Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Getting some right severe gusts here now in Leyland, and we are as low down as you can be! Rain at it again too

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Heavy rain has turned to sleet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

At last the noise of pounding rain has been replaced by something falling which is much quieter on my conservatory roof !!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Hahaha wow  The model thread tonight! Winter is over again because the pub run has had a few too many and is in a bad way lol. I so wanted to post in there just to wind them up more; "where is GP's torpedo?" but I thought i'd get shouted at. I do love Netweather lol. 

• Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, rain_shadow said:

I find it unbelievable that this low was not named, thus people (especially drivers) would have taken it more seriously, if naming is based on the impact it has. It was a loong time ago that I have seen that much continuous rain in a day here, not mentioning the wind. Oh, it did not affect that much the SE, maybe this is why it was not named...Storm Angus affected a smaller part of the country. ...but I have (almost) never heard the METO admitting their faults.

I think it was touch and go whether this low should of got named or not, the rainfall was certainly going to have impacts but wind gusts do seemed to of been downplayed by the forecasts. To my eyes, when I saw this modelled, it did seem the North Western part of the low had quite a tight pressure gradient so strong winds were quite likely and perhaps the winds ended up being slightly stronger as it 'bounced'  over the Pennines.

No doubt this would of been of named if it was more towards the populated areas of the SE though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
20 hours ago, Chris.R said:

Hahaha wow  The model thread tonight! Winter is over again because the pub run has had a few too many and is in a bad way lol. I so wanted to post in there just to wind them up more; "where is GP's torpedo?" but I thought i'd get shouted at. I do love Netweather lol. 

yes, we don't want any more failed torpedoes, maybe this year more mentions of torpedoes, I'll play silent service 2, legendary game to see the only torpedoes

• Like 1

Posted

Still can't get over that deluge of rain on Monday night.  It was like having people lined up outside your house with buckets full of water and then throwing it at your windows, walls & doors on an endless loop.  I've walked through horizontal rain before, but not with that display of force. That was a crazy last 2hrs before it moved north, no wonder it caused havoc around the region....

....now it's all calm and serene with dry conditions forecast for the next 5 days or more.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I can't help thinking there has been a big over-estimation of minimums for this week all round. Clear skies and light winds, with what winds there are coming from an off-shore direction most of the time. It's already 4°C here which it wasn't forecast to reach for another few hours. I can see easily an air frost on several occasions this week. 

Posted
On 22/11/2016 at 01:21, Geordiesnow said:

I think it was touch and go whether this low should of got named or not, the rainfall was certainly going to have impacts but wind gusts do seemed to of been downplayed by the forecasts. To my eyes, when I saw this modelled, it did seem the North Western part of the low had quite a tight pressure gradient so strong winds were quite likely and perhaps the winds ended up being slightly stronger as it 'bounced'  over the Pennines.

No doubt this would of been of named if it was more towards the populated areas of the SE though.

I thought naming is based on the overall impact lows like this one have and not only on wind speed - it is a "funny" situation that cars swimming on the streets in floodwater, yet it is just a passing "low"...otherwise I agree. :)

Edited by rain_shadow

Posted

Really severe frost last night, it's still white over now even with the sun out, beautiful crisp winters day here .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

A month to go to Christmas and its Thanksgiving Day!!!  The bookmakers are now putting odds of 5-1 to snow on Christmas day in Manchester. :)

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Phenomenal 06Z output upgraded from the 00Z cold starting to embed in as from now - should know better and not keep looking too far ahead but this forum could be slightly busy this time next week last spell was reasonable for Cumbria but disappointing for the coasts as usual could do with another 2010.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

I got a feeling the models will be downgrade from the 12z  today.  The beeb put me down only 3C as max on Saturday!!   I'm thinking it is gonna be a foggy end to this week! :cold:

If that happens that makes 3 days of temperatures struggling to reach 5C (In Nov) so far which is certainly much more seasonal compared than this time last year!! :D

Posted

Happy early winter everybody :)

Don't know about anyone else but I'd happily take 3 months of weather like that we have today. Frosty start and cold and clear for the rest of the day ........ still a covering of snow over the tops as well, it's been a while since any early winter snow has hung around for over a day or 2 higher up, some impressive views on offer this morning.   

• Like 1

Posted

Mod thread is looking grim just as I expected. But there is nothing to worry about. There is some foggy and frosty weather to look forward to!! :cold::D  The short road to deep cold has failed but...BUT... The long one isn't!!! :smile:  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
Just now, pip22 said:

Mod thread is looking grim just as I expected. But there is nothing to worry about. There is some foggy and frosty weather to look forward to!! :cold::D  The short road to deep cold has failed but...BUT... The long one isn't!!! :smile:  

Has any deep cold ever been in the charts? 

Have seen a few FI charts showing -8

Uppers and a few FI snow charts but that's about it to many in that thread take every frame as gospel 

going be a long winter in there for quite a lot of folk.

C.S

Posted

BBC weather showing mins of 5c tonight, it feels colder than that now...maybe a bank of cloud will roll in and keep the temps up.

Sometimes like today I leave my phone at home and cannot check the internet.  I should do that more often, then I can skip the 10 pages of up & down, rollercoaster of emotions being displayed in the model thread.  I'll go and check-in now to make sure nobody's topped themselves.

Edited by dodgeredee
  • Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Has any deep cold ever been in the charts? 

Have seen a few FI charts showing -8

Uppers and a few FI snow charts but that's about it to many in that thread take every frame as gospel 

going be a long winter in there for quite a lot of folk.

C.S

I read a post from someone in the model thread showing purple going into Scotland from the north-west this morning.

gfs-3-180.png

Posted

2.7°C already, much lower than forecast again. Just missed out on an air frost last night here but there was one down on the beach at the official met office weather station. Think we may get one here tonight. 

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like we will rack up quite a number of ground frosts at least this November, with most days left of the month producing mins around freezing, most likely below. We are just on the edge at the moment of some proper cold mins, last night we had an air frost but only light. All very seasonal. Yesterday and today have been superb - blue skies, sunshine, no wind and fells all etched white, I'd bank these conditions anytime given this is notoriously a wet period of the year.

• Like 1

Posted

Anither lovely jubbly frost last night, still white over again now, that's two in a row here 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Ground frost today quite a white affair and the coldest night of the season so far with a minimum 0.9C

Edited by SP1986