Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

@northern strath needs to be extending his hoose to fit us all in

3c here and sideways icy rain....not lookin fwd to the 10 minute hike to the Indians for work xmas lunch 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Husband says 3C here earlier, currently blue skies and glimpses of sun - I have blizzard envy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

On this day in 2009....

(I'll you you guess where - if it's going to snow anywhere in the Borders - it will snow here)

DSC01335.jpg

Posted

A kitchen sink morning! Bright sun, brilliant double rainbow, rain, hail, sleet and even a clap of thunder as I was washing the dog down. Who says this December is boring?

Posted

As the squall went through this morning around 7 had one pretty vivid flash of lightning towards Wishaw.  Pretty wild for a spell.  That's about as much lightning as I've seen all year to be honest........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Is it morning yet?   Total lack of light here never mind sunlight!   Peeing down,   4,6c/3,9c/WSW 10mph/ 31mph gust.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Just out of interest while we're reminiscing about snowfalls past, does anyone remember the heavy snow of (I think) late January / early Feb of 2003? While we often go on about 09 and 10 being severe winters, I really 2003 had *a lot* of transient 3/4 day cold spells and the one in late January closed all the schools in Highland for a few days. There was over a foot of snow at the sea level areas of Inverness that year and closer to 2 foot in parts of the city. Was pretty mad!

Posted
42 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

Just out of interest while we're reminiscing about snowfalls past, does anyone remember the heavy snow of (I think) late January / early Feb of 2003? While we often go on about 09 and 10 being severe winters, I really 2003 had *a lot* of transient 3/4 day cold spells and the one in late January closed all the schools in Highland for a few days. There was over a foot of snow at the sea level areas of Inverness that year and closer to 2 foot in parts of the city. Was pretty mad!

I remember that weekend quite well as I was celebrating my 1st wedding anniversary. Stayed at the Dunkeld Hilton on Friday 31st of January & Saturday 1st of February. No snow at all when we left Glasgow (as usual) but there was light flakes blowing in the wind when we stopped in Stirling for lunch with our niece. In the evening as it got dark the light snow carpeted all surfaces in Dunkeld and it was very picturesque. Saturdays walk by the Tay was lovely with everything white and crisp. Not your usual wet snow.

The other thing I remember happening that weekend was the Space Shuttle Columbia crashing on re-entry to earth.:sorry:

Back in Glasgow on the Sunday afternoon and of course there was no snow. However as it got darker the snow started and we ended up with around 2 or 3 inches of snow which hung around until the middle of the week. Not as spectacular as a foot up in Inverness but nice to. Not sure if anyone can can confirm this with charts. Best get back to work as this is my last day in the office! :D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
1 hour ago, NorthernRab said:

My memory fails to serve me well now but it must have been around that time or perhaps a little earlier maybe 2001? we had had a pretty benign winter until 4th February then down it came and deposited around 8"  The shock of that month was still to come though as on the 28th February it snowed again but this time, 24hrs later, we easily had a foot.   The roads were so bad that work in Dunfermline was cancelled and we were told to make for our nearest Social Work service within walking distance of home.   Froze solid for  about 3 days after that.  It was brilliant for quite late in the season.

However, nothing has so far outdone 1984 for me.   Snow upon snow for the whole of January which reached my hips!   (Not difficult, as I'm only 4'10"):)

How's that for a polar vortex?   Weather came in from the NW that month.  Scottish event only as you can see.  Have a look through the archives.

Rrea00119840101.gif

Rrea00219840101.gif

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Kind of lost the enthusiasm for keeping track of the temps at the moment. It was cold enough here overnight though to make the paths, roads, everything rather icy when we were out this morning especially in the shade. Decent enough day though, cool but bright. 

Posted
1 hour ago, chemikal said:

I remember that weekend quite well as I was celebrating my 1st wedding anniversary. Stayed at the Dunkeld Hilton on Friday 31st of January & Saturday 1st of February. No snow at all when we left Glasgow (as usual) but there was light flakes blowing in the wind when we stopped in Stirling for lunch with our niece. In the evening as it got dark the light snow carpeted all surfaces in Dunkeld and it was very picturesque. Saturdays walk by the Tay was lovely with everything white and crisp. Not your usual wet snow.

The other thing I remember happening that weekend was the Space Shuttle Columbia crashing on re-entry to earth.:sorry:

Back in Glasgow on the Sunday afternoon and of course there was no snow. However as it got darker the snow started and we ended up with around 2 or 3 inches of snow which hung around until the middle of the week. Not as spectacular as a foot up in Inverness but nice to. Not sure if anyone can can confirm this with charts. Best get back to work as this is my last day in the office! :D

I've done some searching and I think it was from 28th January until about the 3rd of February. We got a couple to a few days off school in total I think from the Wednesday or Thursday.

Rrea00120030129.gifRrea00220030128.gif

Rrea00120030129.gifRrea00220030129.gif

Rrea00120030130.gifRrea00220030130.gif

Rrea00120030131.gifRrea00220030131.gif

I remember the snow being particularly fluffy - I stayed at home in the morning playing Vice City on my PS2 before going sledging with folk from school! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I remember the Braer Storm well: the only time I can ever recall snow up to the living-room window sill (and all with a WSW gale)...Scotland can really do well given a wee bit of RPM!:santa-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Hairy Celt said:

Very wet sleet here on and off (mostly on) this morning, continuing now.  Stop, now, yuk.

I think it's the perfect "festive" weather. Very befitting of the year 2016. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
8 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

I think it's the perfect "festive" weather. Very befitting of the year 2016. 

Better would be a tornado on Farrago and all his miserable, hateful, weirdo chums...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

3.8c, cloudy, rain, sleet, hail, rain, hail, sleet. Not much in the way of wind.....yet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

not got a very strong internet connection just now, any indication of main times for the storm picking up and latest track etc?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 minutes ago, edo said:

not got a very strong internet connection just now, any indication of main times for the storm picking up and latest track etc?

Appears to be strongest winds for most of us tomorrow morning, continuing gales / storms on hills and around coasts (esp N and W) through to Saturday, then very windy again Sunday morning (esp N and W). Very wet in the W, S and SW Scotland tomorrow, and very wet in the W and NW from Saturday evening on. (Taken from GFS 06 just now.) 

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Northern Strath said:

Heavy snow here and blowing a gale, pretty wild out -1c

Yes  a  bit snowy inland Photo on Carrbridge /Glenferness road. Taken earlier this afternoon after meeting train in  Aviemore

Currently overcast and 1.5c.IMG_0585.JPG

thelastgritterinthehighlands.jpg

IMG_0592.JPG

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Yes  a  bit snowy inland Photo on Carrbridge /Glenferness road.

Aw man. So jealous.

Although I'm heading for Carrbridge for xmas the morn, so there's hope yet.

Meanwhile, here at Riccarton, W. Embra there's slushy crap sticking on car windscreens and it's baltic.

Edited by scottish skier