Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

She says she posted pics on FB but I'm scared to look in case I cry. She's in Flagstaff  at about 7000 ft or something like that.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
12 hours ago, edo said:

keep up @Norrona2015 its positive again lol..... 

still to early to call but worst case its cold and frosty spell from new year and then maybe some reloads...not a bad position to be in

Seems to be going tits up in the MT again with JH scolding folk for being... like folk... All good clean fun I suppose - was fun to see TEITS swatting allcomers last night. 

Entertainment here is puss using my head as launchpad for triple jump training, straight after a visit to the veg patch cludgie. Mmmm 

• Like 1

Posted

Afternoon all.  Heading to Moray Firth for New Year and pleased to see a Northerly in the forecast.  I'll be right on the coast though (Lossiemouth) - any local views on whether it will likely be rain snow or something in between in that cold air?

Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

lol yes @Hairy Celt I was sniggering away last night, Teits was on the sherry I think...great stuff

the upcoming spell seems quite cold with very cold uppers but on the MT are getting there nickers in a twist because the next cold spell is being watered down....whether its snowy or not in the first shot then under these uppers and a northerly breeze we are sure to be chilly 

IMG_4989.PNG.a65b76e2e378aaa674092d9eee6b1124.PNG

Edited by edo
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, pdiddy said:

Afternoon all.  Heading to Moray Firth for New Year and pleased to see a Northerly in the forecast.  I'll be right on the coast though (Lossiemouth) - any local views on whether it will likely be rain snow or something in between in that cold air?

Thanks

I don't think you'll know till it arrives... It's probably a similar game to Edinburgh with stuff coming off the firth - you see nice cold uppers modelled etc., then you get sleet.  I've asked locals in Buckie about snow and they say it might fall, but it's rare to see more than transient lying snow in the town - Lossie will be the same.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

I don't think you'll know till it arrives... It's probably a similar game to Edinburgh with stuff coming off the firth - you see nice cold uppers modelled etc., then you get sleet.  I've asked locals in Buckie about snow and they say it might fall, but it's rare to see more than transient lying snow in the town - Lossie will be the same.

Thanks HC. As you say, Edinburgh can be the same... I've seen rain forecast and seen 6 inches of snow fall.  Likewise rain/sleet when it's off the sea.  I'll post on the day to confirm!

Posted
5 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

Thanks HC. As you say, Edinburgh can be the same... I've seen rain forecast and seen 6 inches of snow fall.  Likewise rain/sleet when it's off the sea.  I'll post on the day to confirm!

If its snow you're after, how about a New years day walk down Aviemore. The forecast, at this time, is for snow through the day with highs of 2c.

• Like 1

Posted

Back home after the trip to Lancashire and then Glasgow. Nursing a hangover!

So question is will the New Year cold spell put an end to my snow drought (for those unaware the last time I had a cm of snow on the ground at home was December 2010). I thought the move to Broughty Ferry might (marginally) improve my chances. It would be hilarious if Crail got snow and Dundee missed out. Well, no actually it wouldn't. 

Having said that the mountains to the north usually ensure we miss out on the showers in a northerly but you never know if a little feature will crop up at short notice. Consider the straws well and truly clutched!:D

• Like 3

Posted

Looks like 2016 is going out with a yawn weather-wise.. I'm sure most will be glad to see the back of it. Not overly mild here today and yesterday, you still need to wrap up if you're venturing out to scavenge for greasy food to avenge a hangover. Snow cover has dropped but still intact

Seems the "squirrel proof" bird feeders we've put out aren't very "squirrel proof". Now they have their feed box *plus* an elaborate climbing frame, fun, feed box. Crafty wee buggers will bankrupt me through nut consumption one day

image.png

• Like 8

Posted
3 hours ago, Northern Strath said:

Looks like 2016 is going out with a yawn weather-wise.. I'm sure most will be glad to see the back of it. Not overly mild here today and yesterday, you still need to wrap up if you're venturing out to scavenge for greasy food to avenge a hangover. Snow cover has dropped but still intact

Seems the "squirrel proof" bird feeders we've put out aren't very "squirrel proof". Now they have their feed box *plus* an elaborate climbing frame, fun, feed box. Crafty wee buggers will bankrupt me through nut consumption one day

image.png

At least it's the right colour of squirrel! :D

• Like 4

Posted
10 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

If you're happy with four wet snowflakes and a frost then nothing can go wrong :) 

I've seen pictures of scenes like that posted, followed by some pretty excited comments. Four weddings and a funeral?

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

If you're happy with four wet snowflakes and a frost then nothing can go wrong :) 

The 7th of January, the date that currently has the model thread foaming at the mouth, is the day I will be on a euro bound plane. This will of course be the rare occasion the models verify with yours truly stuck at Aberdeen airport. Surely not.....surely not  >.<

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Have you had your surgery yet?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Have you had your surgery yet?

No, letting it settle first as the tendon ends are all in line, so chance they will scar correctly thus no surgery, but wont know for about 2 weeks, if they do start will be in brace for about 4 months!!!, so my winter is over. :wallbash:

Posted

Well you will just have to hope for the first option then Cheggers.   Pretty boring having to rest for 2 weeks though.   I suppose that guarantees snow for the rest of us then?!:D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
4 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Well you will just have to hope for the first option then Cheggers.   Pretty boring having to rest for 2 weeks though.   I suppose that guarantees snow for the rest of us then?!:D

We should all just pretend we have snow anyway and post pictures of snow we had years ago to the thread...... and then when Cheggers is mobile again - we can claim it all melted away....

(and if we need an excuse - it'll be because huge chunks of WeatherToolV2 don't work or point to links that no longer exist)

Edited by asjmcguire
  • Like 3

Posted
7 hours ago, Cheggers said:

No, letting it settle first as the tendon ends are all in line, so chance they will scar correctly thus no surgery, but wont know for about 2 weeks, if they do start will be in brace for about 4 months!!!, so my winter is over. :wallbash:

Stay positive! Back in March 2015 I came off the snowboard at speed at Les Arcs and landed heavily on my right knee. I was carted off to accident and emergency at the nearest town, with my knee the size of a small football, and was told that i'd either broken or dislocated my knee cap. Had initial inspection, x-rays etc which fortunately confirmed no break or dislocation, I then had an appointment booked with a consultant 48 hours later. Turns out the consultant looked after the French olympic ski team and was an absolute star. He explained I'd been very lucky and there was no damage to my ACL or MCL. 

Chin up!

• Like 1

Posted

Bit of an understatement Catch!   My word I don't think I have ever seen a run like that in all my time on Netweather.   We can but dream.........Someone even posted a -21c over Scotland!   Still, half of what is predicted on that run would do me.

:rolleyes:

gens-0-0-276.png

gens-0-1-276.png

gens-0-2-276.png

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I'm at work and I only saw up to about +192hrs. Now I've seen the rest of it...that run will be known as "THAT GFS". Someone broke the machine:

IMG_1598.PNG

Strangest of strange looking charts. We're all going to die under 20 feet of snow.

Calor arrived yesterday so - that's fine it can snow away.

(PS - saw a documentary a few years back about how the supermarkets rely on longer range weather forecasts to ensure they are stocking the right things, and one of the snippets of information that came out - is that when there is going to be a cold spell - they drop the price of soup to 50p a tin about 2 weeks in advance. Guess what happened yesterday........

And while it does seem like an urban myth - since I saw that documentary I've kept a close eye on tins of soup and can confirm that between 1-2 weeks before a cold spell - the tins of Heinz soup do indeed drop to 50p a tin)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Maybe we should let the supermarkets issue the forecasts then - they would probably be better at it.

• Like 5

Posted
39 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Maybe we should let the supermarkets issue the forecasts then - they would probably be better at it.

Looking at the number of members going for -10 850s after the brief cold spell - I'd say they might be on to something.....

GEFS last 4 runs.

graphe3_1001___-2.46373_55.70622_.png

For info - I think this was the documentary - http://www.channel4.com/info/press/programme-information/human-swarm

Edited by asjmcguire

Posted

6z GFS is almost comically good, even HC and I would see snow from that.:D

At Leuchars the 850s are below -6c from +192 to the end of the run, and mostly in the -10c to -12c range! THicknesses down to 508 dam. Highly unlikely to come off of course, but we can certainly raise a ft least an eyebrow! :D

• Like 2