shadow

Posted
5 minutes ago, rain_shadow said:

Met Office forecast largely failed for North Wales. Almost no cloud (some cirrus) and -6 C in my garden, on 50cm. I can make a better weather forecast, cheaper :).

20161201_074902[1].jpg

20161130_082829[1].jpg

20161201_074846[1].jpg

So bizarre.. and not all that far away in Wirral it's +6!

Posted
3 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

So bizarre.. and not all that far away in Wirral it's +6!

Must be the cloud cover..if you have no cloud, it is really bizarre..

Edited by rain_shadow

Posted
6 minutes ago, rain_shadow said:

Must be the cloud cover..if you have no cloud, it is really bizarre..

Blue sky as far as I can see

Posted

20161201_081721.jpg

Posted

There is a breeze but it's very light. shouldn't account for a 12 degree difference within 25 miles.. but that's how interesting local variations can be

Posted

Minimum 5.4°C, currently 7.9°C. There will not be another frost here until the wind veers off-shore again. 

Posted
4 hours ago, rain_shadow said:

Then the sea..? Otherwise overcast skies were forecasted.

It is  all about the sea. Here in Merseyside you can make confident temperature predictions just based on the wind direction relative to the sea; Currently it's on-shore. For you the current direction is not so bad,  and you're probably sheltered a little by The Clwyds and snowdonia. 

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Minimum of -1.8C here last night...looking at Metoffice WOW website it seems places just 50 miles N were at 6C!

Currently 5C

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

This morning was fascinating ... it was dependent not only on the influence of the sea but also topography. Case in point.. at Ness Botanic Gardens right on the coast more or less it was 3 degrees on top of the rock rises frost yet in the dips it was below 0C at the surface with thick frost and frozen water. 

Photos show top of garden v in the dip

The siginificance of including the plant in the first picture is just an indicator of the lack of frost in the area. This plant called Echium candicans (Pride of Madeira) will only take about -2C before it's blackened by frost

20161201_115715.jpg

Edited by SP1986

Posted

And in the dip...

20161201_104541.jpg

Posted

Looks like the wind will finally veer off-shore in the early hours tonight. I expect temperatures to hover between 5-7°C before a sharp drop off by dawn with a possible light grass frost in places. 

Meanwhile: Chaos in the mod thread where  winter is over again and everyone is wrong but for different reasons; let's all give up because nothing will ever go right; what's the point.

Just ignore it, happens every year. Keep looking out for the Christmas period after around the 17th, I'm still very optimistic. 

Posted

Mod thread  is even worse this morning as the EC 46 has mostly droped the signal for cold. Seriously don't go in there if you want to have any sanity left lol. 

The wind is off-shore now but I think cloud is inhibiting the temp from falling. 

Posted
55 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Mod thread  is even worse this morning as the EC 46 has mostly droped the signal for cold. Seriously don't go in there if you want to have any sanity left lol. 

The wind is off-shore now but I think cloud is inhibiting the temp from falling. 

I went on the model output to be amused. Slot of panicking and dillusionment in there. 

I think it's almost a case of "it can't be right that there isn't yet a cold winter with lots of snow!". 

If course the period 1987 to 1994 and then 1996 to 2008 suggests that aside from some moderate cold spells, mild regimes can carry on for decades. 

Still..of course winters not over yet (given it only began yesterday) but whats the point in getting emotionally hung on every run anyway?

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

I'm sure there was snow on some of the Welsh hills this morning. certainly looked that way from here on the Wirral.