Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Sorry, not trying to rub it in, but looking on the bright side, this time next week I should be surrounded by snowy mountains, and will probably be running around trying to get the kids hire skis, lift passes, food, booze etc all sorted.

Oh, and just one more working day left this year. :yahoo:

Heck, if the models don't improve by the end of Dec for here then I might just refuse to come back.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I take it the Firth of Clyde and Firth of Forth have dried up? The word isthmus derives from neck, so it's indisputably correct to call it a neck of land...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isthmus_of_Suez

75 miles :) 

It's definitely not a valley, that's ridiculous to suggest it's a valley. Now you're getting even more wrong dude :rofl: 

When I think 'isthmus', I see a spit of land joining to larger landmasses. Although technically the land between the Clyde and the Forth is an isthmus, I think it's more a hippo's neck rather than a giraffe's neck...

Posted
4 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

When I think 'isthmus', I see a spit of land joining to larger landmasses. Although technically the land between the Clyde and the Forth is an isthmus, I think it's more a hippo's neck rather than a giraffe's neck...

Would an Intermontane Basin not be a more relevant term? I just can't agree that it's an Isthmus as to me the bodies of water bounding it need to be substantially wider/larger than the Forth & Clyde rivers.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
1 minute ago, Hairy Celt said:

Storm Barbara may get renamed Storm Blowjob if she's gets a full head of steam up...

Matron!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

:sorry:I don't like it when mummy and daddy argue like this - please stop.......

Posted

Always a good sign when we're debating the validity of an isthmus rather than who will or won't get snow. :D  Cheers for the new word catch!

• Like 2

Posted
50 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Has it really been that dry, we're still water logged down here. It's wet and muddy on the farm where I live:

image.jpgimage.jpg

Agreed any tracked or tramped ground stays very muddy at this time of year but my neighbour up the hill from me was ploughing up dry ground from below  this afternoon and dust was forming on the surface in the strong southerly wind  descending  off the Cairngorms with an RH of 54% , rivers/burns are also very low in this area. May be a different story tomorrow.

• Like 2

Posted

This is just getting daft. 

ukgust.png

• Like 4

Posted

Hang on..... the storm is being UPGRADED rather than downgraded?!

Edited by asjmcguire
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Both the UKMO and GFS have taken the Xmas Day storm slightly further north and it does appear a bit stronger on the GFS. Now over to the ECM.

The 60mph+ gusts zone does now line up with the yellow area of the Met Office warnings. 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The Met-O warnings are for the first storm on the 23rd, we've got two storms coming. 

Good point, I'm getting ahead of myself.....

Posted

Expect new Met Office warnings to arrive soon....

"Everyone in the Northern half of Scotland, cook your Xmas Turkey on Xmas Eve"

• Like 4

Posted

Starting to get (closed) doors moving here - that's always a big sign that it's getting very windy outside.

Posted
4 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

You're optimistic that everyone will have power restored after Friday's storm? Some places could be whacked twice in three days, it could be very ugly :( 

So.... everyone should cook their Christmas dinner - pretty much now then :drunk-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Cook it and eat it now ! Which means I can have my sticky toffee pavlova :yahoo::yahoo:

And isthmus always reminds me of Violet Elizabeth Bott. Who had a listhp.

• Like 6

Posted

Can neither confirm nor deny that I am currently in the process of cooking what I will essentially be eating on Sunday......

(I'm totally cooking a Sunday dinner right now - but for eating tonight, not on Sunday)

Edited by asjmcguire

Posted
Just now, CatchMyDrift said:

It's pseudo-Mexican night here tonight, chilli, spicy rice and cheesy nachos. This isn't weather related I hear you type. It will be when it's windy in my house in the morning. 

Saw the word mexican, and pretty much knew what was coming before reading the rest......

Posted

Highlands are going to take a battering, I don't think the Scottish Borders are going to see the damaging winds, very windy but not exactly out the ordinary in a typical winter, again it's exact 'trajectory' is not nailed yet however the GFS 12z does take it subtly more north, unlikely to see a shift S IMO - it does deepen it more on this run so an upgrade very tightly packed isobars to the N/NW of Scotland gusting in excess of 90mph I feel. I suppose the regions which are to experience the strongest winds are quite sparsely populated, compared to elsewhere in the U.K. It would be a red warning, although I think that's wrong if there's a risk to life then it shouldn't matter how many x people there are. It would probably be the most severe storm seen in a number of years, if it verified like this, minor structural damage, fallen trees, power outrages...pretty ugly for Christmas Day.

IMG_1284.PNG

Edited by Changing Skies
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
32 minutes ago, mardatha said:

And isthmus always reminds me of Violet Elizabeth Bott. Who had a listhp.

Oooooo.........Merry Christhmus !!!!!!:D:santa-emoji:

• Like 9

Posted
21 minutes ago, Changing Skies said:

Highlands are going to take a battering, I don't think the Scottish Borders are going to see the damaging winds, very wind but not exactly out the ordinary in a typical winter, again it's exact 'trajectory' is not nailed yet however the GFS 12z does take it subtly more north, unlikely to see a shift S IMO - it does deepen it more on this run so an upgrade very tightly packed isobars to the N/NW of Scotland gusting in excess of 90mph I feel. I suppose the regions which are to experience the strongest winds are quite sparsely populated, compared to elsewhere in the U.K. It would be a red warning, although I think that's wrong if there's a risk to life then it shouldn't matter how many x people there are. It would probably be the most severe storm seen in a number of years, if it verified like this, minor structural damage, fallen trees, power outrages...pretty ugly for Christmas Day.

IMG_1284.PNG

I don't know - if it verifies and actually turns out as modeled, some of the most damaging gusts will include the population centres of the central Highlands around Inverness and Aberdeen City / Shire. There's over a million people in the north of Scotland and as of now, most of them (if not all of them) will be in the firing line. 

We'll have to keep an eye but I don't think a red warning for Christmas day is out of the question. 

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 7